Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a standard 10/22 with a butler creek folding stock, and a basic scope on it, and we have been going back and forth about me building another one. I actually want to build two more- one in some form of tacticool or military furniture like an M1 or Thompson, but don't like the price, and I want to build a much higher end target build.

This one falls into the tacticool category without being too cheesy, and I can work with minor upgrades on trigger etc like my other ones, so we have been going back and forth on trades, so I decided to trade a Mossberg 500 in .410 bore and about 150 rounds in ammo for this:
IMG_1272.JPG

I am happy with the trade, he is happy because he wants his wife to have a decent shotgun she's not afraid to shoot (and I have two of them anyway).

So this puts me at 3 10/22's and plans for at least one more... Maybe two... or so... :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I purchased a standard stainless steel model two years ago and it is now it has a 18" Kidd target barrel a new stock, trigger, Hey wait it is easier to say all thats left is the bolt and receiver. I just ordered an M1 carbine version pre-made from ruger 21102 it was cheaper than building it myself and leaves me plenty of upgrade options. Glass bedding, BX trigger, etcetera and so on. This is becoming one of my favorite guns to shoot I may need more even if they are just different colors.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,856 Posts
No one on this forum will fault you for wanting more 10/22 rifles. In fact, if you own less than two we might consider you weird. Enjoy shooting, modifying, and collecting your Rugers!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,311 Posts
My first 10/22 was an older standard carbine with a walnut stock and metal appointments. I bought A Butler Creek folding stock for it but seldom use it. Later I fell in lust with a stainless 10/22 with a walnut Manlicher stock. Then I ran into a smokin' deal on a donor 10/22 that I used for a custom build …. super accurate but way too heavy to tote for hunting. Finally …. don't know what I was thinking but I just had to have a stainless 10/22 TD. These are all way fun guns and cheap to feed. I use more expensive match grade ammo in my "build" for superb accuracy but cheap bulk ammo seems to shoot just fine in my other three "minute of bean can" 10/22s.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No one on this forum will fault you for wanting more 10/22 rifles. In fact, if you own less than two we might consider you weird. Enjoy shooting, modifying, and collecting your Rugers!
Ha ha thanks! I have always liked them, but when I only had one, it was the takedown, and while it's fun to shoot, I always preferred the Marlin 60 over it, no idea why... Now that I have a couple 10/22's, I can see why everyone says they are one of the best (if not the best) 22 semi rifle out there. The options are endless for just about every component! I really love them, and realistically can see myself having a half dozen in a year or so...

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
I have one 10/22 with a scope that I bought at an estate auction for less than $200 ... I'm a stock kind of guy so i have kept it the way the original owner had it ... fun and accurate ... eats any 22lr i feed it ...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ha ha thanks! I have always liked them, but when I only had one, it was the takedown, and while it's fun to shoot, I always preferred the Marlin 60 over it, no idea why... Now that I have a couple 10/22's, I can see why everyone says they are one of the best (if not the best) 22 semi rifle out there. The options are endless for just about every component! I really love them, and realistically can see myself having a half dozen in a year or so...
Yes, endless variations out there for the 10/22. I'm a stock guy myself but I have a couple of friends that have been pretty creative, at the end of the day its a great gun even if you do nothing to it.

Reliability is the key for me, I've had so few malfunctions over the years, even back in the day using the bulk milk carton ammo.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, endless variations out there for the 10/22. I'm a stock guy myself but I have a couple of friends that have been pretty creative, at the end of the day its a great gun even if you do nothing to it.

Reliability is the key for me, I've had so few malfunctions over the years, even back in the day using the bulk milk carton ammo.
I use primarily stock parts for trigger group, bolt etc, just do easy upgrades with stocks, barrels, etc. There are just so many cool variations out there

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here the folding stock model, it’s pretty sweet 🙂 was new when my buddy got it, I traded my Mossberg 500E and some shells for it

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I completely agree- I try to shoot every brand ammo out there and make them work as well as I can, part of the reason I don’t want match grade barrels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
https://imgur.com/XYvDjqn

Here is one of my 10-22, I picked it up while looking for a gift for my wife one Christmas eve at Dicks sporting goods. It had a threaded barrel and front sights,and a special stock with two diff. combs. I put the Tech sights on the front that got me above the suppressor. And I used the stock receiver rail to mount the UTG low app. sight at the rear. It was the cheapest way to go for a rear aperture sight and a tall enough front to work together. And you get a 1/3 cowitness with the TRS 25. I also used the UTG and the TRS on my PC 9. I made a 1/8 shim for the front stock sight on the PC. I also get a 1/3 cowitness.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
https://imgur.com/XYvDjqn

Here is one of my 10-22, I picked it up while looking for a gift for my wife one Christmas eve at Dicks sporting goods. It had a threaded barrel and front sights,and a special stock with two diff. combs. I put the Tech sights on the front that got me above the suppressor. And I used the stock receiver rail to mount the UTG low app. sight at the rear. It was the cheapest way to go for a rear aperture sight and a tall enough front to work together. And you get a 1/3 cowitness with the TRS 25. I also used the UTG and the TRS on my PC 9. I made a 1/8 shim for the front stock sight on the PC. I also get a 1/3 cowitness.
That is a nice looking popgun. Is that a suppressor?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes it is the sos 22 can by Rebel out of Texas. Screw on stacks so you can make it shorter It is I think 7.50'' with all the baffles. Very light 7075 alum. Not rated for full auto! When these first came out it was 99 dollars.I give 150 for it and 250 for a 30 cal can. They suit my needs just fine. I use the 30 cal on my RA 762x39 and my gb mini, or a 10-22 .Ive got 40 acres but my mother inlaw is my nearest neighbor.So I like to make as little noise as possible.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it is the sos 22 can by Rebel out of Texas. Screw on stacks so you can make it shorter It is I think 7.50'' with all the baffles. Very light 7075 alum. Not rated for full auto! When these first came out it was 99 dollars.I give 150 for it and 250 for a 30 cal can. They suit my needs just fine. I use the 30 cal on my RA 762x39 and my gb mini, or a 10-22 .Ive got 40 acres but my mother inlaw is my nearest neighbor.So I like to make as little noise as possible.
very cool. Tough to get suppressors in my area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts