Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Hall Tax is for interest and dividends on out of state accounts and investments. It behooves you to move your "stuff" to TN along with your belongings.
They have done away with that tax on investments!

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Cat Herder
1,630 Posts
I've been in the area of Johnson City and it is very nice, but it seemingly takes forever to get anywhere.

A lot of people I've know that live near the border go to Kentucky for groceries- no sales tax on food, 6% on everything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We moved to the Arkansas Ozarks from the Chicagoland area, it was like moving back to the 1950's. The first two years were great, and then it set in that there was little to do. Well, I got a job driving a truck all through this country and just couldn't wait to get home. We have a double wide on nine acres and have been here 26 years, loving it. We moved a mobile home on to uninproved acreage so we qualified for the homestead act, the most tax we paid (combined real estate and personal property) was $53. You might want to look into that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok, I’ve lived in Northern VA three times, OK, TX, three different places in OR, RI and GA. I moved to TN in 1982 to be an athlete for the University of TN in Knoxville. Since then I have spent a lot of years in Chattanooga, Knoxville and now Franklin which is a great city outside of Nashville. First, I love TN and don’t ever want to leave the state. I love Knoxville, Chattanooga and Franklin. The state has a good cost of living, good people and BTW very gun friendly. I have raised/still raising four children here. My adult oldest daughter got her doctorate at ETSU and lives in Johnson City. If I didn’t have to be concerned about my work and where my family settles then Johnson City would be my number one choice to live. Keep in mind this is called the Tri-cities because Bristol, JC and Kingsport are all right together. They have everything to shop for or eat that I would ever want. Asheville NC is close too. The mountains are beautiful and you can easily get to Knoxville. I have one good reason why you shouldn’t. I will be extremely jealous! And GO VOLS!

·
Registered
16 Posts
We moved to NE TN South of Jonesborough 5 years ago from Western NY. I normally don't talk up TN on the internet because we don't want anymore liberals moving down, but a gun forum is probably safe. We love it. We live in the country on 7.5 acres, I have a range behind the house that I can shoot from the deck. As someone mentioned the Hall tax has been phased out. Moving from NY most everything is cheaper, we figure we are saving at least $10K a year in lower taxes and lower cost of living. We are retired so jobs wasn't on our list of needs but being 30 minutes or less from Johnson City gives all the exposure we need to businesses and probably work if we needed. JC and Kingsport have good hospitals and medical centers. They have recently merged which is causing some growing pains now but it is being worked out. We are only an hour from Asheville, NC and 90 minutes from Knoxville if we needed even bigger hospitals. We bought helicopter insurance that is very reasonable and insures we can be flown to the hospital if needed without breaking the bank. An ambulance base with helicopter pad is about 2 miles from our house.

The biggest think the locals ask and I have considered myself local since the first week we moved, is don't bring big city liberal ideas with you and try to tell the locals how they should change things. TN has a balanced budget and no debt, they must be doing something right. Doing that with low taxes is a plus. Yes the sales tax is high but not much more than NY. I have twice the house by asset value and pay about 25% as much real estate and school tax.

As a gun owner I highly recommend you join TN Gun Owners forum Tennessee Gun Owners I joined when we were thinking about moving and met a lot of like thinking people. They may give you a hard time if your a yankee but it is all in good fun. I met a fellow on there from JC before we even moved that has turned into one of my best friends. His TN roots go back to the Revolutionary War when a great great etc was given land for his service. He said he never thought one of his best friends would be a Yankee. If you join TGO there is a forum for new members to introduce themselves, good place to tell what you are thinking and want if you move to TN. They will be quick to give advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A dear friend of mine, a guy I've known since we were toddlers, recently retired and moved to Johnson City, TN. This past week, I took a road trip to visit him. While there, we looked around at some more rural areas / towns and I was hooked. The people, the vibe, the lower cost of living ....pretty much everything really got me thinking seriously about moving to that area (Hawkins County).

My wife and I are interested in maybe buying a couple of acres (maybe a bit more) and building a house there. We figure we could buy the property now and make the move in a year or so - when we're better situated to do so.

If there are any forum members here who live in that area or know that area well, I'd sure appreciate any insights you might be able to offer.
Great place, we moved to Dickson TN from Mexifornia. After 12 months had to relocate due to wife's allergies.
Montgomery County Shooting Complex is the heaven on earth gun range. Halfway between Clarkesville and Dickson. Rifle, pistols, steel or paper, archery, trap, skeet, 5 stand and full course are all available. Great staff and a non profit. Place looks like a quality golf course.

Tactical competitions are available as well.

Alan.

·
Super Moderator
21,253 Posts

Looks pretty good there in the above article.

From my travels eastern, TN and western NC in the Smokeys is a truly beautiful part of the country.

When we used to RV to TX for the winter we always stayed at Village Creek State Park in Arkansas. That is a nice area in East AR as well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Remember that TN is actually "the three states of Tennessee."

Even though it is more "Southern" in lifestyle and people's accents, West TN is ultra left wing, for the most part, and is the home of "Mogadishu on the Mississippi" - otherwise known as Memphis.
How interesting. I grew up in Memphis, actually pronounced "Me'omphis" when I was growing up there in the 50's and 60's. Elvis's town. Best pork BBQ in the US. I left permanently in the mid-70's -- chasing that professional position -- and have not been back since mom and dad died.

Johnson City. I backpacked on the AT near there in the early 70's pretty country. But if it's over 60k pop now, no longer my cup of tea.

Rural. I've lived on the edge of N Maine for 3.5 years; 11 years in Maine after escaping the west coast. Nothing north of my town (4000) but forests, lakes, swamps, marshes, deer, bear, mosquitoes and black flies. Not even a grocery north of Katahdin. There's only about 30 people living in the northern most county (Aroostook), an unorganized territory (no local .gov).

Next week, I'm moving downeast near Bay of Fundy near the Canadian border. It's a famous black spot on the map of cell phone coverage in the US. Once you get 20 mi north of the coast, connection = NADA. But the wilderness is spectacular, and accessible only by ATV and snowmobile.

Good luck on your move down to TN. It's pretty country.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One of the problems the people in the South are facing is that a lot of the "yankees" (I use that term with the utmost respect 😁) move down and start voting to change things to the way they were up North. So then you start having higher taxes, more expensive property, less and less people who like the fact that you can shoot off your back or in my case front porch, and higher crime, because nobody wants to prosecute the poor, underprivileged criminal who can't hold a job and decides he needs your stuff more than you do. But... I live in SC, but travel to that area for visits, it is beautiful, and there are good folks that live there. Get to know them, learn the language, and learn to say y'all, yes 'ir, yes mam, and enjoy drinking your fresh tea and lemonade on the veranda! Most of all, slooow way down.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Next week, I'm moving downeast near Bay of Fundy near the Canadian border. It's a famous black spot on the map of cell phone coverage in the US. Once you get 20 mi north of the coast, connection = NADA. But the wilderness is spectacular, and accessible only by ATV and snowmobile.

Good luck on your move down to TN. It's pretty country.
The word "snowmobile" throws a wrench in that whole idea. I like going to higher elevations to play in the snow, but I just don't understand living in it? 😉

·
Registered
4 Posts
After 26 years I think I earned the title of "damn yankee". There was a reason I moved here from there and I don't want to change things. Occasionally the vote comes up to turn my county wet but I don't vote either way, it's not my place. It's embarrassing when yankees come down here and loudly proclaim how they would "improve" things.

·
Exchequer
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
We live in Russellville TN which is a small community on Cherokee Lake. We are half way between JC area and Knoxville. TN is a great state to live in and even retire. You get a lot for your money here. We like to shop up in JC more than Knoxville, It’s a nice drive and very pretty.

Hope you find something nice!

JR
And that's the exact area we're interested in moving to. Things are actually progressing -somewhat. I've contacted our local realtor to get an idea of what we could sell our current home for. And my wife and I agree that, if we're going to do this, we should rent in Johnson City for a year. (My wife can work from home but needs high speed Internet to do so and it's not available yet in some rural areas of Hawkins Co.). Renting will give us time to shop for a plot of land, get to know the area better, and build a place without having to rush.

Since we've been together, my wife and I have moved quite a bit. We've been where we are now in FL for more than 20 years and since my MIL passed, there's really nothing holding us here. Time for the next adventure. Hell, you only get one ride, Might as well keep it interesting. Besides, I'd rather get old wearing boots in the mountains than knee-high compression socks in FL! :oops:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actually was standing next to a fellow that at the time had only met once or twice through a common friend, when he said, back in NJ we did it better, they should do ... I told him if they did it better in NJ he should move back but leave it alone here. He said nothing. I have since gotten to know him better (still don't like him much) and he never says such things around me anymore. I do vote but I take advice from several local friends that know the backgrounds of the local candidates since they have lived in the area all their lives and both are/were in a position to know the politics of the area.

We had a realtor help us find our place and when we were done I asked him if I could recommend him to my friends. He said he would be glad to help any of my conservative friends. One of the first gun shops I stopped in they asked where I was from (hard to hid the accent and the locals don't like fake accents) I told him where we had moved from and he said Welcome to America.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A dear friend of mine, a guy I've known since we were toddlers, recently retired and moved to Johnson City, TN. This past week, I took a road trip to visit him. While there, we looked around at some more rural areas / towns and I was hooked. The people, the vibe, the lower cost of living ....pretty much everything really got me thinking seriously about moving to that area (Hawkins County).

My wife and I are interested in maybe buying a couple of acres (maybe a bit more) and building a house there. We figure we could buy the property now and make the move in a year or so - when we're better situated to do so.

If there are any forum members here who live in that area or know that area well, I'd sure appreciate any insights you might be able to offer.
My brother bought some land a few years ago in a rural area about 30 minutes drive east of Johnson City. The place is beautiful. Only problem he is having is getting ridiculous quotes for his house. He'll end up ok, but if it were me, I'd probably have to sell the land cause I would not be able to afford those prices. His land is in a gated expensive community... but not the super expensive ones. Just look into the builders in the area... there are not many east of Johnson city in the mountains and they seem to know it and are taking advantage of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have lived in Cleveland, TN for fifteen years. If you plan on building your house, bring a carpenter, plumber and electrician with you. It is difficult to find anyone in these trades that know what they are doing. It is also difficult to find good medical treatment.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My brother bought some land a few years ago in a rural area about 30 minutes drive east of Johnson City. The place is beautiful. Only problem he is having is getting ridiculous quotes for his house. He'll end up ok, but if it were me, I'd probably have to sell the land cause I would not be able to afford those prices. His land is in a gated expensive community... but not the super expensive ones. Just look into the builders in the area... there are not many east of Johnson city in the mountains and they seem to know it and are taking advantage of it.
Ah yes, the locals have different price lists for different areas, for sure! We live in a "retirement/resort community" which is not gated and has everything from a trailer park to a section of very nice manufactured homes to stick built houses slightly larger than cabins, to typical "middle class" houses, to huge houses up to two million dollars each. No matter which "section" you live in: If you live in this community you will pay a higher price for anything you need to have done, from appliance repair to house painting to building projects. If you move out to the country or even in the nearby small city, the rates are lower for everything.

The know-it-all, loud mouthed, demanding Yankees who moved here did it to themselves! Now the rest of us are paying.

·
Exchequer
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have lived in Cleveland, TN for fifteen years. If you plan on building your house, bring a carpenter, plumber and electrician with you. It is difficult to find anyone in these trades that know what they are doing. It is also difficult to find good medical treatment.
We're actually looking into a modular home as opposed to stick build. Just need to make sure the land we buy doesn't have any kind of restrictions on modular.

·
Exchequer
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The know-it-all, loud mouthed, demanding Yankees who moved here did it to themselves! Now the rest of us are paying.
Originally from IL, then CA, now FL. Has my damned Yankee tag worn off by now? 😉

Over all the years and with all the moves, I've learned one never messes with the locals. No good ever comes from that. Better to just smile, nod, and say "that's nice...."

21 - 40 of 60 Posts