Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dipping my toes into the world of reloading and of course I have questions.I have found a new "RCBS Reloader Special Combo with .38/.357 and 7mm Rem" dies on CL for $250.00. Is this a good deal? Will it get me enough hardware to get started in reloading? Is this a good product or should I be looking for something better/upgradeable? I could not find this "Kit" on RCBS's website.Any assistance is appreciated...

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
It sounds like a good deal if you can use those particular dies. If I didn't reload, I couldn't afford to shoot. There may be extras that go with that set, too, but if not the next thing you need is a good reloading manual.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have 2 Security-sixes and a Speed-Six so I can definitely use the .38/.357 dies...The 7mm not so much...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Stop thinking, and start doing. Reloading is a great hobby :)

Invest in a couple good manuals.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I think reloading is about as much fun as shooting.

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
I am an RCBS fan but I am not impressed with the kit as it is. It lists Speer Manual # 10, the current Speer manual is #14 and 10 is out of date. It looks like a really old kit and makes me wonder about replacement parts for some of the items. Cabelas usually has an RCBS kit in the $250-$350 range for the Rock Chucker but the only one I see has all the 1st class bells and whistles including the electronic charger system and case prep center for over $700 and it is all you would need except for a case cleaner. But it is some major money. Check out the Hornaday Kit on Cabelas that isn't a bad price.

Bass Pro has a rockchucker kit for $350 and to me that is a better bargain than the one you are considering.

RCBS® Rock Chucker™ Supreme Master Reloading Kit | Bass Pro Shops

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had a recommendation from "A retired Gunsmith" that says to go for it and that the older ones are made of steel other than aluminium like the new ones.Also that I should get the new #14 manual.I have contacted the owner and will be meeting him later...Any recommendations on literature to help school me on the process?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've had a recommendation from "A retired Gunsmith" that says to go for it and that the older ones are made of steel other than aluminium like the new ones.Also that I should get the new #14 manual.I have contacted the owner and will be meeting him later...Any recommendations on literature to help school me on the process?
You are getting a great deal. Plus, this is the older one that is made of steel. Midway sells the newer kit RCBS Reloader Special-5 Single Stage Press Kit for about $280 without the dies. At $35 / per die set, this is 280 + (3 x $35) = $385 worth of reloading equipment for $250 cash.

Yes, I would say that this is a very good deal.

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
RCBS is good products and I have an old Rockchucker that has served me well for 35 years, but for my current loader I have a Dillon 550 B and it is in my opinion the best on the market. The no B.S. warranty is actually that, if you have Any problems even if it's a brain fart and you break something all you have to do is call and they will send you new parts very quickly. A friend has one of Dillons square deal that has loaded thousands of pistol rounds in various calibers and he called them because it was getting a little loose and they said he could send them the press and they would rebuild it or if he was comfortable doing it himself they would send him a rebuild kit that would put it as good as new. he took the later choice and every thing he needed was there he's good for another 50,000 rounds. Maybe before you make your purchase take a look at Dillon's
website, good luck either way.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I read somewhere that both Dillon and RCBS have lifetime warranties on their products.Is this true?

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Yes they both have Lifetime warranty's but I have personally had better luck with Dillon due to some of the product line changes in RCBS. Either is a good choice

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"NO" don't do it, I just looked at the add the pic of the press is the old style out of date press, from the 60' or 70"s you want the new Rock Chucker I wouldn't even give $100 for that set cause I wouldn't want it. Buy a new RCBS starter kit, RCBS is the best single stage made as for warranty they are like Ruger they will take care of you for life.

ADDED: also check out the reloading manual in the set fom the CL add it's old and before my time, that's a old obsolete set you should pass on.
Yes I know its an OLD style press that was verified by the owner.I'm also not sure I want a New Rock Chucker at this point I don't know enough about the hardware to know good from bad.I do know that there seems to be more positive feedback toward the getting of this set. Tell me some reasons NOT to get this one...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I enjoy the technical aspect of firearms the best. I like tinkering with them to gain accuracy and reliability. Reloading is a natural branch of the same quest for technical information and experimentation. Bullet casting is another branch. Self defense is another branch but it's not as big for me. I have a CHL and am pretty good with handguns but that's about as far as it goes with me.

People get into trouble with reloading as they picture making their own ammo to be automatic as they pull a lever. If you like the tinkering that is required to make good ammo, you'll like reloading. Guys who put reloading strictly on a monetary basis, usually lose interest. They find that saving a few bucks on a box of ammo is not worth the effort required.

I reload because I like doing it. I especially like reloading using my own cast and resized lead bullets. If you like those things, we are here to help you get started.

Re: Dillon Presses:
I had three Dillon RL 450 presses that were at least 23 years old. Whenever something broke, they sent me the parts free. Their rule of thumb is that if it breaks....they pay. If you're upgrading it to newer design.....you pay.

I bought an RL550 press and liked it so much that I bought a 550 frame ($94) rebuilt and completely converted my old 450 press to a 550 B then added auto powder and primer feeds. It breathed new life into the old press.

Flash

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Take my word as someone who has used both pass on the obsolete set.
I am in the service industry (Electronics) so I am technically apt in other words give me facts/reasons that this will not work for me.It is old but its brand new NOS and give a recommendation of something that will get me to where I will not need much to start this...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts