Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is a petite 22 year old that likes to shoot. She is really struggling with racking my SR9c and Colt .45 at the range. Other then that she loves the SR9c. I was thinking of buying her an Ruger LCP for Christmas as her CC. Neither of us has shot one yet, but I'm guessing it has the "Ruger feel" that we both like.

So now to my question, would you buy a LCP for your wife or daughter? If not, what .380 pocket gun would you buy?

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the guidance. It will be her conceal carry piece, but she will use it at the range to make sure she is completely comfortable with it. The LCP was her idea because she really likes the feel of the SR9c and was hoping it was just a smaller version. I did teach her the hand over rack on my SR9c and it helped quite a bit. She would settle for an SR9c, but she was hoping for something smaller. A friend of hers has a Kahr .380 and the size was what she was looking for. It just did not have the right feel for her. I was thinking a SIG P238, but the cost was double the LCP.

I may buy the LCP and if she finds it too harsh, I'll take it for myself and get her something else. Still very open to suggestions since we won't be buying it tomorrow. Looking for the right mix of price, conceal-ability, size, shoot-abilit and ease of use (I know, we want everything in a small package).

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went and looked at all the .380 choices today, then talked to my daughter about them. We are going to go back and let her see and feel them all. I'm leaning towards a SIG P238 or an LC9, but it will be up to her. She is still looking for that SR9c's feel. I'll let you know what she goes with.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
First, let me thank everyone for the replys and advise. It is helping. I asked about revolvers, but she said no. She is not a fan of revolvers at this point. She has her mind set on a semi auto pocket carry. Anyone own a Sig P238 and can give an unbiased review? I'd rather get a review here then on a Sig forum.

She went to the store with me and liked the feel of LCP and the "mini 1911" in her words. I steered her away from the LCP based off of the advise given here. She was able to rack the P238 with no issues. Her hand kept slipping off the LCP. The guys behind the counter said that the P238 was one of the nicest shooting .380 pocket guns. They also said they sell a lot to woman. We did not buy it till I asked someone that shot it. I found a local range that rents guns, but they did not have anything guns in .380 to shoot. I gave in and let her shoot the Wather PPK/s today that I have and it was ok except it bit her (this gun bites everyone, that's why I was keeping it away from her). Really leaning towards the Sig P238 at this point.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, she picked out the Sig P238 Nitron special edition Rosewood. Easiest slide she tried. Night sights and holster are part of the factory package. I tried to talk her into the Colt Mustang in satin finish with black grips. I just happens to be the little twin to my Colt combat commander .45. No dice, she had love at first sight. She had only seen the Sig in the two tone model and she was not a fan of the light gray grips or stainless slide.

I may have to go out after Christmas and get the baby Colt for myself. Looks like a nice summer carry.

I would like to thank all of you again. You stopped me from blindly following my loyalty and you got me shopping for the right gun for my daughter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.