Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arthritis in my neck and shoulder has become bad enough so that shooting rifles is not a wise thing to do, so I’ve been shooting and buying more handguns. I have an old Ruger Standard that my father bought brand new in 1950 for $37.50. I field stripped it once a few years ago. What a nightmare. If it wasn’t for a YouTube video, I would never have figured out how to get it apart and no way could I have got it back together, and it took the patients of two of us to get it back together. There was 50 years plus of powder residue inside. Wish I’d taken a photo. I decided that I would never take that gun apart again, and have not even shot it since. I don’t shoot .22's much, but I see more of that in my future. Hence some interest in the MK IV. I decided on the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Target, however I started looking at the Ruger Mark IV Lite, mostly because of the threaded barrel, tho I’ve never had any interest in Suppressors. I did discover that the Lite has a very thin barrel and that is a concern. A cool looking gun, but the thin barrel? Why they do that?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
If you have no interest in a suppressor, I would get the target, not the lite. I personally like the heavier guns. They hold better for me.

·
Exchequer
4,493 Posts
I have a Mark IV Competition model. Nice heavy barrel and shoots like a dream. Very accurate ....and it looks darn pretty too.

BTW, I found that if I follow the reassembly instructions from the Mark II manual, the Standard goes back together more easily.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lite is kind of a cool looking gun, but I think the target model will be the wiser purchase for me and besides, it’s $102 cheaper than the lite and the light is almost 10 ounces lighter.

Now for another question. Has anyone that has bought a new MK IV recently received a gun where fit and finish left something to be desired? Poor bluing job or anything else?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I got the hunter and found out they stopped sending them out with a V notch rear sight, I was pretty upset. But a call to ruger and the issue was resolved, I cant speak highly enough of their CS dept.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine arrived in pristine condition.
The reason I asked is because I recently received a brand new GP100 that had a deep rust spot on the barrel and the worst excuse for a bluing job I’ve ever seen. Machine marks showed thru the bluing. I sent it back. It got re-blued and polished and looks great. This is the second new Ruger I have bought and both had to go back to Ruger. All of the used Rugers I have bought have been nothing but excellent, so I am a little hesitant at buying another brand new Ruger.

Ruger Quality Control seems to be nonexistent but their Customer Service is excellent. It’s like they are from two different companies.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I got the hunter and found out they stopped sending them out with a V notch rear sight, I was pretty upset. But a call to ruger and the issue was resolved, I cant speak highly enough of their CS dept.
Just goes to show everybody has different likes. I couldn't stand the "vee" notch rear sight...couldn't hit a darn thing with the shallow vee , called them up , complained and they sent me a regular square notch sight ...now I can hit what I'm aiming at .
To me , the Vee - sucks rocks !
Gary

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If I had Arthritis in the neck, I would prefer the light. The heavier pistols will be easier to keep on target. But they will also put strain on the arms and neck area if prolonged shooting is desired.

The light will be much more comfortable to shoot with your problems. Just have to concentrate on trigger control and breathing a little more.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I’d suggest going to a local shop where you can handle the light and target models. See which one works best for you. I’m not sure you need to worry about the barrel on the Lite model. Perhaps someone else here can address that issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Just goes to show everybody has different likes. I couldn't stand the "vee" notch rear sight...couldn't hit a darn thing with the shallow vee , called them up , complained and they sent me a regular square notch sight ...now I can hit what I'm aiming at .
To me , the Vee - sucks rocks !
Gary
I couldn't see the square notch and the V with white line are excellent for me. My eyes must be older than yours LOL

·
Registered
230 Posts
I understand your pain. I too suffer from arthritis and had a cervical fusion of the c5,6,7 in my neck. One answer to shooting rifles was to build our table taller so our neck wasn't in a bind. Helped quite a but. But made it so we have to have a variety of chair options. Lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I had Arthritis in the neck, I would prefer the light. The heavier pistols will be easier to keep on target. But they will also put strain on the arms and neck area if prolonged shooting is desired.

The light will be much more comfortable to shoot with your problems. Just have to concentrate on trigger control and breathing a little more.
I understand your pain. I too suffer from arthritis and had a cervical fusion of the c5,6,7 in my neck. One answer to shooting rifles was to build our table taller so our neck wasn't in a bind. Helped quite a but. But made it so we have to have a variety of chair options. Lol
The arthritis does not seem to affect shooting handguns. I just recently purchased a GP100 in .357 Magnum and I enjoy shooting it. The extra weight of the target model appeals more to me, but the Lite model looks cool, but I’d probably never put a suppressor on it and I prefer iron sights to red dots or scopes, so the top rail would never be used.

As for shooting rifles. It doesn’t matter what position I shoot from. The recoil has become too much for me and I’m not a bench shooter. Only when sighting in a new rifle do I shoot from a bench.

I appreciate both of your comments. Normally when I mention the arthritis problems I get remarks from internet ninja kids that I’m a wimp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 5 inch bull barrel with thin line target grips. i've had it for almost twenty years now and couldn't be happier with it. you'll love it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just got a new MK IV 22/45 Tactical which is threaded for a muzzle attachment. I have not shot it yet but it appears to be very well made. After reading about the "lite" model I decided on the heavier pistols.
Best,
Rob

·
One Star
9,631 Posts
I have four Ruger Mark IV's,i really like the Hunter and Competition they both have nice weight to them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ruger MK IV

Recently bought a slightly used MK IV at the Gun Shop. It has the feel of quality. It is very accurate and joins my two other MK II's and a MK II 22/45.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the Mark IV Target model in stainless steel and am very satisfied. It was recalled for the new safety upgrade. Very accurate pistol.
I thought I could shoot better with the Hunter style sights, so I ordered the v-notch rear sight and fiber optic front sight but my shooting was actually worse. Went back to the stock sight and painted the front sight orange. Probably as good as it will get with my old eyes.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts