Ruger Forum banner

181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice! Glad someone actually had one and you were able to make a deal. I think you’ll be pleased with the Polaris. It’s a physically bigger machine, rides better and also has more horsepower. It’s also actually 500cc as apposed to the 421cc Yamaha.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Yes, it is physically larger than the Yamaha. I think 3" longer, about 2" wider ... not sure about height. I think it's got a slightly higher clearance, an inch or two. Was aware of it being a 500cc vs the 421 of the Yamaha. Funny the way they add these model numbers that don't really match the displacement. 33 hp, though I can't find that rating for the Yamaha, but I trust 500cc is going to produce more horses than at 421.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Well, this is a pretty cool story about Polaris.

"June 4, 2020 – Following a competitive bid process, Government Services Administration (GSA), in support of U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), awarded Polaris Government and Defense a follow-on contract for the Polaris MRZR Alpha, a new light tactical vehicle."

All I need is a .50 cal and I'll have a smaller version. 🤓

·
"The Real Deal"
6,513 Posts
I love the kodiak, BUT I don’t get bogged down in brand loyalty. In fact my two dirt bikes are KTM’s not Yamaha. That said, as long as you are buying one of the major reputable brands it shouldn’t matter which name is on the side. That said, I have no experience with that particular brand, but if I were in the market I would look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didnt know you were a dirtbike guy, small world.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,513 Posts
Op polaris is a good machine, own a 02 500 scrambler 2x4, nice machine rides better than any other ive ridden. Remember to get an extra drive belt, just in case. I recommend the goodyear powerstreak, its made for snow mobiles.

As far as tires most around here run Highlifter Outlaws, Maxxis Mudzilla, or Silverbacks but they are for deep mud. I run a set of gbc gators on my polaris still aggressive but ride is smoother. The maxxis bighorn is a hood tire my equivalent of a bfg all terrain truck tire, rides good. Just remember closer the treads are togather smoother the ride, however less effective in muddy terrain, but good on sand and dirt.

Reactions: Katahdin-1022

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
I pretend to be a lot of things. PM sent so I don’t hijack. I am enjoying this thread.
I am not only enjoying this thread, but learning much from it.

From one view, dirt bikes are just 2-wheeled ATV's. Or ATV's are 4-wheeled dirt bikes. I've not owned an ATV before, but rode a Kawasaki 550 (?) motorcycle for a while in my 30's. Until I was broadsided in a car accident, knocked unconcious for 4 hour. Set me back months. Became too paranoid on the bike, so sold it. Now I'm back on a bike, but with 4 wheels.

I've described my ATV as a 4-wheel motorcycle to friends and supporters. So in my view, as long as we don't get off onto fishing gear or brownie recipes, convos about dirt bikes here are not hijacking, and close enough. I like diversity in conversations. ;)

Now, pardon me while I eat a slice of buttered poundcake after my second Philly steak cheese sub for dinner.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
After poundcake, jonsing for a good video about my new wheels, trying to learn as much about them as I can.

Found two. This is the second, and exceptional. Learning new things about the Polaris that I didn't know previously. (Of course, I've only been looking at this one seriously for a few days, so ...)

Just this for now. Wow.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #190 (Edited)
Any closer to getting your machine?
YES! Thanks for asking.

It's scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. 🐸 It's coming from a smaller town south of here .. one of those that you have to drive around your elbow to get to your ear .. and they try to line things up so they can deliver several to different towns at once. So I had to wait for the "free delivery" part.

But I've spent the waiting time well, I think. The company that manages these apartments prohibits ATV's and snowmobiles from the property. I can't even drive/ride it onto the property. :mad:

But I've known that for years, so even before I purchased it, I began planning a storage option. When I move downeast (August 1 !!!), it should be a bit easier because I'll live on an ATV "connector road" that's ATV legal, and many residents there own them, six within a stone's throw of my apartment, managed by the same company, so same issue. But I've already got word out (via president of the local ATV club that lives on that road) that I'm looking to rent a storage spot on someone's land.

For here, there are no such spots -- all my neighbors are on a highway that prohibits ATV's -- so I had to get creative. One of the main ATV/snowmobile trails in the entire state (there are at least 5000 miles of them here) runs about 150 yd east of me where it crosses the highway; it runs from NH in the west to New Brunswick, Canada to the east. I'll live half a mile from it downeast; same trail. There's a 70 yd spur trail running from it up to this property -- it was once the main trail, but when this company bought the property, it was rerouted.

So I built this just off of it. It's just a 9' x 9' camo tarp stretched over a large, low-hanging limb on a large pine with a camo net strung across the front. I now have a 12' Master Lock cable lock around the tree.** It's tucked back into the woods a bit, and very hard to see from the trail, especially since the spur trail comes off right at a sharp 90 degree turn with some really challenging "obstacles" that riders have to navigate: rocks, roots and ruts (you should see it in mud season). I've been sitting out there daily for a week while I designed and erected it, and watch riders as they come by. No one looks up my way; they're all focused on not breaking their bodies on those obstacles. I watch riders on 2-ups hanging on for dear life when their driver goes into those ruts too fast. It's like they're trying to hang on to an angry bull.

** Been meaning to ask. Any opinion on the best part of an ATV to use for an anchor point for a cable or chain for security? I know, if a thief has the right tools, they can get it. But in this case, they'll have to find it first.

This is from the trail. Can you spot it in this image? Should be easy in this one, because my walking stick gives away its location.

Here's that spot in mud season, mid-May. This was before the trail opened to the public, but the maintenance team was doing much needed seasonal repairs to the trail, so there was some traffic on it then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice! That should work, but I would be worried leaving it out there. Hopefully no one will find it before you get moved. I would get a couple chains, one around the front A arms and one around the rear

·
"The Real Deal"
6,513 Posts
Nice! That should work, but I would be worried leaving it out there. Hopefully no one will find it before you get moved. I would get a couple chains, one around the front A arms and one around the rear
i agree, if you run chain through the rear brake disc it makes it alot more difficult to move without picking it up. If the 4 wheel drive is engaged none of the wheels will rotate that way.

Reactions: Katahdin-1022

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Not sure if that model has a secondary starting method, but if it’s push start only, maybe pull the battery and bring it in with you. Keep it in your apartment on a battery tender so it’s always ready and it will make it so someone can’t just drive it away if they cut the chains.

Also, maybe put up a couple game cams in the area. Check them daily or as often as possible. First, worst case scenario you get pictures of the perps. Second, you are keeping an eye on it in case it gets discovered. Picture this, day one someone finds it. Checks it out to see what is needed to lift it. You then might have a day or two to figure something out after it’s been cased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Good advice here. Thanks. Taking notes

·
Registered
33 Posts
It cannot be started without the battery. Unless it’s been relocated for 2020, the battery sets on the belly pan and is held in place by a rubber strap.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
The dealer tells me that this one cannot be started
w/o the key that was made for it.

He said, if the key is w/ me, it won't be started.
The MasterLock 12' cable lock is there.
I carry that key on my key carabiner, also.

I'll add the ignition key on Wednesday. :cool:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Goldstar, yes. Comprehensive policy with State Farm is already in effect -- even before I got it. (I've been with State Farm for decades, since I began driving.

In other news ....

It's here!!!!!!!

It arrived at 11 am via trailer. Have already taken the first test drive -- further on the "rail trail" than I've ever been. Amazing. I'm seriously impressed with this Polaris; totally in love with it.

Going to the town hall next to register it. Story with pics to come ....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #199 (Edited)
Been away for a few days. That's because it's day 4 of Polaris ownership and riding for me. I've ridden it every day since Wednesday. 10 mi today, 40 total.

Day 1: easy, just getting the feel of it.
Day 2: a longer ride over to a shopping center, then a lake.
Day 3: if we rate ATV trails like kayak adventures, then I rode a class 5.
Day 4 -- today: mellow 10 miles on the north side of town.

I've decided it's time to move on to another thread. Maine ATV Adventures.
I'll post a link here when it starts.

For now, this is one of the best spots on Day 4. Prime moose habitat in a marsh on the north side of town, 1/2 mile from a mega gas station that accommodates cars, trucks, 18-wheelers, ATVs and snowmobiles. The last three share a set of dedicated fuel pumps.

That's my 35L Eberlestock pack strapped to the front rack.
My EC9s rode well in my front pocket.

Pogo at Redwing Marsh.JPG

181 - 200 of 211 Posts