Ruger Forum banner

161 - 180 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I carry a small auxiliary port electric air pump and tire plugs/tools. I’m sure the stock tires are the cheapest 4 ply available. Might look into a set of tougher more trail worthy tires like maxxis big horn 2.0 or kenda bearclaw htr’s. These are a 8 and 6ply tires that give good traction and lighter weight than most other atv tires.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Yamaha forum? Wow. I never even considered its existence. Thanks! Will do.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
98W, do you like Brill's portable air pumps? I think I owned one a couple of decades ago. Good price. But if not, what do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Porta
98W, do you like Brill's portable air pumps? I think I owned one a couple of decades ago. Good price. But if not, what do you recommend?
ble air pumps - Jeep Wrangler MV50 Air Compressor

there are a number of options available. Most portable compressors sold in stores have pressure ratings that sound good but they do not provide volume of air at pressure.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
98whitelightnin, trying to register at Yamaha Forum. What a hassle. :( I'll spare you the details. Sent a notice to the webmaster to ask for help.

Kf6zpl, your post motivated spending a couple of hours searching for more serious, yet still small pumps that run off of 12V receptacle. Looking at a couple of "best of" reviews. Slime inflators look promising.

I suspect the way I'll go is two or three separate kit parts. 1) portable pump; 2) all metal-tool plug kit; 3) a canister of inject-able Slime. I've used Slime in my bicycle tires in the past. Worked well on those smaller tires.

Must go work for a while now, but will get back to this later. Not at the top of my priority list, but on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don’t have enough experience with 12v pumps to recommend one. I have an elcheapo. I got my plug kit from Walmart for under $5 with tools. I keep a pair of pliers and other hand tools in my wheeler. I don’t have any experience with Yamaha forum but I’m sure it’s like most others. Good luck

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Via-air makes a quality small pump. The plug kits are available from a number of sources. NAPA carries a good one. Some of the low costs kits don’t have a vey good inverter tool for the plug, meaning they are lightweight and prone to bending.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Thanks. I'll check Via-air. And NAPA. I hadn't even thought of a NAPA. My little rural town doesn't have much in it, but it does have a NAPA. Would rather buy one from them than most others.

I just called them. He said NAPA is no longer making that one, but they do sell one from a different company that "might work for an ATV". Not very powerful, he said. I'll check it out anyway since I go by there often.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Well, damn. There's a new wrinkle in the saga. Once I got funds together last Monday, I called the dealer to tell him I'm ready to buy. He said they're scarce, let me check availability. Saturday morning, hadn't heard from him -- he told me Monday he was smoked busy -- so I called. There are no 2020 Kokiak 450 EPS available. Period. All that were available before the pandemic have been sold, and the factory is gearing up for 2021 production, so they're not available there, either.

I asked how long it's likely to be before '21's come out. At least a couple of months, he said. At least. :cry: OMG, that's torturous!

But there's a potential silver lining. He's had access to a Kodiak 450 EPS SE -- the deluxe model -- in silver (an OK color; cheaper of the SE's, w/o Warren winch). When I first called them (father and son business) six weeks ago, the son asked if I was interested. It's MSRP is $300 more, and not really (at least easily) in my budget (yes, I built a budget for fundraising). So I declined.

Today he said, let me see if the dealer that has it (????) is still interested in letting it go, and I'll see if I can negotiate a deal to get the price down close to the 450 EPS. "Would you take that?"

"Probably," I said. "I've got a little margin [which was actually earmarked for gear], but if you can get it close, I'll certainly talk."

He said he'd get back to me next week. Fingers crossed.

I've been reading the pages -- features, specs, etc -- and can't even figure out what's different about the SE. Something about the 2WD/4WD shift button I think, but there must be more than that. I'm so inexperienced with these tools that it's not making sense.

Kokiak 450 EPS SE angle.jpg

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Monday, June 15. Yet another wrinkle in this saga, but this one's more like a rogue wave.

Because of the lack of availability of Yamaha's -- the dealer still hasn't called me back re the Kodiak 450 SE that he's going to try to work a deal on -- AND because I've had a couple of phone convo's with the president of the local ATV/snowmobile club (that maintain the trail running by my apartment), who is also an ATV mechanic, I'm now considering a Polaris Sportsman 450 EPS. He claims that from a mechanics standpoint, the Polaris beats the Yamaha hands down -- easier to work on, he says.

Playing around on the Polaris site with a neat 360 3D configuration tool, it looks like I can get everything I wanted on the Yamaha for a sightly better price.

Any comments? Encouragement? Caveats?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I love the kodiak, BUT I don’t get bogged down in brand loyalty. In fact my two dirt bikes are KTM’s not Yamaha. That said, as long as you are buying one of the major reputable brands it shouldn’t matter which name is on the side. That said, I have no experience with that particular brand, but if I were in the market I would look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a couple of Polaris sportsman’s. A 2019 570 and 2020 850. They are both excellent machines so far. I had a kodiak 450 about 15 years ago and was never really happy with it. I have been very satisfied with both of my sportsman’s. Check out atv trader for some good prices. All of the dealers around here are out of most of their stock too.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
I'm on it. Tried to call them today, but most here are closed on Mondays. I'll call first thing tomorrow.

A couple of more cool things about Polaris that Yamaha doesn't offer. Their web site allows not only configuration (priced out) with racks, mirrors, tires, etc, and a dynamic 3D 360 (rotatable in 3 space) app to see what your config looks like, but also a real person gives you a call after you submit your config to a local dealer. The app also captures screen shots to your drive using background colors of your choosing.

Here's what mine looks like with racks and mirrors. Looks like something Sigourney Weaver would appreciate.

Polaris 450 front on w-mirrors.png

·
Registered
33 Posts
The AWD system in the Polaris is much better than the old style of the Yamaha. The Yamaha should have a 2wd, 4wd and 4wd lock. The 4wd lock will go where you point it as long as it’s straight. The 4wd is a limited slip front end and works fine if your on flat ground. The Polaris AWD only engages the front wheels when it feels the rears slip and puts the power to all the wheels. You can still turn with ease and actually leave it in AWD all the time if you want And it won’t cause extra fatigue.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
The AWD system in the Polaris is much better than the old style of the Yamaha. The Yamaha should have a 2wd, 4wd and 4wd lock. The 4wd lock will go where you point it as long as it’s straight. The 4wd is a limited slip front end and works fine if your on flat ground. The Polaris AWD only engages the front wheels when it feels the rears slip and puts the power to all the wheels. You can still turn with ease and actually leave it in AWD all the time if you want And it won’t cause extra fatigue.
That's fascinating reading. I don't parse all the tech details, but I'll get back with questions.

But on some level, I get it. I first drove my dad's jeep in 1959. He put it in double low for me so I didn't break my neck popping the clutch. So, I get it.

But it's just after 11 pm here, after dinner 2 (cena dos), I'm tired after getting groceries today via bicycle (pedaled 3 miles, half of that with 30 lbs of food, including shaved beef, provolone and mozzarella for a Phillie cheese steak sandwich w/ brie, pickle and arugla), so I'll just offer this music that I'm listening to for now.

I'll be back tmw after sleep with questions and ideas.
Polaris 450 racks.png

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
GOT IT!!!

Well, I ordered it. Check's in the mail.

I got really lucky. The sales person said they just got that unit in late last week and just got it assembled yesterday. Right time, right place. (And thanks much to 98whitelightnin for the heads up. I had found that site via the Polaris site by then, but thanks for watching my back.)

And 1) it was "on sale" (Polaris is offering a discount right now -- can't imagine why since they're already selling like hotcakes -- so it was $350 less than the Yamaha would have been, and 2) free delivery. No one else around here is doing that.

He's working on the delivery schedule today, but I expect I should have it later in the week. Pics to come ...

🤓 🕺

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
GOT IT!!!

Well, I ordered it. Check's in the mail.

I got really lucky. The sales person said they just got that unit in late last week and just got it assembled yesterday. Right time, right place. (And thanks much to 98whitelightnin for the heads up. I had found that site via the Polaris site by then, but thanks for watching my back.)

And 1) it was "on sale" (Polaris is offering a discount right now -- can't imagine why since they're already selling like hotcakes -- so it was $350 less than the Yamaha would have been, and 2) free delivery. No one else around here is doing that.

He's working on the delivery schedule today, but I expect I should have it later in the week. Pics to come ...

Congratulations! Can’t wait to see the pics and get a review of your new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

161 - 180 of 211 Posts