Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buy this shotgun. What do you think?

It's a Savage, 12ga. double barrel.

Jman

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
long as it's 27" overall and 18 in barrel length...it's legal...it's lethal...and it'll talk to you when you shoot it...but if the stuff's in the fan...you won't mind...I'd say $300 max...parts may be hard to find...I've had the Stevens 311 many times....I think the Savage is called 511.....does it have ejectors or just extractors? I always wanted the Fox with single trigger and barrel selector on the safety...last one I saw was over $500....what America needs is a good AMERICAN affordable double...looks like you've found one...what's that crinkly finish on the stock? Paint?-might be fun to strip and refinish it...I think I'd buy it for a house gun...never ask an opinionated old fart what he thinks.....:D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Never got into pistol grip shotguns but i can see where they would be handy in close quarters.
The 311 was a good basic field sxs.
Open the action and tilt her down and forward and make sure those firing pins don't protrude by gravity.

The way the stock has been cut it might be a knuckle-buster on recoil especially reaching for that front trigger.
Would make a heck of a car gun or door greeter.
For tickles and grins i would also check with gun parts corp just to see if they still had an orginal stock should you decide to change it later on.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I like it, and agree with Sheepdog it would be fun to refinish that wood. I also agree with Sheepdog on this:

"what America needs is a good AMERICAN affordable double."

But I like it. What will it cost?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Beautiful looking weapon...I've always like the SxS too...scarry looking down the barrel of one of those. I am not sure, however, how practical they are for home defense though. The stock is probably the most important part of a shotgun...one must have the correct LOP for accuracy and good follow up shots. For coolness...this buy would be nice. If it were my only shotty...I'd rather spend it on a Rem 870 or one like my Mossy 590.

·
Registered
80 Posts
the selector switch is going to cut into the web of your hand on recoil with the broomstick style can you even find a real pistol grip for that? i have the ati top folder on a mossberg 500 8 shot and love it... compact.. handles nice in hallway but still full lenght stock at push of button

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sheepdog, it's legal. I don't know about the ejectors or extractors and really don'y know what you mean? Care to tell me more? You stated "never ask an opinionated old fart what he thinks," well from one old fart to another, I did and I appreciate your response. Thanks.

deputy125, thanks for the advise. I like the shortened stock. May refinish it.

dawdfvr, yea, I also like the scarey factory. Answer the door to an unwanted guest and they usually don't stay long. I've shot a lot of shortened guns like this. I don't use hot loads and shoot from the hip with the left thumb over the barrel and it's not bad. I'm also 6'4" @ 270#'s. That's scarey too. Shoot it a lot and it gets warm, if you know what I mean. I have a Winchester model 12 that resembles the 870 you have pictured. Just bluer.

Brandon, I don't think it'll cut into the web. My grip on it is a couple inches behind it. I have a Mavrick model 88 with the pistol grip and a Mossberg 500 with a standard stock and 18" barrel. I think I got the place covered.

Thanks for the replies. I think the price is right and I got to have it!

Jman

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks, Jman 8182...I do get long-winded sometimes...well, most of the time....when you open the action and break the barrels open, there are small ledges under the rim of the shell on the bottom half which either: 1) raise the shell up enough for you to get your fingers on it and pull it out, or 2) eject the empty shell clear of the gun and raise up the unfired one a little.....the 311 only had extractors ( the first option) and the Foxes and better ones like Ithica had ejectors(the second option)...a Cadillac feature but cost a bit more...now quit teasin' us and tell us the price...we've waited long enough!!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't handled the gun yet, so don't know if it's got extractors or ejectors. If you must know, is costing me $275 shipped to my dealer with another $20 for the transfer fees. That's a little more than what I wanted to pay, but it's kind of a "one of a kind" type gun that will be fun to play with.

Jman

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah, I'm nosey...but that's a great price on that gun-you'll probably fondle the finish right off the stocks and won't have to sand it...it'll be hard to put down....you'll stay up nights saying "What was that????"....I'm glad for you...deals like that aren't often....as an aside, I knew an old man who was stove up in his knees-lived in a bad area of Fort Worth...every night he put his trusty side-by-side in the bed beside him, pulled up the sheets, and slept like a baby....he couldn't run...wouldn't have had to...

·
Registered
880 Posts
There's nothing quite like a SxS....particularly if one is unfortunate enough to be observing from th' business end...that WILL sober up a trouoble-maker...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah, and when you look down it the wrong way, you can see Jesus with His arms folded...it's hard to miss with that short, no-choke barrel...and you know if that trigger twitches, you'll be doin' some tall explainin' in a second 'bout why someone shot you!!!! Only a fool would bow up and try...how often are they born again??? #4 Buck oughta be about right...

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
I always liked those old Stevens guns and had a couple. I had the fancier Savage with the single trigger and selective ejectors too. It was nicer to look at, but I shot the cheaper, plainer 311 better - much better.

There are 2 things that absolutely terrify just about everybody...the sound of a pump shotgun racking a round in the chamber in a darkened room and looking at the business end of a sawed-off side by side. Either one would make me very obedient (and probably very smelly, if you know what I mean [:I]).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, I asked. Maybe I can shoot it like a pistol!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd rest my other hand across the barrels or you might make like Josh Randall and spin that thing all the way to Texas!!! Hey, Rman, where's that Savage now????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts