Ruger Forum banner

This is why I don't care to go to Australia

2K views 24 replies 25 participants last post by  Anchorsaweigh 
#1 ·
#14 ·
While recreational diving in the Caribbean I had a dive buddy bail on me when three Caribbean Reef Sharks swam towards us. I saw them first, pointed them out to him, then began taking pictures. They passed by me about twenty feet away, and I turned to my buddy. He was nowhere to be found. I did a quick 360-degree search, then ascended. My buddy was in the boat. My first thought was he had some kind of problem and I asked him if he was okay. He apologized for leaving me without letting me know, saying that when he saw the sharks he panicked. Since we were 50+ feet down at the time, I had to ask if he did a proper ascent. He told me he did. As a precaution though, I grounded him and left him with the boat crew, telling them what happened and asking them to monitor him. I then began a second dive.

#18 ·
That is the remnants of a large mako shark. I would estimate the weight before the attack at 600 -900 pounds. It had to be a killer whale or large great white doing the attacking. Even large fish become prey when hooked. Since a mako shark is one of the fastest fish in the ocean, I would guess a killer whale did this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.