Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I guess I should say goodbye to everyone. In the last three days we have received no less then eight calls from the "IRS" saying they were filing suit against us and that we need to call them back. I'm sure, since I've ignored these "official" calls, they they will be sending the "official officer" (which they threatened to do in a call last month) to take me away. Woe is me... Please write...(LMAO) Anybody else getting these calls so I'll know who to look for when I get to the IRS Headquarters?

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Did you receive anything in writing? The IRS always sends written notices.
I was just looking at one earlier for a client.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
I get calls like that for anything from "your computer is infected and I'm from Microsoft here to help" to "You are under investigation for tax fraud, give is a CC number or checking account number now so we can collect or we will send someone out."

Mostly I hang up, but sometimes I can't resist and have fun with them. I take it as a personal challenge to get them to hang up on me. Believe me, if they think there is any hope of scamming you they will not hang up so it is a fine balance on how long you can drag them along before they hang up.

First rule of the game, NEVER utter the word "yes" for any reason. Some scams want a recording of you saying yes or affirmative etc... So avoid that. I say things like "that is me" or "it is" but nothing that can be remixed to answer their question as yes.

That out of the way, I like to start by not being able to hear them, just how loud can I get them to yell on the phone? Next, I generally move to having them explain the same thing repeatedly. One way to do that is to keep misunderstanding them. I'm old right? So make sure you forget who they are and ha e them reidentify themselves several times. Believe me, if you are having a boring day and need to have little fun, this can fill the bill.

Life is short, annoy a phone scam artist

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is a large scam that has been going on for a while with people calling out of the blue, claiming to be from the IRS, and demanding a credit card number. I believe the IRS has a press release about it.

The real IRS Collection people won't call you, except perhaps if you called them after receiving a letter and left your phone number. They will never ask for a credit card number or anything like that.

When they reach a real IRS Agent who pushes back a bit they start sounding nervous and then hang up real quick.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
It's a scam, they tried to get my wife as well, tell them to go fly a kite
This is exactly right. One co-worker received "threatening calls", from the IRS demanding payment. It's all BS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You need to read this guys tactics for suing telemarketers... He has sued and recovered thousands of $$$$$

Calguns.net

You will need to create an account, but well worth anyones time to get some $$$ out of telemarketers...

·
Registered
362 Posts
All IRS communication is done by mail. The only time they talk on the phone is if you call them.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Not the IRS but I was threaten with arrest warrants if I did not return their call. I am still walking around free but hide behind trees and stuff when I see the police.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes, I know it's a scam. The first time they called, about a month ago, it was a live person and they wanted bank info or the "official officer" would be by tomorrow to arrest me. I told the guy, "Bring it." and he said (in a heavy accent) "what?" So I repeated "Bring it." and he hung up. No, "official officer" ever showed up. This recent series of calls has been a female robo-voice saying they were filing suit and I need to call them back. I suppose they'll ask for the bank info again if I were to call back, (which I'm not that stupid). They've probably figured out if someone's dumb enough to call back then they've got a live one on the hook instead of wasting a bunch of time cold-calling random numbers. I guess their random number generator for their robo-caller isn't too good as they keep calling me over and over.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Well...I guess I should say goodbye to everyone. In the last three days we have received no less then eight calls from the "IRS" saying they were filing suit against us and that we need to call them back. I'm sure, since I've ignored these "official" calls, they they will be sending the "official officer" (which they threatened to do in a call last month) to take me away. Woe is me... Please write...(LMAO) Anybody else getting these calls so I'll know who to look for when I get to the IRS Headquarters?
I got two calls last month.
I don't answer calls I don't recognize, so they left a voicemail.
I blocked the number and the next day they called and when the number was blocked they called again using a different number.
They left the same voicemail message.
I blocked that 2nd number as well and have not heard from them again.
Scammers are persistent, but not very smart

·
Registered
76 Posts
They don't have to hit very often to make it worth their while. I tried to help a guy once that fell for the Nigerian scam. He lost over $100,000. He took the money out of his IRA account and was going to have to pay income tax and a penalty on that amount. All I could tell him was he could take a theft loss deduction.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
But...But...this time there's an Official Officer!

Redhawker it's been good to know ya. Guess you shouldn't have taken that $25 deduction huh!

:D

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
We got one a few weeks ago and they left a message. A scam!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If you're in biz for yourself and file S Corp or LLC they will not send a letter but show up at your biz address in person. Happened to a friend whose acct. screwed up.

·
Administrator
22,267 Posts
If they call live it's time to have some fun.

·
Royal Emissary
1,083 Posts
I feel slighted. I only get the "we can lower the interest rate on your credit cards" scam phone calls.:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts