Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commented to my brother the other day that the current situation with the availability of guns and ammo reminds me of 2013. Right after the Sandy Hook Elementary mass shooting you couldn't find anything and prices were being jacked in a lot of places. Cheaper than Dirt still has a deservedly bad reputation from that period. However, there were retailers and websites that never went beyond MSRP, which earned a lot of goodwill.

However, I'm starting to think this time is different. Its not just CTD that is starting to look for ways to jack prices. Midway still seems to be fair, but a number of sites that last time were also reasonably are starting to jack their prices. I've seen stuff on Bud's, for example, that is crazy. Today I looked at a case of steel 7.62x39 on Classic Firearms that was relatively decently priced, but when I added it to my cart the shipping cost was at least twice (or more) of what I've paid in the past to have a case of ammo shipped. I don't buy that they are paying that much more for shipping right now.

Anyone else noticing this?

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
To get ammo to your door you have a lot going on- the raw materials are literally starting as rocks (basically). The miners have been dealing with COVID and shutdowns, so there goods end up being in higher demand and thus more expensive. The ore processors have had the same. The ammo factories too. Shippers have also dealt with and huge increase in packages and sick employees, so their services may have increased in cost.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To get ammo to your door you have a lot going on- the raw materials are literally starting as rocks (basically). The miners have been dealing with COVID and shutdowns, so there goods end up being in higher demand and thus more expensive. The ore processors have had the same. The ammo factories too. Shippers have also dealt with and huge increase in packages and sick employees, so their services may have increased in cost.
There are too any differences in the shipping quotes to believe that. Classic wants $50+ to ship that case of ammo. Buds will ship their more expensive equivalent for $30. I could go on because I've checked several sites. Buds is choosing to make their extra money up front by charging more for the product but keeping their shipping charges where they should be. Classic is pretending to be cheaper but making their money up by earning a profit on shipping charges.

All the things you mention apply to a point but they don't explain Federal 556 going for $600 a case in some places now. Part of the cost increase is retailers taking advantage of demand. The point of my original post was that we are seeing more of that this time around.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,898 Posts
Guess I'm lucky. The Walmart near me has plentiful .22 and usual prices. The Scheels near me has an OK stock; they sell out of of 9mm and other common calibers on the weekends but if you stop by on a weekday they usually have some. And the huge gun store outside of town (a pretty major online retailer) has pretty much everything in stock: 9mm, 45 ACP, 5.56, etc.

Both Scheels and the LGS have "most" guns in stock but not all. If you're looking for every permutation of SR-22 color ever made, they will not have them all, but will have many.

Honestly, a part of me is happy to see the manufacturers and gun shops making money again after a rough couple years.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Shippers have also dealt with and huge increase in packages and sick employees, so their services may have increased in cost.
Spiff, when to use the term “shipper”, do you mean point of origin or carrier?

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
I have been shopping Brownells again for small parts like flash suppressors, and thread protectors and have been happy with the prices. The shipping has been just "OK", but not by much. But when I try to buy ammo, the shipping is often the cost of a box of shotgun shells or almost as much as a brick of .22 LR. I used to buy enough to justify the "Edge" program cost of $50.00 annually for all shipping fees, but I just don't buy that much any more. So, a very nice price for a brick of .22 LR more than doubles when the shipping fee is added. And, I have not stepped foot in a WalMart store for almost a year, since they became less than stellar 2nd Amendment supporters. I am surprised to see that some of you have already made the trip back to their stores so soon!

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,319 Posts
About five or six years ago, only 9mm and .22LR were hard to find. Now, it seems like all handgun calibers are gone. Same with 5.56/.223.
Personally, what’s different for me is that ammo purchases now need background checks and I can’t buy online and ship to home.
Glad I stocked up before the new law took effect.
In November, hope to help retake Kalifornia.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My LGS has still been stocked up to the max. He wasn't even able to close on 4 July cause too many people were depending on him to be open on a non week/workday. He had a few boxes of a 1000 small pistol primers and I left one and said if no one snatches it up, I'll get it tomorrow. The next day there was 8 more 1000x boxes of small pistol and small rifle. The prices had gone up but it's not like I could get a better deal online with all these fees.... I wish I had known about these damn fees... I would have probably started reloading way sooner. Anyway... so I assume things are getting better with supplies and he tells me things are about to get much worse and will probably last till December at a minimum. He always gets a heads up on things and manages to get stuff when no one else can. He was calling me up telling me whenever he had stingers during the 22 shortage. Talk about being happy. lol

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,646 Posts
Today locally the larger outlet is almost dry of all ammo and they can not keep the shelves filled. They promise they will have more to stock this week. There is a 2 to 3 hour wait at the gun counter. (Ammo->.9mm, all 380, rimfire and 223/5.56 is very low) Our club and our small LGS is out of ammo with very few firearms/same as last week. Prices are very high and online outlets seem to be the same. I have done well stocking up these past years and glad we did.
*Just got some CCI Blazzer 38gr. 1235fps. and Mini Mag CPRN to add to the pile for plinking at a good price. But noticed the price doubled this past 24hrs.

Reactions: American

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
Spiff, when to use the term “shipper”, do you mean point of origin or carrier?
I guess both. If the warehouse guy packaging things is on overtime it increases cost, and it is also possible carrier prices are up. There seems to be packaging shortages too, I received a box from Grabagun the other day that was in a box from a candy supply company.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I guess both. If the warehouse guy packaging things is on overtime it increases cost, and it is also possible carrier prices are up.
Spiff, I’m gonna poke a couple hole in your statement, I was in this industry for years. If the warehouse worker is on overtime because someone is sick, the company is paying one less person....the guy who’s sick. If he’s on overtime because they are swamped, the companies making money. Carrier rate increases are effected by two things, fuel prices and contractual raises. All the other costs associated with the business are projected costs based on past practice. This pandemic isn’t even close to Christmas at UPS as far as package volume goes........my old co-workers are working a lot of hours, but no one has a “helper “ riding with them. Rates never went up based on volume, volume actually drives the profit margin up.

If shippers are raising their shipping rates due to covid I think they are just trying to cash in on it. If the product price goes up that could be a real issue because of a materials shortage to make said product.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i stopped at cabelas on the 4th. Very low gun inventory. Handgun ammo none. Popular rifle ammo none. Powder very few. Same with primers. All i bought was some 38 super brass.

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
Spiff, I’m gonna poke a couple hole in your statement, I was in this industry for years. If the warehouse worker is on overtime because someone is sick, the company is paying one less person....the guy who’s sick. If he’s on overtime because they are swamped, the companies making money. Carrier rate increases are effected by two things, fuel prices and contractual raises. All the other costs associated with the business are projected costs based on past practice. This pandemic isn’t even close to Christmas at UPS as far as package volume goes........my old co-workers are working a lot of hours, but no one has a “helper “ riding with them. Rates never went up based on volume, volume actually drives the profit margin up.

If shippers are raising their shipping rates due to covid I think they are just trying to cash in on it. If the product price goes up that could be a real issue because of a materials shortage to make said product.
If they are paying sick leave and overtime it is more expensive for a retailer.

I was trying to theorize why shipping and "handling" might be more expensive if that is actually the cost shown on the websites, but I will agree with the OP that some of the costs are absurd. Some sites have always had high shipping and handling (like Buds), but right now some sites are definitely cranking up shipping so they can trick the search engines like gunbot, wikiarms, and gun.deals.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
What you are seeing is the Democratic use of the term " Never let a good crisis go to waste" . It's simply an excuse to gouge customers and make an unfair profit in times of need .
Remember what companies are doing this , compile and post a list , and after the crisis ...take your business elsewhere .
I buy as much as I can from two small business gun shops ... I may not get the cheapest deal but I dont pay shipping or hazmat fee's and the owners of the shops need the business to survive ... I know both of them and that makes a big difference at the cash register ... I'm helping Larry put his children through college and not giving money to some bogus save the whale fund if I buy $250.00 in overpriced goods off the inter net dealer ( save the whales ...yeah, I'm sure they save a bunch of them) .

Sorry about the rant but the interweb dealers who jack up prices just because they can get away with it has always been a sore spot...just remember who they are and shop accordingly .
Gary

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I posted thus a few days ago. It applies here.

I live about 15 miles from one of the major US ammo manufacturers. Use to be able to get 1000 rounds of 9 MM seconds for $60 before that last big shortage after Sandy Hook. After SH the plant was running 24/7 for almost an year with mandatory OT. Just spoke to a long time employee of the plant last week. They are not going full bore this time...they say the orders are not coming in like they did last time.

I'm guessing a couple things have playing into that scenario..

1. They used to sell a ton of ammo thru Walmart who no longer sells handgun ammo.
2. Many gun stores may still not be open due to the Covid19.
3. Many gun stores do have ammo in their backrooms but they are reserving much of it for their customers who are also buying a gun. Why buy a new gun at top prices if you cannot get any ammo for it?
4. Retailers saw that hoarders would buy up the ammo at their original low prices and then turn around and sell it at a higher price. Perhaps the retailers are planning on slowly selling a few boxes and then raising the rates slowly each week to benefit from people willing to pay the higher prices.

Just guesses on my part based on info from a person who worked 7 days a week for many months when this happened before and they are not doing so now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Today locally the larger outlet is almost dry of all ammo and they can not keep the shelves filled. They promise they will have more to stock this week. There is a 2 to 3 hour wait at the gun counter. (Ammo->.9mm, all 380, rimfire and 223/5.56 is very low) Our club and our small LGS is out of ammo with very few firearms/same as last week. Prices are very high and online outlets seem to be the same. I have done well stocking up these past years and glad we did.
*Just got some CCI Blazzer 38gr. 1235fps. and Mini Mag CPRN to add to the pile for plinking at a good price. But noticed the price doubled this past 24hrs.
Your LGS doubling prices in 24 hours is not a good sign. This is like deja vu. I remember hearing someone talk about prices doubling back in the wonderful Obama years and when I went to my LGS, the same thing happened a week later. I better pay another visit tomorrow and get the stuff I was holding out on getting. lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
Seems like everyone is buying these days and many do not what the price is they should pay so some are going to try to make money.
Plus everyone in the supply chain is trying to make more money.
Supply and demand!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I find it very humorous when the folks who beat their chests about capitalism and the American way piss and whine when it rears its head. You can't have it both ways....All very simple economics.
Yeah, there is nothing I find funnier than paying triple or quadruple for something.... very humorous. And people dying so that other people can live free... you know... the whole American Way thing... is that humorous too?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts