Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Boy the news certainly jumped on any connections to republicans. If that was a hillery of bernie supporter, they probably wouldnt have even reported it.

But at any rate, you cant fix stupid. And leaving a loaded firearm in reach of a child is a pretty dum act.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Hopefully if she recovers, she'll have learned a hard lesson. Depending on local laws she may also face criminal charges. Certainly a dumbassery move on her part to leave a firearm within a child's reach. Stories like this make me sick, but thankfully most gun owners are more intelligent & incidents like this shouldn't be considered the norm. Unfortunately incidents like this are what make headlines. Keep your firearms locked up & out of the reach of children unless being closely supervised.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,452 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The question is, why do people leave guns were children can get their hands on them??
This is what I don't get. There were 43 shootings by - toddlers - where they killed or injured themselves or others as of Oct 15 last year, about once a week. What is so difficult about putting your firearms where they can't get to them?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
:mad: Drugs,alcohol,or just plain dumb-a$$

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
My oldest grandson is a very intelligent 41/2 year old and he is about 2-3 years away from learning to shoot a 22 single shot rifle. So why leave a handgun where a child can get it. I taught 3 daughters 3 nieces and countless boy firends to shoot and I was alwasys carful with guns even when dealing with 20 year olds.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Parents just aren't a big enough pat of their children' lives now. They're too busy with this and that or caught up in whatever the latest drama or trend. Add in that parents are so blinded by thinking their little cherub is the sparkle of perfection and could never ever do anything unsparkley. LoL (that's for the yuppy, false, mask wearing parents) well, sorry mommy and daddy but little Susie and little Johnny are kids and just as adults are nosey, kids will be curious. They don't understand consequences since that's not taught or instilled now. Start instilling that there's repercussions and consequences for your actions, good and bad, and perhaps things can turn around.
On the other hand, this needs to be understood and followed through by the adults allowing access to these firearms as well.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
They are considering pressing charges...and I think they should. You cannot leave an unsecured firearm in the reach of a minor without direct adult supervision, it is a clearly written law (and pretty much commonsense to boot).

Also, the article states that the kid found the gun under the seat...if it was not in a holster or container, that is against the law too.

Fortunately she survived the interaction...maybe she will be a big enough person and stand up and admit how her stupidity caused this.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
They are considering pressing charges...and I think they should. You cannot leave an unsecured firearm in the reach of a minor without direct adult supervision, it is a clearly written law (and pretty much commonsense to boot).

Also, the article states that the kid found the gun under the seat...if it was not in a holster or container, that is against the law too.

Fortunately she survived the interaction...maybe she will be a big enough person and stand up and admit how her stupidity caused this.

Darn right they should! If they're supposedly responsible enough to be the pro-gun person they identify as, they DARN well gotta accept the consequences!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Planeguy said:
This kind of thing just has to stop.
That sounds like some type of liberal. :rolleyes:

With the number of adults new to guns, there will be "accidents" that should not have
happened. In this case, the person causing the problem has incentive to do a better
job of what should have been done to start with.

As far as "hurting" anything to do with the 2nd Amendment, that closely resembles
horse feathers. Will some loonie-tooner anti attempt to make it an issue? Possibly,
but that is where others, WITH PROPER KNOWLEDGE can . . calmly . . explain
why it was an anomaly, and has/had nothing to do with gun ownership in general.

A simple example of how many gun deaths occur in "gun free zones" should suffice. :D

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
Parents just aren't a big enough pat of their children' lives now. They're too busy with this and that or caught up in whatever the latest drama or trend. Add in that parents are so blinded by thinking their little cherub is the sparkle of perfection and could never ever do anything unsparkley. LoL (that's for the yuppy, false, mask wearing parents) well, sorry mommy and daddy but little Susie and little Johnny are kids and just as adults are nosey, kids will be curious. They don't understand consequences since that's not taught or instilled now. Start instilling that there's repercussions and consequences for your actions, good and bad, and perhaps things can turn around.
On the other hand, this needs to be understood and followed through by the adults allowing access to these firearms as well.
combine stupid with the inability or thought power to be a parent, stupidity, laziness, lack of care, stupidity, cant be bothered about where the kid is, I'm busy, stupidity and ignorance. Did I say stupidity?

We have a different kind of problem here but its the same kind of parenting, NONE. We have kids drowning in swimming pools, but now we have kids dying in BATHTUBS! Mom left a kid in the tub with the water running, drain open, came back after just a few SECONDS (ACTUALLY ABOUT 10 MINUTES), DRAIN WAS STOPPED, WATER FLOWING OUT OF THE TUB AND THE BABY PARTIALLY FLOATING IN THE TUB/PARTIALLY NOT FLOATING.

I wonder when somebody's gonna call to ban bathtubs and pools?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've had access to loaded firearms since I was 3 or 4 years old. And I've yet to "accidentally" shoot someone. The grave responsibility of a firearm was burned into my brain by my father. Killing-even when necessary-is not to be taken lightly. All too many these days have a callous disregard for each other and should not possess weapons. I'm sure that will not fly well with many here but nonetheless it's truth. Guns are not for everyone and I for one am tired of being made to look like a fool by some anal portal with a gun.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
I've had access to loaded firearms since I was 3 or 4 years old. And I've yet to "accidentally" shoot someone. The grave responsibility of a firearm was burned into my brain by my father. Killing-even when necessary-is not to be taken lightly. All too many these days have a callous disregard for each other and should not possess weapons. I'm sure that will not fly well with many here but nonetheless it's truth. Guns are not for everyone and I for one am tired of being made to look like a fool by some anal portal with a gun.
totally agree. The government and key politicians have gotten a lot of unknowing citizens worked up over losing their 2A rights, so theyre buying guns just to have them. They don't understand any of the responsibilities. But fear is pushing them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Northeast Florida media covered a number local gun crimes this week and when this child shoots mom piece emerged,I just knew the story would go national. Perhaps as well it should. Laws in place regards firearms within reach of a minor.

Firearms ownership,posession and use requires the utmost in care,education,awareness, positive mental and home environment,citizenship.

Perhaps we are in the throes of a regressive society,the inevitable increase in less than ideal gun possession rates.

·
Count Ursunk
3,359 Posts
That's about like leaving a child in a vehicle with the motor running in neutral and hands taped to the gear selector. R or D does not consider who's at the wheel.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
any suggestions
Yes.
Teach all kids at the earliest possible age safe gun handling. :)

And don't store loaded guns where the youngest can get hold of them. :confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts