1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video captures home invasion attempt

10:31 AM CST on Monday, January 7, 2008
By MONIKA DIAZ / WFAA-TV

An attempted break-in early Sunday morning led to a terrifying and unexpected wake up call for a woman in Glenn Heights.

Also Online
Video: Monika Diaz reports
While four men failed to break into Carrie Shannon's home on Brentwood Street, their attempt was captured on surveillance video.

Shannon was home alone when the men tried to kick in her door around 4:35 a.m.

"I immediately jumped up," she said of when she heard the loud kicking.

After hearing the men, Shannon said she got out of bed and called police on her cell phone.

A still of a suspect who was seen on video cutting the targeted home's phone line. "I grabbed my handgun and I proceeded right to the back, because as soon as I saw a shadow, I was going to go ahead and start shooting," she said.

After several kicks, the men gave up and took off.

"I just want to be safe here in my own home," Shannon said. "That's it. That's all I want."

Signs of the attempted home invasion were everywhere in the form of broken glass, damage to the door and a broken lock.

Shannon's home security camera didn't miss a beat either. It even caught one of the men cutting the phone line. The video was turned over to police.

WFAA-TV
Two men were captured on video trying to kick in the home's door. "I hope you go to jail," she said of the suspects. "You need to leave people alone."

Shannon said she believes the incident may be connected to a burglary that happened at her home nearly three weeks ago. In that case, four men stormed into her home through the front door.

"[I'm] just a hard working woman trying to live, trying to support her son and trying to support herself and live a better life," she said.

In the first incident, the suspects stole at least $1,200.

The Glenn Heights Police Department said they believe both cases may be connected.

sheepdog says: This is a sleepy little town...about 15000 folks...nothing ever happens here...but it does...every home in America is a target...the home invasion is becoming the way to go...not only you get what they've got...you can take a family member hostage and go to the ATM or bank....this ole dog's tellin' you, guys...keep your guns within arms' reach even in your homes...some doors only need one kick...I'd put a second deadbolt at about knee level, and that even in a steel front door...a shotgun at each end of the house, and these guys usually have more than one armed...I'll put my money into arming my family...the security camera wouldn't have kept this lady alive...the alarm company and police wouldn't have been in time....when you're awakened out of a sound sleep, you don't think "phone"...I've kicked in too many druggies' doors...I know what they reach for...we need to teach our kids and families...anyone who'll listen...this ain't Kansas, Dorothy!!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Who's There ?

A few months ago I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.Just as I was getting back into bed I hear a loud CLANG somewhere out in the kitchen or living room.Talk about my jewels up in my throat! We don't have kids or pets so I know someone is in the house.I grab my 870 and yell at my wife to wake up and tell her we have a burglar. My heart is pounding and my hands are shaking a bit.I hit the light switch in the hallway outside our bedroom.I want to be able to see my target if it approaches the bedroom.I look back over to my wife.She's got me covered with her SP 101 at the ready and hand on the phone.I yell out into the hallway:"GET OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW.THE POLICE HAVE BEEN CALLED.WE ARE ARMED." I rack a round into the chamber and cover the hallway.Now I'm sweating and shaking a bit more.I'm trying hard to listen if there's any movement out there.Nothing.I yell the warning again.About 5 or 10 minutes go by.Nothing. By this time my wife wants to know if she should call 911.I tell her to hold off for awhile.I yell the warning again.After 10 minutes or so after hearing nothing,I slowly clear the hallway until I reach the kitchen.My wife is covering me crouched back in the hallway.I finally see what caused this whole crisis.The intake screen on the exhaust fan over the stove had for some reason fallen out and hit a large pot underneath it.Talk about RELIEF! We had a good chuckle that night.Especially when I asked my wife if I sounded like I meant business when I yelled out the warnings.She replied: "Honey, you need to work on that.You sounded like Barney Fife." LOL. But the point is to train or practice what to do,who does what,who covers who,and who calls.We practice about once a month. from different areas of the house.Your brain will fall back on what you train for if you're in a high stress situation.If you don't train,the brain has nothing or very little to reach back into and provide you with the motor skills you need to have to function and save your life.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right on target!!! Sounds like you are trained and it went well...wheredya bury the stained jammies? I wouldn't wanta dig there.....

·
Registered
431 Posts
Kansas isn't all that safe any more either.

Molon Lab

Kim

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yep, one room---mine---designated as the "safe room" where everyone falls back to.

Shotgun by the front door. shotgun by the bedroom door. Everyone in the house knows how to use them.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I always keep the P89 in the night stand, along with 2 extra clips, and a LED flashlight. And I make darn sure the wife knows how to use them both. Of course they have to "want" to get past my 90 lbs boxer first. Maude might not actually hurt anybody, but when she's barking to beat the band she sure would make ya think twice.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A good inside dog's better than lights outside...noone wants to lose their ass over a little money!!!! Dogfood's not that expensive....now teach Maude to shoot........

·
Registered
237 Posts
You are right on target!!! Sounds like you are trained and it went well...wheredya bury the stained jammies? I wouldn't wanta dig there.....
To be honest sheepdog,I wasn't wearing any! I was buck naked. That's not a sight anyone would want to see,scrawny old me wielding a shotgun in my birthday suit!!! I'm pretty sure I heard my wife snickering at me sometime during that situation but I won't admit it to myself LOL. I still had to take a shower though!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've had a few tense moments like 3AE. Luckily they ended the same too. Had a whole pile of pots fall off a box we were getting ready for a garage sale. That made a lot of noise in the middle of the night.
The only thing I'd like to comment about is the shotguns in either end of the house. I know you guys have thought of this but for the others who are just getting involved in protecting themselves and their property, make sure any weapon left in another part of the house is not easily accessable to the bad guy. I'd hate to face my own 870 at the other end of the hallway if the BG found it first. I have several guns stashed around the house and they are all hidden but available if I need them.
And like the Deputy says, desiginate a safe room. Somewhere everyone knows to go in the case of emergency, it should also have an escape to the outside in case of fire or the need to evacuate the house.
I was working in a building two nights ago, doing inventory of the premise and prepping to go on the market. It was 7:30 at night, in a building I was just getting familiar with. All's quiet and peaceful and I'm concentrating on the report on the laptop, -- then a toilet flushes up front somewhere. Seems to makes a lot of noise. Now I'm asking myself if I locked the main entrance doors or was there someone else in the building when I showed up. Now I'm creeping through a partially lighted building looking for a gang of crazed bikers, or whatever is in here with me. After a half hour of me clearing the building, I find there is a toilet up front with an automatic valve, you know, the kind that flushes the toilet after you've done your business and stand up to walk away. I guess it decided it needed to flush just to scare the bejeezers outta me. After that, I heard every creak and pop that happened in there, and could have swore I heard footsteps a couple of times. And no I wasn't carrying, can't due to company policy, just my cell phone and metal bar I picked up along the way.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The shakin' and sweatin' come afterwards...them who say they weren't scared lie about their fishin', too...only bad thing 'bout sleepin naked is there ain't but one place to stick your extra ammo.......

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The shakin' and sweatin' come afterwards...them who say they weren't scared lie about their fishin', too...only bad thing 'bout sleepin naked is there ain't but one place to stick your extra ammo.......
Words of wisdom, if I ever heard any.....:D

·
Count Ursunk
3,324 Posts
gut bustin funny!!!!!.....Thelma Lou woulda been proud of Barney.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That place was already occupied converting charcoal into diamonds!!!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I know a lot of people think they are unsafe, but, we have metal bars on all our windows and doors...and they get locked. I also sleep with my .45 beside me, and a 12ga within reach. The wife has her .38 beside her.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd be real sweet to your wife if I were you....yes, dear would be appropriate for a woman with a loaded .38.....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
splinters and mexican food??? charcoal....don't think I wanta know...glad you guys got a plan, anyways....and the way it worked...you guys would've had control...if you didn't shoot 'em they'da died laughin'.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts