Ruger Forum banner

141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
[U]Katahdin-1022[/U],

Can't say I really care for them, I prefer a trailer. If you do decide on one, I wouldn't buy one sight unseen and I wouldn't go the "cheap light weight" route. You want something you can mount and jump up and down on with ALL your weight and not break it or have it sag under your weight. And, if it hitch mounts, it should also attach (bolt to) your machines frame for more strength and stability when loaded. There is a lot of cheap junk out there, be carful.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Ramps? Like those needed to get
the ATV into the bed of a pick up?

I've got a set picked out.
They claim they'll take 1500 lbs.

But just in case it goes "unavailable",
I'm also interested in the others.

In return? In Maine?
Rt 9. Into E Maine
near E Canada.

You can't imagine it .

Or maybe you can

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Friday, May 22, 10:22 pm (at least when I began to write this).

Serious spring has hit here. We've been at least in the 60's F for over a week, most days hit 70. Today was the first 80 of the year along with strong wind that kept the black flies grounded. (They don't fly with winds over 8 mph.) Great walking.

And with all this warmth, mud season is coming to an end. 👏 The mud pits on the ATV trail (a major one in this state that goes to Canada) are drying up. I walked on the trail today all the way back to my apartment, whereas last week, I had to walk through the woods for part of it to keep from stepping in deep goop. :oops:

So, I've made an executive decision. I'm going to ramp up efforts this weekend to raise the remaining funds to order my ATV. I need some training, and doing it out here on this trail that I've been walking on in 4 seasons for 3 years is the perfect place before I migrate downeast onto trails that I'm just starting to explore.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Next day, Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. I just spoke with the dealer I'm going to buy from -- best price by far (in part, I think because he's so far up north in the boonies). He says the Kodiak 450 EPS is increasingly hard to come by. When I first spoke with him a month ago, there were two units at other dealers close enough to ship in. Now, they're gone, and they're even hard to get directly from the company now because their factory in Georgia closed due to Covid. They're back open again now, but I'm betting I have a long wait ahead, even after I order it. :cautious:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Sunday, May 24. Happy Memorial Day weekend to all. Stay safe out there.

Last evening, I spoke with the first of my supporters -- who have been supporting my project that this ATV will be part of -- for years. I explained that I need to raise a bit more cash to order it, and wish to soon because the trails are open now (and two really, really bad sections near me have been repaired), and I'm eager to start training for roots, rocks and ruts, and explore some of the trails (especially the one going up toward Moosehead Lake; I'm told it's beautiful). He's into it. Now, just a few more and I can make this happen. 🕺

Also, since they're so hard to come by, there's a backlog, and the factory just reopened (but the future remains uncertain), I've decided to not be choosy about the color. Originally, I wanted tan with camo trim; the other option is red, and I'm not really a red vehicle kind of guy. However, after staring at an image of a red one for a few days -- I made it my desktop image -- it's growing on me. If it was bright red, I'd pass. But this one is a darker red with a pleasing shade and hue, so I'm good with it.

That red model also has aluminum wheels, which look nice and are no doubt lighter.

So question: are aluminum wheels as durable as steel ones (like on the tan/camo model)? I had a set on a truck (F250 4X) about a decade ago, but had been told that hitting a rock would break one more easily than a steel wheel.

Any truth to that? Recommendations?

Heading out into the woods out back for the remainder of the afternoon. We're in the low 70's F with blue sky and a gentle breeze. Going out to one of my experimental camps and hang my hammock and tarp.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Update in early June. I found a set of used ramps for $45 near me. 6', 9" wide. I checked them out -- even put them onto a truck -- and they seemed like they'd work OK to get the ATV into a truck ... if I was an experienced rider. Angle was less than 45 degrees. I'm guessing about 39.

Then, I watched some "fail" videos on utube of a guy on a short ramp rolling over backwards with the unit on top of him. o_O

That convinced me to pass on the 6', and get a set of 7.5', arched, folding.

More expensive -- $130ish -- but less than a hospital bill.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I'd also add a couple of braces (jack stands if they'd be long enough stretched out) to go under the hinged part of the ramp for added safety. They'd also come in handy if you needed to remove tires. 4X4s cut to length will also work. I've NEVER trusted ANY ramp weight rated capacity for loading any ATVs, mowers, snowmobiles... ALWAYS have used center braces.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT !!! Make sure you have the ramps TIED TO THE FRAME or BUMPER (if it's strong enough) so the ramps WON"T SLIDE OUT FROM UNDER THE TIRES when loading or unloading. The straps need to be attached VERY TIGHT to what ever you are loading onto.

Last, make sure what you are hauling is secured to the transport vehicle in case of hard breaking, tighter than expected corners and when accelerating. NEVER trust the tailgate to hold the load in.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'd also add a couple of braces (jack stands if they'd be long enough stretched out) to go under the hinged part of the ramp for added safety. They'd also come in handy if you needed to remove tires. 4X4s cut to length will also work. I've NEVER trusted ANY ramp weight rated capacity for loading any ATVs, mowers, snowmobiles... ALWAYS have used center braces.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT !!! Make sure you have the ramps TIED TO THE FRAME or BUMPER (if it's strong enough) so the ramps WON"T SLIDE OUT FROM UNDER THE TIRES when loading or unloading. The straps need to be attached VERY TIGHT to what ever you are loading onto.

Last, make sure what you are hauling is secured to the transport vehicle in case of hard breaking, tighter than expected corners and when accelerating. NEVER trust the tailgate to hold the load in.
+1 on making sure you secure the quad. I have a friend in high school that had to have a very uncomfortable conversation with his dad as to how the back window of his truck got broken out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
+1 on making sure you secure the quad. I have a friend in high school that had to have a very uncomfortable conversation with his dad as to how the back window of his truck got broken out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They don't bounce very well out the back of a pick-up going down the road either.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,755 Posts
They don't bounce very well out the back of a pick-up going down the road either.
Years ago I was driving southbound on the I-75 bridge over Charlotte Harbor (FL) when a smaller youth-size ATV bounced out of the back of a pickup truck in the lane next to me and little ahead. Fortunately it bounced over onto the narrow shoulder area and other vehicles were able to react and swerve in time but it made for a very exciting few seconds there at 70 MPH. I'm sure it messed up the ATV pretty good but it could have been much, much worse.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Great advice re securing ramps, gate braces and security ATV in truck. I'm on the same page. I've watched a bunch of videos now that echoed the same sentiment. Glad you posted that here for this thread -- best to be complete.

The ramps I'm probably going to get come with safety straps. I'll be moving it first in a UHaul box truck instead of a pickup, so tailgate is not an issue. However, since I don't own a truck, I will no doubt need to hire a pickup in the future to haul me to some nice places I can't get to downeast on the ATV itself. I'll get some gate braces to keep on hand for that occasion. I don't know if the Uhaul will have D-rings or other tie downs. Need to call the Uhaul dealer and check into that.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I'd make sure it is secured in the U-Haul too. Stay safe.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts