Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ooooh, this makes me so angry!!

I was decapping a bunch of 308 brass with my brand new RCBS Universal Decapping die and the damn thing broke..Ooooooh!

It wasn't even a Berdan primed round,,,,

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,222 Posts
Been there ... done that, a couple times. When you replace the punch, loosen the lock ring and center the punch perfectly. I found out that's why mine broke. The punch wasn't centered so it would hit the base instead of the primer. 99% of the time, it would "find" it's way to the primer and work fine. Once in a while, it would hang up and if I put a little extra pressure on the handle ... snap.

·
Registered
540 Posts
This reminded me of a question I had ... I bought a case of Winchester 5.56 for the AR-15 last summer, and have been saving the brass. The primers appear to have a military crimp. Does decapping crimped in primers cause any problems? Is there a type of die that's better than others for this? I don't have the RL550B set up for any rifle cartridges yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
:D+1 on the Lee decapping die. When I bought mine I got 2 xtra pins just in case. Well they are still collecting dust.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Call RCBS service dept. They'll replace your busted decapping pin without charge. Then do as Iowegan says.

Joe

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
For years I've punched crimped primers out of military 45 and 38 cases with the RCBS dies no problem. Make sure the pin is centered and is extended just enough to do the job without being too long, and with properly adjusted dies it works just fine. You need to open up the primer pocket with a crimp remover tool before re-priming and the primer pocket is usually pretty dirty so it needs a good cleaning.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info folks.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just called RCBS and they are sending me a new pin by mail. Very nice folks to deal with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.