Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a fellow officer at work that says he knows his stuff about and M1 Garand. So I asked him how do you get the operating rod and bolt out for cleaning. He tells me just spray gun scrubber in their let it dry and oil it with rem oil. He was telling me he shot dcm compation.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the operating rod was taken out by pulling it back the nich and lefting up and out. Mind you the op spring is taken out before this is attemped.
So many experts out there. I am just amazed.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The Garand is totally out of my league so I will be learning from you as you post your words on the subject. Never know--one of these yrs one may come my way. About the only thing i know other than basic operation is warnings of "garand thumb" which i can visualize. And to watch out for wallered out barrels from too much cleaning. A guy showed his garand barrel that he had replaced and took a .308 bullet (just the bullet--no case) and dropped it down the muzzle of the barrel. It went in about a half inch. Said it was an orginal barrel that had seen the cleaning rod one too many times. Never thought someone could damage a barrel that much in such a manor.
Glad i use that brass guard on my muzzle loader.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deputy125, yes that can happen pretty easy. I h\now ever use the snake by hoppies. No patched and does a grand job too. Check one out one of these days. Man oh man clean a pistol barrel fast easy, clean up even easier on the snake wash it in the dish wasker or in a pan of warm water, hang it up and let it dry. hoppies has got something there I think.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Being kinda new at all this, I still feel pretty awkward when it comes to cleaning my guns. But I do have a .357 snake that I use for my GP100 and the Marlin lever action, and another for 30-30 for my Winchester 94. Seems to work really well, although I don't have anything to compare it to. But it is easy. I like it because I can feed it from the receiver end without taking it apart. Same with the revolver. I haven't used them enough to have to clean them, Snuffy, but I'm glad it's an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EddieF,
Pal, I was new to guns once my self, and I learned just like you reading watching and so forth. Your doing fine buddy you shoot straight and you tell the truth. Those snakes are hard to beat for sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like the snakes, too. One thing I learned early is to avoid the cheap cleaning kits with their crappy attachments. One day I hope to score a nice old oak tool maker's chest and devote it to gun care stuff.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep they are nice to have

·
Banned
723 Posts
I grew up hearing the old adage, "More guns are ruined by cleaning than overshooting."

What the Old Man meant was, clean it before hunting season, sight it in and then leave it alone until next hunting season. For self defensive guns we usually go 200-500 rounds between cleaning. I believe that you can "overclean" a gun and remove a microscopic amount of metal each time you clean it. If you shoot and clean your guns a lot, like the Garand mentioned, that can add up to a lot of metal over the years.

Heck, I shot a CAS match three months ago, haven't cleaned the guns yet. I clean my rifle and shotgun once a year, handguns, like I mentioned above. Bear in mind, my cleaning is a total disassemble and clean. :)

Biker

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm no chemist, or even an engineer, but due to the possible effect of galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals, I don't like to leave a steel bore full of copper and lead for too long.

I'm careful, and use a bore guide when I clean, which is at most, a few days after use.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tweek,
Had a gun smith show me how but I really like the video as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts