Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've really been enjoying shooting my 10/22 and 22/45, but I've recently become interested in lever actions and revolvers. Specifically a Henry or Browning Lever Action in .22 and a Ruger New Single Six in .22LR/22WMR Convertible.

The only thing holding me back on the SS Convertible is the single-action trigger. I've never owned a single-action and I do like the idea of taking things slowly and placing my shots very deliberately but also welcome the idea of a double-action revolver. I know that I want something in a convertible so that I can use the 22WMR for small game hunting so I'm wondering if there are any alternatives that will shoot all of the .22LR variants as well as the 22WMR.

Should I just be on the lookout for a good buy on the Ruger or can you revolver guys recommend something else?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Kind regards,
Matthew

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Single-Six convertible is one I've got my eye on...have heard nothing but good things about it...and it's a handsome piece to boot! :)

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Single-Six convertible is one I've got my eye on...have heard nothing but good things about it...and it's a handsome piece to boot! :)
Yep. I love the look of the Stainless/Wood version in 5.5" especially. I looked at the Taurus Tracker Convertible, but it's just got a gigantic barrel on it and I feel like it's a little overkill for a 22 (even a 22WMR). I just don't love the looks of it and I pretty much hate that giant "TRACKER" logo on the side of it.

Looks like in Convertibles the Single Six is the only way to go... Unless these guys have some other thoughts. :)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The only Double Action convertible I know of is the Taurus 922 Tracker. Its typical Taurus, I have read great things about it, and bad thing also. I have 2Single Six convertibles, a Single Ten, and the new SP101-22. All my Rugers are great, I recommend them all. Its up to you to decide, but I think the Single Six convertible is a great concept, giving a new buyer great value. No doubt that Double Action is great when plinking with a revolver, but the Single Action is also lots of fun.

Taurus Model 992 Tracker Revolver with Interchangeable 22 Long Rifle & 22 Magnum Cylinders

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only Double Action convertible I know of is the Taurus 922 Tracker. Its typical Taurus, I have read great things about it, and bad thing also. I have 2Single Six convertibles, a Single Ten, and the new SP101-22. All my Rugers are great, I recommend them all. Its up to you to decide, but I think the Single Six convertible is a great concept, giving a new buyer great value. No doubt that Double Action is great when plinking with a revolver, but the Single Action is also lots of fun.

Taurus Model 992 Tracker Revolver with Interchangeable 22 Long Rifle & 22 Magnum Cylinders
Thank you for your feedback. I know it sounds superficial, but I'm not a fan of the Tracker's looks at all. It's not all about looks, but I think I'd never be quite happy with the Taurus. I love the looks of the Single Six. There's a gun show coming to town next month and I'm going to look to see if I can find one there. If not, then I'll see about ordering one from the local shop that I frequent.

I was going to order one this week, but heard about the gun show. Kinda hoping there might be some good deals (right...).

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Single-Six Convertable is hands down one of the best 22rimfire revolvers on the market. It's single action trigger is not a handicap at all, tie that in with the adjustable rear sight and you've got a winning combination. I'll jump at the chance to snag a used Ruger SA at the right price because some folks trade them off pretty darn quick. I figure it's their loss and my gain. Or since this is a Ruger thread "our gain". ;o)=

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Can't go wrong with the SA Single-Six. Goes right along with the Henry ;) . I know I enjoy the combo :) .

·
Registered
673 Posts
IMO, the Single Six Convertible is one heck of a firearm. There is nothing like a good SA revolver trigger. The other thing that is overlooked, the Single Six Convertible is the type of firearm that turns into an heirloom.

I inherited my mother's Ruger Super Single Six, circa 1971 purchased in 1972.

This pistol is 41 years old. It's a timeless design.

Also, don't discount the Taurus revolver. They're pretty darn good revolvers at a great price. If you can't stomach a Taurus revolver and want a double action .22lr revolver, check out the S&W Model 617.

Just beware that the DA trigger pull on a .22lr revolver is quite stout, and necessarily so. The hammer spring must be stout enough to deliver the impact to the rim of the case necessary to ignite the primer. Even though I have no issues with a center-fire revolver DA trigger pull, I prefer shooting .22lr revolvers in SA mode over DA mode.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Can't go wrong with the SA Single-Six. Goes right along with the Henry ;) . I know I enjoy the combo :) .
That's cool! I'm waiting (the 10 days) to pickup my new Single Ten that goes along with my recently purchased Henry 22 for plinking. At 64, I'm old school enough to want a lever action and a single action.:)

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's cool! I'm waiting (the 10 days) to pickup my new Single Ten that goes along with my recently purchased Henry 22 for plinking. At 64, I'm old school enough to want a lever action and a single action.:)
I guess at 28 I am, too. :)

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys so much! This is exactly the feedback I needed to hear. I think I'm pretty much sold on the SS Convertible at this point. Now to wait on that gun show... :)

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a Super Single in 22/22. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd like to find a super single six to match up with my '49 Marlin 39A 22 lever action. If you can find a nice older 39A don't pass it by its also a sweet little lever action . Good luck with your hunt.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
It's almost a law that you have at least one single action if you have a lever gun. :) I'll second that recommendation on the Marlin 39A. A Single Six is the perfect pistol to go along with an old 39A. Love mine.

The convertible is the way to go for maximum versatility, though you'll find that the 22 LR, not the 22 mag, is the best choice for hunting small edible game such as rabbits and squirrels. Save the mag for larger bodied small game such as groundhogs, *****, fox and such. The 22 mag has a tendency to blow right trough squirrels without dropping them, giving them a chance to escape into a nest or hole. A 22LR or even a 22 short HP does a much better job of anchoring squirrels on the spot and dropping squirrels out of trees. Over the years, I've had more accurate pistols than a Single Six, but for some darn reason, just every time I headed to the woods to hunt squirrels and rabbits, I grabbed the Single Six.

Now the only question is whether you want blued or stainless. I like the stainless for its steel grip frame rather than the aluminum grip frame on the blued models. Gives the stainless a bit more heft in the grip which I like. Don't count out the amazing Single Ten, either.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but what makes a Single Six a "Super Single Six"???

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The adjustable sights, though the label of "Super" was actually used in reference to the old model Single Six with adjustable sights, not the new model. Plenty of folks still use the term Super for any Single Six with adjustable sights, though that is not technically correct.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd like to find a super single six to match up with my '49 Marlin 39A 22 lever action. If you can find a nice older 39A don't pass it by its also a sweet little lever action . Good luck with your hunt.
I've been looking for one, but they're pretty pricey. I saw one at a gun show earlier in the year and the guy was asking $750 for it and wouldn't budge on price. He said, "They're limited edition." I said, "No, they're discontinued. Big difference." He was firm. I see 'em on Gunbroker from time to time for $500-600. I know Browning makes a decent lever action as well.

So many choices. So little money...

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They are real purty in stainless

Or with a short barrel

And as a ten shooter
Man those things look good. I do like the blued with the shorter barrel. Hm... Maybe a Lever action in Blued and Wood with a matching Single Six in Blued and get some pretty wood grips for it...

DARNIT! YOU GUYS QUIT!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts