Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This early S&W 586-1 was my friend's first quality handgun. It was his everything gun. It served for home defense, range toy, hunting sidearm...you name it. It rode many miles on his right hip, and it shows it. As his collection grew he just retired it to the safe. The finish is worn and has some pitting, the grips are beat up, and I know it's fired many thousands of rounds. It has the M stamp from the upgrade S&W did to the first L Frame revolvers. I am torn between leaving it as is or sending it back to S&W to be re-blued and gone through. As a tribute to my departed friend I think I would enjoy shooting this fine old .357 that holds so many memories. What do you guys think?
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun
Revolver Gun accessory Metal Tool Personal protective equipment
Automotive exhaust Muffler Exhaust system Cylinder Nickel
Office supplies Tool Bicycle part Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
This early S&W 586-1 was my friend's first quality handgun. It was his everything gun. It served for home defense, range toy, hunting sidearm...you name it. It rode many miles on his right hip, and it shows it. As his collection grew he just retired it to the safe. The finish is worn and has some pitting, the grips are beat up, and I know it's fired many thousands of rounds. It has the M stamp from the upgrade S&W did to the first L Frame revolvers. I am torn between leaving it as is or sending it back to S&W to be re-blued and gone through. As a tribute to my departed friend I think I would enjoy shooting this fine old .357 that holds so many memories. What do you guys think? View attachment 181042 View attachment 181043 View attachment 181044 View attachment 181045 View attachment 181046
This concept has actually been on my mind of late. Old guns are in fact similiar to old friends. At least to me. I think, depending on what your departed friend would likely do, I would keep it as is and shoot it. And sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That's a great gun ... it's a shooter not a safe queen. I have a 586 (no dash) in the really hard to find 8" model and it's one of my favorite guns ever.

I think your friend would be happy either way ... keep it as is or get it tuned and reconditioned to give it an even longer life. Sending it back to the Mother Ship wouldn't bother me one bit. As long as it's in the hands of someone who really appreciates it is the only thing that matters. Enjoy!!

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a great gun ... it's a shooter not a safe queen. I have a 586 (no dash) in the really hard to find 8" model and it's one of my favorite guns ever.

I think your friend would be happy either way ... keep it as is or get it tuned and reconditioned to give it an even longer life. Sending it back to the Mother Ship wouldn't bother me one bit. As long as it's in the hands of someone who really appreciates it is the only thing that matters. Enjoy!!
When my friend bought this one in the 1980's his roommate got the 8 3/8" model with the 4 position front sight. It was an amazing revolver intended for silhouette shooting. I loved shooting it. I have never seen another one like it except online.

·
Registered
589 Posts
When my friend bought this one in the 1980's his roommate got the 8 3/8" model with the 4 position front sight. It was an amazing revolver intended for silhouette shooting. I loved shooting it. I have never seen another one like it except online.
Those Silhouette Models were really sweet and very hard to find these days and the price would probably be scary. Mine has the standard front sight but it carries a Burris 2X Target scope, and I got it for NRA Silhouette matches at our local club back in the '80s. I've also used it for deer hunting.

I love the size and feel of the L-frame revolvers ... I also have a 5" 686+ from the "3-5-7 Special Editions". Stainless, 7 shot with the unfluted cylinder ... very cool.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Were you really good friends? Did you do things together?
Would you request your friend to to go back to his house and get totally redressed in new clothes and get cleaned up before you went to the range together?

How many times was that fine piece holstered to wear off the bluing on the end of the barrel and lug? And every one of those times, there was a story to it.
He held THAT bluing, he held THOSE grips.
Leave it, cherish it.

Sorry, lost a dear friend years ago and all I have left are some old photographs. We'd go shooting together, race cars, go to the lake....
His tweaker sister pretty much stole everything of his after he died. Feeling sentimental and I miss my friend.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts