Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is a petite 22 year old that likes to shoot. She is really struggling with racking my SR9c and Colt .45 at the range. Other then that she loves the SR9c. I was thinking of buying her an Ruger LCP for Christmas as her CC. Neither of us has shot one yet, but I'm guessing it has the "Ruger feel" that we both like.

So now to my question, would you buy a LCP for your wife or daughter? If not, what .380 pocket gun would you buy?

· Registered
1,043 Posts
My daughter is a petite 22 year old that likes to shoot. She is really struggling with racking my SR9c and Colt .45 at the range. Other then that she loves the SR9c. I was thinking of buying her an Ruger LCP for Christmas as her CC. Neither of us has shot one yet, but I'm guessing it has the "Ruger feel" that we both like.

So now to my question, would you buy a LCP for your wife or daughter? If not, what .380 pocket gun would you buy?
If shes having a hard time racking the larger semi-autos you have, she is absolutely going to hate the LCP. The smaller the semi-auto, the more difficult they are to rack in general, and the LCP is probably one of the hardest. I wouldn't feel confident myself in being able to reload one if I had to under severe stress with sweaty hands, etc. The manual slide lock is also difficult to use consistently. I actually cut my palm open at the hot, humid range one day racking one, got pinched between the slide and chamber. Fortunately, I had just fired my last shots of the day, so nobody noticed my embarrassing moment as I walked to the nearby bathroom with a pool of blood cupped in my hand.

Needless to say, carrying the LCP with one in the chamber is the only way to go, so if she is uncomfortable with that concept it is all the more reason to look at something else. One small semi-auto that is supposed to be very easy to rack is the Sig P238. It is also a nicer looking, better quality gun with much better sights but will set you back in price accordingly.

Has she ever considered a small snub nose like the Ruger LCR .38spl or S&W 642 Airweight?

· Registered
200 Posts
I have an LCP and a Sig P238. Without a doubt, the Sig is easier to rack the slide but, more important for a young female, the Sig is a much softer shooting pistol. I've had a lot of .380s and the Sig seems to recoil much less than the LCP.

· Registered
2,593 Posts
Have her go with the LCR instead. I love mine and since it's revolver it's abreeze to shoot. Very nice trigger pull too. If you want to get her excited about shooting a semi-auto try the SR-22 first. My GF loves it.

The LCP isn't a very fun range gun and unless she plans to get her ccw permit I don't see the point.

· Banned
4,290 Posts
- - - Snip - - -
The LCP isn't a very fun range gun and unless she plans to get her ccw permit I don't see the point.
Yes. I agree it's not a really fun gun to shoot. Certainly wouldn't be my choice for a range gun. But then neither are stubby, light weight revolvers. :)

However, it's so thin, small and light, it's a great little carry gun for pocket of purse. I don't recommend purse carry but that's for another discussion. :)

If she firmly grasps the slide, between the side of her weak side hand's clenched forefinger and thumb, and, holding the pistol in a "shooting grip," with her strong side hand (finger off the trigger of course), simply "pushes" the pistol forward to rack the slide she'll have no problems.

I've got an even smaller, very high quality, .380 (a Seecamp) and a very high quality 9mm, almost exactly the same dimensions as the LCP (a Rohrbaugh Stealth), but 90% of the time it's the LCP that I slip into my pocket when I'm leaving the house. It's so light and low profile one often forgets it's there.

Oh, BTW, I've replaced the OEM recoil spring with a Wolff 13# spring. That does make racking the slide more of a challenge but still no problem using the above method. ( I had originally tried a 15# spring. That one worked outstandingly, in terms of reducing felt recoil, but was just a tad too challenging to rack the slide comfortably, especially under stress and duress.)

And, one last comment: My Miss Elsie Pea, over the course of 4 years and over 300 rounds of many variations of ammo, has been 100%. Never a hiccup.

(Yeah, I know, 300 rounds in over 4 years; You can accurately infer that it's not my choice of a "range gun". And, I go to the range every week.) :D

· Registered
258 Posts
Agree, the LCP is not a fun range gun. One fires it to maintain ones skill level at close range for self defense. It does not take many rounds until your fun meter has pegged. You need to get her to try one out before you commit.

Much depends on her skill level and familiarity with handguns. Since smaller guns are harder to control and noisier, most of us start out with full sized guns in self defense calibers (or full sized 22 LRs) and move to the smaller ones after confidence and skill is developed with the bigger guns.

I have an LCP and would recommend it to the right person.

Sorry, no definitive answers but just things to consider.

· Registered
332 Posts
My daughter is a petite 22 year old that likes to shoot. She is really struggling with racking my SR9c and Colt .45 at the range.
I can only parrot what others have advised you. The LCP is a great little CC pistol ... BUT IT IS NOT A FUN GUN TO SHOOT AND THE SLIDE IS NOT THE EASIEST TO RACK. Before you spend your money make arrangements for her to handle the LCP ... or any gun you're thinking of purchasing for her. If racking the slide on the LCP causes her trouble [don't be surprised if it does] have her check out a Walther PK380. The slide is the easiest to rack of any pistol I've ever handled. However, the PK380 is a larger pistol and thus would not conceal as readily as the LCP, but it is a fun gun to shoot.

· Registered
200 Posts
Take her to a gun store and let her feel and handle and shoot if possible the guns SHE is interested in. My wife is an instructor and tells me stories all the time of well meaning men who buy the women in their lives a gun only to have them absolutely hate it. Best thing you can do is drive em to the store and then sit back and let them try out and pick out the gun they feel most comfortable with.

· Registered
2,593 Posts
Yes. I agree it's not a really fun gun to shoot. Certainly wouldn't be my choice for a range gun. But then neither are stubby, light weight revolvers. :)

However, it's so thin, small and light, it's a great little carry gun for pocket of purse. I don't recommend purse carry but that's for another discussion. :)

If she firmly grasps the slide, between the side of her weak side hand's clenched forefinger and thumb, and, holding the pistol in a "shooting grip," with her strong side hand (finger off the trigger of course), simply "pushes" the pistol forward to rack the slide she'll have no problems.

I've got an even smaller, very high quality, .380 (a Seecamp) and a very high quality 9mm, almost exactly the same dimensions as the LCP (a Rohrbaugh Stealth), but 90% of the time it's the LCP that I slip into my pocket when I'm leaving the house. It's so light and low profile one often forgets it's there.

Oh, BTW, I've replaced the OEM recoil spring with a Wolff 13# spring. That does make racking the slide more of a challenge but still no problem using the above method. ( I had originally tried a 15# spring. That one worked outstandingly, in terms of reducing felt recoil, but was just a tad too challenging to rack the slide comfortably, especially under stress and duress.)

And, one last comment: My Miss Elsie Pea, over the course of 4 years and over 300 rounds of many variations of ammo, has been 100%. Never a hiccup.

(Yeah, I know, 300 rounds in over 4 years; You can accurately infer that it's not my choice of a "range gun". And, I go to the range every week.) :D
I would agree with you to a point but IMO the LCR trigger pull is far superior to the LCP making it much easier for a new shooter and you don't have any slide to rack to worry about with a revolver.

I love my LCR at the range and have over 500 rounds or more of .38 and .357 through it in the past two months. I have shot the LCP but for me it's not a fun gun to shoot.

· Registered
250 Posts
As much as I like my LCP I cannot recommend it as a CCW or HCP to someone who hasn’t handled and shot one already. The Lc9, LCP and LCR all have a bit of sting to them when fired and aren’t for everyone. As to your daughters difficulty in racking the slide on the SR9/SR9c I’ve got to tell you that might not be because she lacks the strength to do so. The SR9/SR9c has very slim, rounded slides that don’t offer a lot to hang onto. On the other hand the Glock 17/19 etc have thicker slides which are easier to grasp. I suggest that you go and purchase some skateboard tape or anti skid tape for steps and place a couple of small squares on each side of your pistols slide and then have your daughter try it again.

· Registered
4,811 Posts
I have both an LCP and an SR9c. Stock recoil springs on the LCP are 9 lbs. On the SR9c they are in the 15-18 lb range.

I think the LCP is a lot easier to rack. The SR9c is a lot easier to shoot, however.

The LCP is a real handful in part to it being about 1/3 the weight of the SR9c and the very small back of the handle where the recoil force is transferred into your hand.

It would be best to try to shoot an LCP first before buying.

· Registered
60 Posts
Both my wife and daughter carry LCP's
It took them a while to learn how to rack the slide but after working with them it came around and they both love them.

It should be here choice as some of the others have said
I bought one for myself first then after they were able to shoot mine they wanted their own.

Bob

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the guidance. It will be her conceal carry piece, but she will use it at the range to make sure she is completely comfortable with it. The LCP was her idea because she really likes the feel of the SR9c and was hoping it was just a smaller version. I did teach her the hand over rack on my SR9c and it helped quite a bit. She would settle for an SR9c, but she was hoping for something smaller. A friend of hers has a Kahr .380 and the size was what she was looking for. It just did not have the right feel for her. I was thinking a SIG P238, but the cost was double the LCP.

I may buy the LCP and if she finds it too harsh, I'll take it for myself and get her something else. Still very open to suggestions since we won't be buying it tomorrow. Looking for the right mix of price, conceal-ability, size, shoot-abilit and ease of use (I know, we want everything in a small package).

· Registered
7,096 Posts

Let me try to help you. My wife(5'6" 120lbs) has her CCW & carries an LCP.
2 things we did for $20 total.
1. Install the Hogue grip, the 1 that is permanent on the lcp . It helped her grip the gun better & helped with recoil.
2. Changed the recoil spring to a Wolff #11 lb. spring. That helped with felt recoil & its been in for 9 months & the gun has functioned flawlessly.
No, it's not a range gun, but the last thing we do every trip is put 50 rounds through what we are carrying. Now my pocket carry is a Taurus 738 TCP.
I did not want 2 LCP's & found this gem. $199 msrp, the slide locks back on the last roung & I personally like the trigger better.
Like stated before, find a range you can rent a few & try them out

· Registered
1,259 Posts

Take her to the range and shoot some .380 pistols, then decide.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went and looked at all the .380 choices today, then talked to my daughter about them. We are going to go back and let her see and feel them all. I'm leaning towards a SIG P238 or an LC9, but it will be up to her. She is still looking for that SR9c's feel. I'll let you know what she goes with.

· Registered
759 Posts
Although I agree with 95% of what the others have said about the 380 and the SR22 (my wife loves hers), I think she will have a hard time finding the SR9c feel in anything other than an SR pistol. I would suggest she get the SR9c and work on her racking technique and she will get stronger. It's been a while since I have shot a LC9, but I think the recoil was not as pleasant as the SR9c. Good luck.

· Registered
20 Posts
Just a thought...the new LC9 may be a viable option? I have not handled one yet, but might be worth taking a look at for your daughter. I love Rugers too...heading to gun show in Macon tomorrow and intend to look over the LC9 myself. Appears to be in between the LCP and SR9c size.

· Registered
332 Posts
Although I agree with 95% of what the others have said about the 380 and the SR22 (my wife loves hers), I think she will have a hard time finding the SR9c feel in anything other than an SR pistol. I would suggest she get the SR9c and work on her racking technique and she will get stronger. It's been a while since I have shot a LC9, but I think the recoil was not as pleasant as the SR9c.
As an owner, lover, and shooter, of both the LC9 and the SR9C I agree 100% with you regarding the relative perceived recoil. The SR9C is an entirely different animal and the perceived recoil is absolutely minimal while the LC9's perceived recoil is MUCH more noticable. While the LC9 is a great gun for what it was intended for, it is simply not a fun gun to shoot. The SR9C IS definitely a fun gun to shoot and relatively much easier to shoot accurately.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.