Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an S&W Mod. 14 amonth or so ago it has an 83/8 inche barrel nice fun gun to shoot. Only problem ya can't open the cylinder. The gun works single or double no problem. So I take to a big gun store in Austin Texas the name is Mac Bride's famous for working on guns. Great and the shop that I bought the gun from is going to pay for the repairs nice of them I thought. This gets better, I took the gun their this pasted Saturday. I was told to call Wednessday, I did so and got the repair shop, and the young man that answered the phone was nice but sure didn't know beans about guns. I told him who I was and that I had dropped off a Mod 14 for repair. He then ask' what is a Mod 14 my heart just fell to the floor. I explained that it was a S&W Mod 14 then he really gets me with this next question he asked sir is that a rifle or shotgun. I am down for the count at this point, I told him no its a pistol. He couldn't find it., I am happeir still, finally I get the gun smith and he tells me its a waitting parts. And by the way I should get a discount on the repair as I figured out what the problem was in the first place. I told him I thought the center pin had worn done but that I didn't see how that could happen. Turns out I was right the center pin was 1/16 of an inch too short according to him. I have own smiths for years and have never heard of the center pen wearing down at all.
Anyhow I should have it back in a few weeks. Strange stoy I know.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My hackles went up on this story, Snuffy-none of the dozens of S&Ws I've had ever "wore down the center pin"....but at least 10 of them did suffer from an ejector rod that'd loosen up and make the cylinder release not work...I'd screw it back tight and the cylinder would open fine and last a few hundred rounds before loosening again...last one that happened to was the M65 I'm carrying today...no need for parts...maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't go fishin' with your gunsmith...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sheepdog,
That was the very first thing I checked and that rod was as tight as I could get it. I too have never heard of that center pen wearing down, the gun does look to shoot that much seems to me if it was the barrel would be a smooth bore for sure. Weird is the only word that comes close and that is not saying much. And the biggest problem is that is Mac Brides in Austin known throughout the state as the place to go to get if fixed.
There was something wrong with the gun for sure as no one could get it open, not the normal way of doing it. I have no idea sheepdog this is sure a new one on me.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I don't have a gunsmith I can really trust anymore-Clint Metcalf, the best hereabouts is mostly retired...he's top notch...the good ones are going going gone...gotta find another cause I'm not gonna tinker with my own!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
havn't been to McBrides in a long, long, time but whenever i went to Austin it was a must place for me to go. Guess they are in the same spot. did they ever improve parking? a nightmare to try to get into sometimes.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope parking is the same and the traffic has gotten worse

·
Registered
576 Posts
Snuffy...this is almost as bad as some of the clowns that worked the gun departments in K-Mart and Wally World. I am glad they are getting out of the gun business. They should never have been in it.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ron your right gone are the days of the slaes person that knows their prodcut, not only in guns but everything. Sad news all the way around if ya ask me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts