Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it is not a Ruger! Now you guys know I am a Ruger man. Always have been. But, dang it, that new AR I bought is the funnest, most accurate semi-auto I have ever owned. It makes my Mini look sick. A young man at work and I swapped barrels yesterday. My standard barrel for his bull barrel. He wanted a battle rifle, I wanted a varmint rig. Sighted it in yesterday, along with my Mini. No matter what bullet weight I shot through her, she was dead on. Shot 50,55, and 68 grain bullets. The Mini is sighted in for 55s. Shot the 68s a foot high, and the 50s 6 inchs low! And by the 15th round it was too hot to hit anything anyway. THe AR I just kept shooting and shooting and shooting with no POI change. I have defended the Mini for years, but no more. I have owned 3 or 4 of them. The one I now own is a 580 series that supposed to be more accurate. Well, I give up on it being accurate. But, I haven't given up entirely on it. Just ordered a folding stock for it. Think I will do to the Mini what the young man I traded barrels with did to his AR, turn it into a CQB rifle. What got me wanting an AR was the other day I missed a shot at a standing groundhog at 100 yards. I was prone and with a sling, and clean missed it with the MIni. I could have hit that hog with any other gun I owned, including my 10/22 with a little KY windage. I wont have to worry about missing with my AR, I do believe. Here is a picture of it with the new barrel:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Neat-and I know which one you'd grab if the SHTF-reliability and accuracy are all that matter then---the Mini might be a good truck gun....shame, though, the idea was great....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Nice gunman,
Yea those Bushmasters are hard to beat and the others out there are good also Rock River DMPS( I get that one wrong everytime).
Your so right sheepdog, Ruger seems to keep missing the boat. No idea why.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Very nice. Stay away from Brownell's catalog or you may loose a paycheck quickly. So many add-ons and upgrades available for the AR platform a man can wind up in the hole in a hurry!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Great fun they are. Glad your enjoying it!

I think the only mini I would consider is the new Target model.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hmmmm, I carried an AR for over 22 years...and they do the job ok. Now when it comes to favorite rifles, well, have my own "non-Ruger" nomination:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by David the Gnome

gunman42782, where do you shoot at? I'm from KY too. [8D]

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only guy at the range not shooting an AR.
Well, I sometimes shoot on my father in laws property down the road, and sometimes I shoot just behind my house a bit. But, when I really want to cut loose, there is this place called Bakers Branch I go to that is the county "secret" that everybody goes to to shoot. Free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts