Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when I was backing out the car, my car acted like it hit something in the driveway. The front tires kinda pulled to the right. After backing out, I didn't see anything (flat cat, or other animal) and just brushed it off and went to work. Well, yesterday one of our cats got outside (we don't let out cats out) and we didn't realize he was gone until this afternoon when the wife called. After work, I went looking for him, and I found him hiding in a small pile of wood near the house. When I picked him up, I noticed his tail was shredded down to the bone. It was pretty sickening. I took him to the animal hospital, and they did xrays on him, nothing is broke, but so much skin in torn from his tail, he might lose it. They are going to try to sew it up but it might not take and his tail could die. A little while ago I looked to where my car was when I thought I hit something, and found a large clump of his hair. So this morning when I thought I hit something, it was me running over his tail. I feel so bad, but also very glad it was only his tail. We will know tomorrow if they think they can save the tail.
Heres a pic of him:

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Hope your cat does ok. I saw a bobtail squirrel run across the street in front of me a couple of days ago, and I wondered what happened to his tail.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder how this has affected his tree jumping balance. I would guess he falls out of trees a lot now.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Cats can adjust to about anything. I had a three legged cat when I was a kid that could climb trees faster than any of the others. They could out run him on the ground but not in the trees.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
My mom cranked up her car when I was a kid (a loooooong time ago) and cut the tail right off of one of our cats that crawled up in the engine to sleep. It lived many years after that. Your cat should be all right.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

I have had real bad luck with our cats that were "Outdoor Cats" instead of indoor cats. I had one that I ran over completelty [xx(] and another that on a cold night got up inside the motor and layed where the fan got him [xx(] when I started that big dodge up.

We've had others that used to love waiting until the last minute to run across the road infront of cars... I think they believed that the car was doing the speed limit [xx(][xx(]

Your cat is lucky, no fault of your own... you didn't know.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cat...hope he does OK.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just heard from the surgeon, they are going to remove his tail. I guess it will heal faster too than having 200+ stitches.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's been 24 hours since hes back home. He seems to be recovering well. He's sleeping a lot and just taking it easy. Poor guy.
Thanks for all your support guys.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Glad to hear the cat is doing okay. Cats are survivors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts