Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've made up my mind on a Mini-14. I planned to buy one when I got my tax returns in Feb., but with the ever increasing mass shootings and the very real threat of a possible "assault weapons" ban or some other gun control legislation, and an ensuing "run on guns" from the public, I was thinking of buying right now.

There is a Mini-14 available at my local Gander Mountain. It has the traditional wood stocks and blued barrel, which is not the version that I really wanted, but after thinking about it the wood stocks may seem less "intimidating" to ignorant people if that issue ever came up. We all know how black = evil. :rolleyes:

It is most likely not on sale, and it will put me in some debt, but I fear if I wait much longer I won't be able to get one at all. I can't afford high tech AR-15's, etc. I was also thinking of buying a few 30 round mags for it before those went the way of the Dodo as well.

My other option is a decent gun show going on this weekend where I can might be able to pick something of this nature up. SKS? Military Surplus? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I've had a Tactical Mini for a year and absolutly love it. I've been doin' a lot of reloading keeping it fed. It is without a doubt a blast(two ways). I also run the Tapco GenII 30 rd mags and they operate flawlessly(I have 4 of 'em).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a Tactical Mini for a year and absolutly love it. I've been doin' a lot of reloading keeping it fed. It is without a doubt a blast(two ways). I also run the Tapco GenII 30 rd mags and they operate flawlessly(I have 4 of 'em).
Thanks... I know the Mini is great, but I'm asking if I should buy one now in my situation, or if you think I'm needlessly panicking and should just wait until I can pay cash... if they are still legal or if any are left by then.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Hard to tell the future, in my old age I'm no longer very optimistic. So I guess I would go for it. I think the day could be near you'll need something like a Mini or AR to survive.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I would be more worried about the availability than about some sort of a quick ban.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I think you will see a feeding frenzy at gun shops across the nation starting tomorrow.

If you can get that Mini-14 without them marking it up even more, it could make sense to buy now.

Passing laws usually takes a lot of time, but with the public and politicians this riled up, things could happen very quickly.

And Obama loves his Executive Orders that circumvent both Congress and the US Constitution so an EO suspending sales of semi-auto firearms is a possibility.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you will see a feeding frenzy at gun shops across the nation starting tomorrow.
I think so too.

If you can get that Mini-14 without them marking it up even more, it could make sense to buy now.
I think so too.

Passing laws usually takes a lot of time, but with the public and politicians this riled up, things could happen very quickly.
I think so too.

And Obama loves his Executive Orders that circumvent both Congress and the US Constitution so an EO suspending sales of semi-auto firearms is a possibility.
I guess there is something about wisdom coming with age (no offense)! I think our feelings are right on this matter. Even if no meaningful legislation comes up anytime soon, the public will panic and make the prices high and availability scare (supply and demand). By the time the manufacturers catch up, then there may be some law in place!

As I said in my original post, I'm open to buying an SKS or something equivalent at the gun show tomorrow, but I'm not sure what all to look for. I will look for a Mini-14 there, but if that fails, I will head to Gander Mountain and buy the one I saw, if it's still available.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well remember a wood stock can be had for a reasonable price on ebay. Seems from 25-80 depending on shape. I will say locally the Mini 14's have gone up in price at both the LGS and good retail gun stores. From 720-740 (LGS) and 730-740 (retail), for the SS/synthetic..

·
Registered
120 Posts
My Son in law tried to talk a seller at a gun show down in price on a Mini last week. The seller would not budge off of a nearly $1K price saying "these things are getting hard to find". I bought one at Wally last month for $667.00. I searched Wally web site for one in stock somewhere near me. I found one 150 miles away and drove to get it.

Semi auto rifles are in demand right now and 223 ammo is getting scarce as well.

Maybe your area is different but here in Missouri folks are buying this stuff up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm sure you know this Chris........

If you get the Mini-14 [and I would....soon]
remember how the magazine needs to be inserted.

It's not like what most people are used to, and
is one of the most common causes of complaints
about the Mini failing to feed.....and is simply
not the gun's fault.

Put in at an angle and rocked back til it clicks......

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought a tactical mini right after the election for the same concerns you state. Bought extra 20 and 30 round mags as well. If you can find what you want I would go for it. I love the rifle by the way.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Buy it if you want it. Reasonable price, versus other choices.

Nothing but a lot of talking should happen in Fed Gov. Votes are not there at least in House of Representatives.

Picked up our second one a few weeks ago, went with tactical this time. Paid around $700.

·
Registered
659 Posts
last year at this time I bought a DPMS Ar-15 from Centerfire Systems for $599, and I love it! check out their website and also CDNN's site.good gun selections and good prices.

·
US Constitution Defender
889 Posts
Not that my opinion on a gun forum is all that important which it isn't... but I find this interesting so I offer it nonetheless.

Most of the AK-47s I have seen have a natural wood stock. They still look 'scarrrry' to certain people.

If I wanted the black tactical model, I would get what I wanted and not pay attention to what someone else might possibly think I shouldn't get based on scariness of the color black. (the image of a big disarmingly friendly yellow smiley face :) on a black stock just popped into my mind and made me smile lol)

Personally, if I were to ever decide to have a tactical rifle I would get it in a desert tan or a nice desert camo pattern. I simply don't prefer guns in a black or in a novelty color like pink or lavender.

In view of it being tactical, I might however be at least a little bit tempted to paint a small white Lilly on the stock in honor of Lt. Lydia Litvak, the so-called White Rose of Stalingrad. She was the posthumous recipient of Hero of the Soviet Union having been a WWII ace combat fighter pilot.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Bought 2 Mini 14's a week after the election from a Wal Mart in Crestview FL some 35 miles away for $637 each, when the local Walmart in Pace FL(10 miles away), Brewton Al(20 miles away), and all the WalMarts in Pensacola FL(25-35 miles away) had sold out... I have been looking just out of curiousity to see if they are getting any in the stores over the past 3 weeks, and EVERY time I am in the store, they have beeen OUT OF STOCK...

Went to 2 of the area'a biggest gun/outdoors/hunting/sporting goods stores day before yesterday and BOTH told me that they were on back order...

SO, to sum it up, In my humbled opinion, if you are wanting a Ruger, Mini 14 rifle, and can find one in stock below or at suggested retail price, I'd say GET IT...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Get it while you can. The wood stock is nice & you can always change it out later if you want the black or tactical stock.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just got back home from my "buying trip" to get a stainless steel synthetic stock Mini -14,the P/N 5817 one.

I checked at many gun stores in person and by computer all over Ohio. Walmart chain wide is out of stock both Mini 14 and similar Mini 30. There were NONE anywhere. Finally found that last one at Woodbury Outfitters in St Clairsville Ohio 100 miles away. Did not even know there was one other than Coshocton,then had to find it.

I wanted the synthetic/stainless one for "bury in the yard" if it gets that bad.

This gun store was in the sticks and there were no parking places completly full as was full of people. The records check was running 45 minutes behind.

Does this say everyone has the same idea and better get one while still possible. If you find one today it will be gone tommorow and this is all variations,blue and wood as well. You can look at a variety of places as I did and see the list "out of stock",this is Bass Pro Shop in Cincinatti as well.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was very fortunate to pick up my Mini14 a couple of weeks ago as the store that I bought it from now has none in stock. My Mini14 is the S.S. black stock model, but I have also been eyeing a wood stock for her.
I say buy now before they really start to climb in price and availability.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm ready...I already have a mini 14 stainless and a Mini 30 Ranch Rifle with 20 and 30 rd mags for both of them. I just have to get a set of rings for the ranch rifle so I can put my Weaver scope on it. I paid 325 bucks at a pawn shop for the Mini 30 14 years ago. It was unfired condition, I also paid 395 bucks for the Mini 14 stainless also about 15 years ago. With the crap going on, they are keepers for sure.....:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts