Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been working on this Mark IV target for about 5 months now. Started out of the box just putting round down range to break it in. She now has about 2000 rounds and trigger still is awful and the bolt release sticks like crazy. Even though the trigger pull is really crappy I shoot this pistol extremely well. In practicing rapid fire on steel targets my eyes do not see the black sights too well so the most recent addition was the Burris Fastfire 3 red dot. Mounted it today and will give her a run tomorrow. Hopefully the new Volquartsen target trigger kit will be here before I head to the range and she will be the near perfect gun. If anyone has any insight on the bolt release let me know, I cannot get it to release with an unloaded mag in the gun. With a loaded mag charging the bolt loads but the release sticks. Even with the minor issues I really love the way this gun shoots and fits my hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Nice looking set up. You will like it even more after the Volquartsen Kit it should get the trigger pull down to around 2lbs and should eliminate the gritty feeling.

Technically it is a bolt release. To get it to release the bolt with an empty mag it helps to pull the bolt back slightly push down on the bolt release and the bolt should go forward ok. I have the MK IV 22/45 target and on mine I took the bolt stop out and polished the end where it contacts the bolt with some 600 grit paper after that I could push the bolt release down easily with a loaded mag in place.

The red dot sight will defiantly help hitting your target. If you have not used a red dot before there is a little learning curve to finding the dot and your target.

I put a Bushnell TRS 25 on mine and it works well for me. I also put a set of Hogue wraparound grips on mine feels a little better than the stock grips.

Let us know how you end up with yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Been working on this Mark IV target for about 5 months now. Started out of the box just putting round down range to break it in. She now has about 2000 rounds and trigger still is awful and the bolt release sticks like crazy. Even though the trigger pull is really crappy I shoot this pistol extremely well. In practicing rapid fire on steel targets my eyes do not see the black sights too well so the most recent addition was the Burris Fastfire 3 red dot. Mounted it today and will give her a run tomorrow. Hopefully the new Volquartsen target trigger kit will be here before I head to the range and she will be the near perfect gun. If anyone has any insight on the bolt release let me know, I cannot get it to release with an unloaded mag in the gun. With a loaded mag charging the bolt loads but the release sticks. Even with the minor issues I really love the way this gun shoots and fits my hands.
Put a Vortex Venon optic on yours and it would be a twin to mine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's not really a bolt release. The best way to get the bolt down is to slingshot it. (Pull the bolt back and with a loaded magazine, just let it go and you will load the pistol.

According to Ruger the bolt lock is not designed to be a bolt release. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts