Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of putting thinner grips on my SR1911 to better fit my small hands. I'm going to make the grip panels out of oak, think they will be a nice contrast with the stainless steel frame and black parts. Should I leave them smooth or try my hand at checkering? Can anyone recommend bushings/screws for use with the thin grips? I know Brownells and I think Midway sell some but have heard some having bad threads or they strip out easily.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Over torque of grip screws seems to be a common mistake.. Be careful - it's only wood and pretty thin at that. Products from either vendor should be good (see above).

Smooth vs. checkered? There is no one answer. It's up to you and your hands. I have both on my pistols and it depends on their shape, caliber, use, etc. It's up to you.

I'd start with pine first. It's cheaper and easier to work with so you can define your desired shape first. Then start with the expensive wood that's harder to use.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have some poplar available that I'll experiment with first, thanks for the tip. I did put some walnut grips on an old Auto-Ordnance 1911 years ago, I should have spent more time on them than I did. Perhaps I'll make two sets in the poplar... one smooth and one checkered and see which feels better with the gun. Thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts