Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background: this is from my niece's husband ,Joe. He originally was an LEO in North Haven, retired from there and went to Meridan, Ct.. He was seriously injured several years ago when a drunk women jump a curb with her vehicle and struck his as he was in his vehicle on break in a parking lot. It took several years before he got back to a "normal " life while still serving as an LEO. His wife Christine, is one of my God Children.

I had a very long rewarding career in law enforcement. I have no regrets and I truly believe I was able to help a lot of people from all walks of life over my 33 yrs serving my community. Unfortunately in today's political climate, the war on police and with the recent anti police legislation passed by the State of Connecticut today I no longer feel I can take the risk now required by law to be a police officer in the State of Connecticut. The risk of frivolous law suits, and new legislation which in my opinion puts police officers lives and personal freedoms in serious jeopardy has forced me to reconsider my future. The mob demanded change in Connecticut and the politicians felt the pressure so they quickly passed legislation which in my opinion will cause many good police officers to reconsider their career choice and make recruitment of any good candidates almost impossible. So in their hurry to bow down to the mob the legislators as I predicted have created a new problem which will only complicated matters when it comes to policing in all of our communities. This new law only continues to divide people, make our communities less safe and emboldened criminals. Over time I believe this will become quite obvious to people. The police are being blamed for all of society's problems when in fact it's our politicians and leaders who have failed us. The problems facing minority communities have been created by bad politicians passing bad legislation over many years. These policies have created a permanent under class with multiple generations of families dependent on welfare. Bad policies are responsible for the destruction of the nuclear family in minority communities. These problems will never go away until the real causes are addressed. If minority groups want real change for the next generation then we must address our failing school systems, poverty, substance abuse, gang violence, domestic abuse, corrupt welfare system, the lack of fathers in the home, lack of good role models, lack of self respect, lack of respect for the law, authority and personal responsibility. These are all the things I deal with everyday as a police officer. They are the real causes of racial inequality in this country but none wants to address these difficult problems because it's how politicians get elected in this country. Finally the lack of God in our lives. We need to start teaching our children self respect, respect for the law and how to be respectful to the police and authority when being addressed. Many confrontations with the police today that lead to bad outcomes usually are the result of people being purposely belligerent refusing and failing to follow lawful orders. Over the years my family has taken on a lot of burden due to my chosen career and with this new legislation today I can not in good conscience ask them to support me in this profession any longer. I want to thank everyone who has supported and mentored me over the last 33 years. I will be spending the next several months looking for a new career path at which time I will say goodbye to a profession I truly loved. I will be fine because I'm still lucky to have my wife and biggest supporter of 32 yrs still at my side.
Deacon Bob

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I understand your decision and fear that many good officers will come to the same conclusion. I agree that the real problem in our society in America right now is a lack or personal responsibility. I especially second the statement that removing God from the equation has been a monumental mistake. Without an absolute truth to fall back on, people create and push whatever beliefs make themselves feel good or benefit themselves. Until people learn to respect each other AND authority (Romans 13:1), we will have chaos, and it is trending towards getting worse.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,627 Posts
I respect your view and wish you nothing but the best in what ever is in your future. Thanks for your service and answering the call of duty. I have several LE friends that are choosing another path because of the environment we now live in. God Speed Deacon Bob!

·
Registered
358 Posts
For a long time now, I've had the belief that law enforcement should protest these sort of hostile working conditions they're subjected to. All law enforcement in the affected area should simultaneously walk off the force, and inform the public that they're now on their own, and wish them the best of luck if they have to deal with rapists, murderers, and child molesters, because there's not going to be anyone to call, anyone to take reports, or anyone to make the arrests. Along with telling the public to be sure and thank their elected officials for siding with violent criminals, rather than the law abiding public.

It would certainly be the dark ages for a while, but no law enforcement on duty means there would be no legal repercussions if the angry public were to, hypothetically, act like the rioters and burn down the homes of elected officials for the part they played in things getting to that point.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Apparently our politicians in Ct. cannot see the obvious consequences of this new legislation or don't care. We're going to loose a lot of good cops like Joe when we need them most. This is just a knee jerk reaction to a non existent problem to gain votes on election day. My wife and I have lived in Ct. for over 60 years and are planning to relocate because we don't like the direction this state has been going in for quite a while. BTW, my wife's father was with the Ct state police over 30 years. I hope when Joe gets over the initial shock of this insult to all LE officers the state he reconsiders quitting, we never needed him more. If not, good luck to him.

·
Registered
539 Posts
For a long time now, I've had the belief that law enforcement should protest these sort of hostile working conditions they're subjected to. All law enforcement in the affected area should simultaneously walk off the force, and inform the public that they're now on their own, and wish them the best of luck if they have to deal with rapists, murderers, and child molesters, because there's not going to be anyone to call, anyone to take reports, or anyone to make the arrests. Along with telling the public to be sure and thank their elected officials for siding with violent criminals, rather than the law abiding public.

It would certainly be the dark ages for a while, but no law enforcement on duty means there would be no legal repercussions if the angry public were to, hypothetically, act like the rioters and burn down the homes of elected officials for the part they played in things getting to that point.
There may be a "blue flu" but LE isn't going to walk off the job in mass. The ones who should be protesting in support of the police are the people of Connecticut.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very succinctly summed up the situation as I too see it. Thanks for your service and best of luck on your new endever(s).

FWIW,

Paul

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There may be a "blue flu" but LE isn't going to walk off the job in mass. The ones who should be protesting in support of the police are the people of Connecticut.
I agree but we seem to be the "silent majority" again. In my parish alone we have more than 6 LEO's, mostly State Troopers,my middle son's good friend just retired from that organization,someone I've literally know from birth. Our local news carried a report from Meriden, that 1/3 of the force is planing on leaving in the next year.
Out "elected officials" are totally tone death and between Hartford, New haven, & Bridgeport they are able to swing all the votes they need to continue to stay in power.

Deacon Bob

·
Super Moderator
21,246 Posts
What we are seeing right now is a perfect storm created by democrats. One bad cop killed a career criminal and now there is a movement to defund police, create liability issues so that every murderer that gets into a shootout with police will guarantee himself or his survivors a lawsuit and then using Covid as an excuse to release criminals out onto the street. In deep blue states like CT gun laws have been passed that restrict a citizens right to possess and carry a firearm for personal protection. To me it is all part of a deep state plan funded by billionaires looking to take control of the people in a similar manner as Nazi Germany. If this election doesn't result in a huge dump of these moron politicians then I suspect the violence you see now will look like child's play.

·
Registered
358 Posts
What we are seeing right now is a perfect storm created by democrats. One bad cop killed a career criminal and now there is a movement to defund police, create liability issues so that every murderer that gets into a shootout with police will guarantee himself or his survivors a lawsuit and then using Covid as an excuse to release criminals out onto the street. In deep blue states like CT gun laws have been passed that restrict a citizens right to possess and carry a firearm for personal protection. To me it is all part of a deep state plan funded by billionaires looking to take control of the people in a similar manner as Nazi Germany. If this election doesn't result in a huge dump of these moron politicians then I suspect the violence you see now will look like child's play.
It's also a perfect storm for the angry public to dispense with the notion of being law abiding, and carry firearms in an illegal manner for the express purpose of using them in the event of a violent confrontation with scum of the earth. Criminals have all the rights, so one might as well become a criminal in response.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's a shame that the left has declared war on all LE... Feds down to small towns. So who exactly do they plan on using to go house to house to confiscate weapons, should they ever get power back and pass more unconstitutional laws?

I remember liberals wishing the feds would just slaughter all the protestors at the Bundy standoff. They think LE and every public servant is a toy to them. I feel bad for all those in LE today. One thing they better realize at this point is who their friends and supporters really are. Us.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I also thank you for your years of service and for your very thoughtful and sadly so true detailed description of what you know from personal experience is happening all over our formerly great country.

Off topic, but I will add that we have had several conversations with our family doctor, and excellent, dedicated doctors and nurses are also quitting in droves due to overwhelming government regulations and restrictions on how they are allowed to care for their patients.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,662 Posts
I agree 100% with the Deacon. Thank you for your years of service to your community. Best wishes for your future endeavors.

·
Count Ursunk
3,264 Posts
Thank you for years of service and sacrifice for others. When a few thugs display a total disrespect of LEO's, it doesn't take long for the rest of the pack to follow suit. Even more so, when the greedy politicians side with the anti-police cowards. There are a few bad cops in every city in our nation. But the vast majority are dedicated to upholding the law that keeps the people safe and protected from the one's who feel the laws don't apply to them. Example, my wife works with a lady at her job. This lady and her husband went to a gun show this past weekend. When leaving the gun show, a bullet came through the rear glass and grazed his arm and went through the dash, as he was driving on the by-pass heading home. Two vehicles had rifles sticking out the window firing at each other, with no concern for others on the road. No matter what color a person is, law matters. If you don't understand the law, learn it. If you understand the law, and choose to not abide by it, you are in the wrong place. You then will need to accept the penalty for your disregard for the law. Most of the time it works pretty good when the red tape is done away with. Again, thank you, and God guide you in your future plans.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
I know that firefighters and police officers have a long standing rivalery, but thats just in fun. I support the guys and gals of blue. Alot of tines they do their job which allows us to do our job. I have alot of friends that are leo, and support them, as they support us.

I find it appauling whats going on in the political world. I thank you OP for your service, may you lay the burden to the younger crowd who i hope weathers the storm. Given the circumstances i would do the same. If i make it 13 more years im gonna hang up the fire helmet and turnout boots myself. Our occupation has becone more dangerous as well, cheaper built houses that are tinder boxes, the increasing amount of overdoses we go too, and the denial of equipment, and man power we desperately need, which never comes. I totally understand. Thats another reason i would never move north, or visit for that matter. If i cant carry, i don't go.

In a word of good news i read that the LEO's that were contracted to provide security for the democrat national convention have said they will not do it, and to go pound sand democrats. Give them what they deserve biden and his chronys.

OP i wish you all the best, and thank you for the service you upheld for mamy, many, years.

·
Exchequer
4,493 Posts
From my perspective, we can't hire people to enforce our laws and then tie their hands. Cops cannot be expected to act as social workers, baby sitters, mental health workers, grief counselors, and teachers of parental responsibility AND keep bad people from doing bad things all at the same time.

I'm way past the age where I could go through the academy and work as a LEO. But even if I were young enough to do so, there's no way you could pay me enough to do that job in today's twisted political / social environment.

·
Super Moderator
21,246 Posts
With what I am seeing from antifa and BLM I think we are beyond the need for social workers and the time has come for the butt kickers. Time to stand in their way and they start screaming then give them something to holler about.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's also a perfect storm for the angry public to dispense with the notion of being law abiding, and carry firearms in an illegal manner for the express purpose of using them in the event of a violent confrontation with scum of the earth. Criminals have all the rights, so one might as well become a criminal in response.
"carry guns in an illegal manner" and "might as well become a criminal" will likely put you in a confrontation with the cops you and I support. Carry legally to defend yourself and not to put yourself in harms way is my plan. I'm way too old to go to jail or spent my retirement savings on lawyers. I do share your frustration with the insanity going on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The writer, Joe, certainly described a bleak future for law enforcement officers, at least in CT. I live in PA, and I did not know anything about the CT law that apparently is contrary to the interests of police. Accordingly, I looked for an explanation of the law. I found a good description of the provisions.

The first thing I learned is that as of today it is a Bill not a Law. It has been passed by the legislative bodies, but it is not yet signed by the Governor. I suspect the signature is just a matter of timing. You can read the article here.

Candidly, I do not think most of the provisions of the bill are unreasonable. The only provision I find unacceptable is the elimination of “qualified immunity.” That does leave LEOs personally exposed to damages for their alleged wrongful actions. It does not seem to provide for any indemnification of the officer by government. That is dead wrong. In an age when thousands of lawyers are more than happy to take on any rainbow case that could have a pot of gold at the end.

There is one thing that the article does not point out. That is the likelihood of a Constitutional challenge to the law. SCOTUS recently refused to hear a case which sought to overturn “qualified immunity,” which is an legal precedent created by prior SCOTUS decision. Today’s SCOTUS refused to even look at reconsidering that president.

The bill provides that the law (if enacted) will come into force on July 2021. That gives the LEO community and its unions time to take action to have the portion of the law changed or struck down. Quitting the Force now makes little sense to me. Focusing opposition to the “qualified immunity” provision over the next year makes absolute sense to me.

As for the other provisions of the Bill, opposing them would detract from an effort to eliminate the “quailed provision. Focusing on items that most voters are likely to see as reasonable is futile. Politics is the art of the possible, and it is possible to win a contest to eliminate the attack on “qualified immunity,” or to add provisions to the law that would provide indemnification against the expense of defending a lawsuit.

We all know that the vast majority of LEOs are good people who doe their jobs responsibly. We also know that there are bad apples in any barrel, not just the LE barrel. You cannot weed out the bad apples by exposing all the good apples to harm. We need the good apples. We need our good LEOs. To protect them a means of weeding out the bad ones is the best answer. The other provisions of the Bill seem to reach in that direction.

As for Joe’s missive, I see it an very understandable rant brought in by being dumped on after decade of good service. However that rant will not change anything. Yes, it will make some people angry, but that will also not result in change. The only way to change such things is to get public opinion on one’s side or mount a legal challenge.

I hope Joe changes his mind and directs his strong feelings into energy in an effort to amend the law.

In case the previous link did not take the article I referenced is at:
Connecticut lawmakers passed a comprehensive police accountability bill. Here’s 9 ways it will change policing in the state.

Reactions: Corndog and Mark204
1 - 20 of 27 Posts