Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a trip to Academy Sports yesterday. The ammo shelves were stocked better than I have seen for a long time. There were full selections of calibers, manufacturers, and bullet types. I saw a shelf full of Aguila .22lr for $2.99/50. There were choices in .380acp defensive loads. It was wonderful. Still no primers or 20ga birdshot though. I bought some .308 hunting loads, carry ammo in 9mm and .380, some 150gr Hornady Interlock bullets to load, some targets, and a couple of items from the fishing clearance bin. I really enjoyed the shopping trip!
Audio equipment Gadget Technology Computer hardware Electronic component

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It is still kind of weird around me. I routinely stop at Basspro, Academy, Rural King, and Walmart.

Walmart never has much, but is cheap when they do.

The other 3 are much better stocked but I still can not find 30-06, 38SP, 357........or 35REM (which is a unicorn I know). Prices are now settling in on what appears to be the new holding point.

I see Norma in your picture, I assume you know they sell direct and prices are pretty darn good.

I am strongly considering buying a new Ruger Hawkeye in 308 to avoid future ammo hassles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only caliber that I use that I'm having a really hard time finding is .38 Special.

9mm and .223 - 5.56 seem to be plentiful, which sure hasn't been the case for the last couple of years.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Speaking of ammo, LocoTex mentioned. 38 special.
Here in Naples I found a lot of .38 specials in two local gun shops.
However; one store was $65.00 and the other was over $70 dollars per box of 50 rounds.
Ouch, suddenly shooting my .22 guns is the way to go and save the 38s in case I get into trouble.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The only caliber that I use that I'm having a really hard time finding is .38 Special.

9mm and .223 - 5.56 seem to be plentiful, which sure hasn't been the case for the last couple of years.
The .357mag and 38spl are still needles in the haystack around here....22cal and 9mm is plentiful!
Look up Normashooting.com

Last time I was there 38 SP was $23/50 in stock with free shipping over $150. And you know you need that much... 😉

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,489 Posts
Things are not looking up for the newest generation of shooters in junior high or high school trap. Target shotshells, if you can find them, have gone from around $54 a flat to $84 a flat, pre-tax. And that's at Walmart prices. Most sporting goods stores are $10-20 per flat higher than that. And that's just for the cheap low-antimony loads. If you want high-antimony / hard shot AA loads for handicap distances it's more like $115 a flat @ Walmart, if they have them, which was ~$75 three years ago.

For a kid who goes through 20 flats a year, that's an increase from ~$1100 previously to ~$1,700 scrounging Walmarts, or $2,100 at Scheels or Cabelas prices. And your best shooters are going to possibly shoot 30 or more flats a year. And many families have more than one kid in the sport. And that's on top of the cost of living going up on everything else at the same time.

This is no longer a function of "ammo panic buying" like we had during the social unrest of 2020. This is now the same as all the horrible inflation the country is seeing under the Brandon administration. The Department of Labor / Bureau of Labor statistics released their Consumer Price Index this week, and inflation is now standing at a 7% annual rate.

And yet the Brandon administration's answer for everything is "spend more money" when any Econ 101 college course will remind you that government spending worsens inflation by driving up the demand curve for goods and services. And it's a double-whammy when they want to spend more money on social benefits that make it easier for people to not work.

And yet the highest priority legislative agenda for Brandon right now is federalizing state elections.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Our local Walmart had 100 packs of Winchester AA 20 gauge for 24.88 last week and it is 44.88 this week. So much for shooting clays.
I haven't shot clays for 2 years. I have a few boxes each of 12 Ga & 20 Ga, but I don't like the feeling that I can't replenish. I've got a few boxes of clays also,and a decent thrower. I have access to a place open year round. I sometimes think I should just shoot through what I've got, then just sell the shotguns. It's the only thing I use them for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look up Normashooting.com

Last time I was there 38 SP was $23/50 in stock with free shipping over $150. And you know you need that much... 😉
I didn't know I needed that much but thanks! Picking up my 1st 357 soon. Now I figure to buy a box or 2 of 357 defense and be set. Getting a 4" Kimber KS6 target model.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
I haven't shot clays for 2 years. I have a few boxes each of 12 Ga & 20 Ga, but I don't like the feeling that I can't replenish. I've got a few boxes of clays also,and a decent thrower. I have access to a place open year round. I sometimes think I should just shoot through what I've got, then just sell the shotguns. It's the only thing I use them for.
Don't sell bud ...

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't know I needed that much but thanks! Picking up my 1st 357 soon. Now I figure to buy a box or 2 of 357 defense and be set. Getting a 4" Kimber KS6 target model.
If you're stepping down from the .44mag then your plan may be valid. If not, it takes a lot more than two boxes of ammo to master the .357mag. If this is your first magnum revolver plan to spend time and money at the range. Shooting .38spl loads makes for great fun and familiarization with the gun, but magnums are another animal. The blast and recoil will require practice to overcome. I learned on the .357 platform and the skills transferred to all other handgun shooting . I started handloading to learn the .357 magnum in the 1980's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're stepping down from the .44mag then your plan may be valid. If not, it takes a lot more than two boxes of ammo to master the .357mag. If this is your first magnum revolver plan to spend time and money at the range. Shooting .38spl loads makes for great fun and familiarization with the gun, but magnums are another animal. The blast and recoil will require practice to overcome. I learned on the .357 platform and the skills transferred to all other handgun shooting . I started handloading to learn the .357 magnum in the 1980's.
As far as revolvers go, I started with the 500 S&W magnum :)
I don't really plan to shoot 357 much until it comes well under $1/rd.
The only thing that makes me recoil lately has been prices.
Here's to that bargain bin having something left for me, lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Midway had IMI 9mm box of 1000 jhp ended up after tax and shipping about $.60 per. A guy at the shop didn’t want 1000 do we split it.
Doubt if it will work in my Browning High Powers but I’m on the lookout for a compact 9mm. The High Power tend to be fussy with hollow points.

gun show in town tomorrow.

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as revolvers go, I started with the 500 S&W magnum :)
I don't really plan to shoot 357 much until it comes well under $1/rd.
The only thing that makes me recoil lately has been prices.
Here's to that bargain bin having something left for me, lol.
IF YOU ARE USED TO THE .500 THE .357 WILL FEEL LIKE A .22LR! I love shooting my .44 magnums for fun, and am very competent with the .460 S&W. I don't enjoy the .500 at all. Too much of a good thing for me!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It is still kind of weird around me. I routinely stop at Basspro, Academy, Rural King, and Walmart.

Walmart never has much, but is cheap when they do.

The other 3 are much better stocked but I still can not find 30-06, 38SP, 357........or 35REM (which is a unicorn I know). Prices are now settling in on what appears to be the new holding point.

I see Norma in your picture, I assume you know they sell direct and prices are pretty darn good.

I am strongly considering buying a new Ruger Hawkeye in 308 to avoid future ammo hassles.
Norma's website store did have competitive prices recently. Free shipping over $150.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
For those of you looking for .38, you should get on the mailing lists for SG Ammo, Tactical Sh!t and Target Sports USA. They are starting to have .38 appear for as low as $.60 per round, making it more reasonable to get a case at a time. SG Ammo and Target Sports also offer free shipping if you buy by the case.

SG Ammo is particularly good at sending detailed emails with their latest in-stock options.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts