Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My older brother and I grew up on a farm in Central Kansas. We used Allis Chalmers and Caterpillar tractors. He asked me to take a little trip with him to Hutchinson, Minnesota this week. We leave Friday and will return next Monday. There is a big Allis Chalmers show called Orange Spectacular on a farm there this weekend. They have the world's largest collection of antique Allis Chalmers tractors as well as the newest Agco models. It always draws in several hundred tractors and other farm machinery and a crowd of over 5,000 people. I've really been looking forward to it until I found that 2 of the 3 states we'll be in do not recognize my Kansas CCW. We have to travel through Missouri (which does accept my license) and Iowa and Minnesota. Neither one of these recognize my Kansas CCW. We could by-pass Iowa and go through Nebraska, but they don't recognize my license either. If I wouldn't have already committed to going, I would stay home. I hate to spend any money in any state that thinks they are better than mine! I guess I should be thankful I'm not traveling to New York.:(

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Look on the bright side. You get to see lots of farm implements up close. Smell that diesel and eat corn dogs! Just have your ccw weapon in the car with you and don't get out when in those two states.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nebraska allows open carry in vehicle of loaded handguns...must be in plain sight....when you stop, lock it in the trunk....Iowa has no loaded carry...locked in trunk only...Minnesota is the same...you're like me, I travel and spend my dollars where my permit is welcome..you'd think they'd figure it out....

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I run into the same problem when I went out West last year. This was before Kansas passed their CCW, and I bypassed the entire state because of it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Went all the way to CA and back last month. Kept my weapon with me and always available while driving. I know some will say taking a risk but I would rather do so and have personal protection than risk being unarmed. Of course I did not carry on my person while in CA but had it close by most of the time. That commie state would confiscate my firearm and throw me under the jail. I would expect most other states to be somewhat understanding of tourists traveling through their state. Maybe I'm way wrong, but I don't expect to be stopped as long as I'm being a good boy, and won't give PC or permission for a search.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If you're way wrong, you won't look long for someone to drink coffee with...pass the pot, please....

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I to have fond(?) memories of those Allis Chalmers tractors. When I was small, my Grandfather & my Dad both farmed with WD45's. as I gre older, Grandad stayed with the Big Orange in the form of a D17, a D19 & he & Dad both bought new D-21's at the same time. after that, it was a vast assortment of John Deers on our farm. My dad is retired now & restores old tractors. I help him from time to time & have often wondered how something as small as a WD could have seemed so big to me. I guess it was because I was about 5 years old or so when I started rakeing hay on one of them. Have a good trip, rman. I'm sure you & your brother will re-kindle memories of your youth. Like Mom asking my Dad "What the Hell is that little boy doing on that tractor?" & Dad saying "Well, somebody needs to rake that hay & I'm busy doing other things!":)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Deputy, she was a bit of a goose, wouldn't you say?!!! Guys like us have gone armed without benefit of legal right enough to not go into a place where security is stringent...and wouldn't likely be discovered unless we wanted to be...in which case arrest would be the lesser of the two evils...that article proves there are "casual" permit holders as well as purposeful ones...not saying it's "right" to carry where permit doesn't cover or without permit at all, but often it's necessary and appropriate...and worth the risk...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have a rule and its simple they won't accept my license then they won't have to worry about accepting my money simple as that. I too have had to carry in my vechile when in an unfriendly state. Would I do it again no not really. Just too easy for the police to pull ya over, especially being from Texas with Texas tags they will have it in their minds that this is an easy felony arrest. As we all or most all carry guns of some sort, and they are right as I am not attemping to break any laws except the weapons law.
Bottom line the police can't give 24 hour 7 day a week protection so I have to do it myself. And I am glad to do it myself, if it were me I would just explain my reason to my brother and let it go at that.
Because knowing me the whole trip would leave a bad taste in my mouth and it would for me spoil the trip. I know the police in those states have a job to do and of course I like everyone do expect them to do their job and do it well. I just don't want to be that part of their job- meaning me being arrested for break one or more of their state laws.
I can live with that and they can live in their state with their rules, come to Texas and now your in my back yard and of course our rules.
I never miss a chance to enform those from unfriendly states toward my CCW how I dislike their state and their state laws. But inform them also that they are safe here as alot of have the license to carry and we are more than glad to have them spend their hard earned money here.
A few years back think it was on 20/20 a traveling salesman and his wife and son were attacked and the son put a fight and was killed and soon after the wife passed away from just sure grief. A very sad story all together. The man still travels and still stays in motel's but he has a gunwith him now. Little comfort to a man that has lost his family to the gun laws of some states. He obeyed the law and look what it got him.
No sir not for all the tea in china would I ever take the chance of loosing my life or the life of my loved ones over their anti - CCw laws.
I can't say I know what that man is going through but I have lost out on divorces 2 times in my life so I know what its is to live withoput family with you. Now I am not saying that I didn't do my fair share to wreck the marrages. I can live with that but to have my son killed over a few dollars and then have to sit by and watcha loved wife of many years waste away because of the loss of a child, by thugs.
Nothing will ever bring that mans family back, no money no I am sorries nothing that man lives everyday in hell. Where was the police then? of course they can't be every where but in his mind I bet he has that same thought from time to time.
I am sure the police that took the report and did the investigation felt bad too, I know they have feeling how can they not. Not meaning to dog on either side of the line just what works form me.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Been a while, but back when Texas 1st got ccw, there was all sorts of media hype about "blood in the streets" and shoot-outs right and left. I can relate two specific stories about such.

Some businesses back when were very paranoid as they bought into the media hysteria about ccw dangers and they began to put up signs. One farmer i know did have a ccw and was the type that carried daily as he had a friend's daughter get raped, robbed, murdered in a Church while a receptionist during the day by a traveling bum. Anyway, he went to the same gas station that he does business with and one day there was a sign up that prohibited ccw. He rightly got upset and left. He called the owner and told him he was canceling his business with them(fuel deliveries to the farm$$$$)because of the sign and told them that the sign amounted to he was no longer welcomed there so he was not going to spend anymore money with them----signs prohibiting carry came down the same day.

Around this time another sign was up at a resturant prohibiting ccw. A feller took a different approach with them. He talked to the owner and told him that he really was happy and appreciated the fact that the place was assuming full responsibility and LIABILITY FOR HIS SAFETY. He told them that since he could not carry ccw in there and they forbid it then they would be open to a lawsuit if anything happened to him because they prohibited his ability to protect himself---signs came down.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yep I can see that happening, and that is what really needs to happen more and more if my ccw isn't welcome then my money isn't either.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Same thing happened at our local elecronic store deputy125. The guy that own's the store let the local police chief put up the sign. When a few of my buddies stood outside the door one day, & wouldn't go in, the guy came out & asked them to come on in. They replied that they couldn't, because of the sign. It took him a few day's, but the sign came down. :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Wally World went the sign route some places, but they came down...probably the liability, but who cares...they came down...I went to the trougle with Taco Cabana to contact corporate...not a bit of give...same with Haverty's.....little guys will cave in to keep customers but big chains are more lawyer-driven...my money does not get spent at a place that has signs up...and I tell them so...some businesses have nationwide policies against carrying in the store but no signs up in Tx....kind of a don't ask-don't tell...and concealed means concealed so we're all happy....until a gun with a man attached goes in and screws it all up...some guys just have to make a point and show it off or brag...I'd much rather have the element of surprise...took a gun off a punk awhile back after he had an AD in a restaurant---held him for police...he and his buds never knew I had a gun...discretion is the better point of valor, I've always heard...if I ever had a retail store, the coffee pot'd be out for CCW customers and a hearty thanks to them for doing their part to keep America safe!!!!!! Nobody wants a hard man around till trouble shows up...then they all cry "Why doesn't somebody DO something!" Well, guys, I'm honored to know this bunch of SOMEBODIES who WILL!!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I hear ya about low-profile. When i go out off-duty to the big city, I dress to conceal. Don't want to be the first spotted/first taken out should something happens. I will reveal my presence/gun on my terms and not the bad guy's.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quote:Originally posted by kansas45

I to have fond(?) memories of those Allis Chalmers tractors. When I was small, my Grandfather & my Dad both farmed with WD45's. as I gre older, Grandad stayed with the Big Orange in the form of a D17, a D19 & he & Dad both bought new D-21's at the same time. after that, it was a vast assortment of John Deers on our farm. My dad is retired now & restores old tractors. I help him from time to time & have often wondered how something as small as a WD could have seemed so big to me. I guess it was because I was about 5 years old or so when I started rakeing hay on one of them. Have a good trip, rman. I'm sure you & your brother will re-kindle memories of your youth. Like Mom asking my Dad "What the Hell is that little boy doing on that tractor?" & Dad saying "Well, somebody needs to rake that hay & I'm busy doing other things!":)
Dang - you were lucky!:D:D We never had anything as new as a WD45. I cut my teeth on a 1936 WC - hand brakes, hand throttle and an old iron seat. We later got a little C that I cultivated corn and milo with. The newest thing we had was a 1949 WD that dad traded the WC for. It was nice to have an electric starter and lights. I thought we had hit the big time. We also had a little D2 Caterpillar. It was a dirty thing to run, but it was kind of fun. I used to haul wheat to the grain elevator in town in a 1-1/2 ton grain truck when I was 12. I didn't even have a learner's permit. The LEOs didn't worry about it because they knew our dad's needed the help. I could barely see over the dash board.

Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip - we had a death in my wife's family. Maybe next year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts