Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This early S&W 586-1 was my friend's first quality handgun. It was his everything gun. It served for home defense, range toy, hunting sidearm...you name it. It rode many miles on his right hip, and it shows it. As his collection grew he just retired it to the safe. The finish is worn and has some pitting, the grips are beat up, and I know it's fired many thousands of rounds. It has the M stamp from the upgrade S&W did to the first L Frame revolvers. I am torn between leaving it as is or sending it back to S&W to be re-blued and gone through. As a tribute to my departed friend I think I would enjoy shooting this fine old .357 that holds so many memories. What do you guys think?
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun
Revolver Gun accessory Metal Tool Personal protective equipment
Automotive exhaust Muffler Exhaust system Cylinder Nickel
Office supplies Tool Bicycle part Bumper Auto part

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a great gun ... it's a shooter not a safe queen. I have a 586 (no dash) in the really hard to find 8" model and it's one of my favorite guns ever.

I think your friend would be happy either way ... keep it as is or get it tuned and reconditioned to give it an even longer life. Sending it back to the Mother Ship wouldn't bother me one bit. As long as it's in the hands of someone who really appreciates it is the only thing that matters. Enjoy!!
When my friend bought this one in the 1980's his roommate got the 8 3/8" model with the 4 position front sight. It was an amazing revolver intended for silhouette shooting. I loved shooting it. I have never seen another one like it except online.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
IMO the 586 is one of the best revolvers Smith ever made! I have a four inch and would never sell it. These are the guns that have super slick actions from the rounds they have fired over the years. I could just sit and look at how handsome mine is. The barrel and wood target stocks really set these guns off. You are lucky to have this gun from your friend. Enjoy shooting it!
I remember when the L frame guns were introduced. I had a Colt .357mag so I kidded my friend that his S&W's cylinder rotated the wrong way. Those grips felt so good to the hand that there was no need to change them. My Colt needed Pachmayrs to feel that comfortable.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Leave the cosmetics alone. But have Smith and Wesson go through the internals. Primarily for safety sake.
After checking barrel/cylinder gap, end shake, and timing and finding everything good I decided there was no need to send it to S&W. I spent several hours working on it myself taking care of several issues. If you zoom in on the photo with the cleaning rod the bare steel at the muzzle, rust on the sideplate, and gouged grips are visible. I will not tolerate active rust on any firearm and it was easily removed with oiled steel wool. A couple of treatments with Birchwood Casey Paste Blue covered the bare spots without erasing them. Stripping and sanding lightly brought the original stocks back to presentable shape. Some BLO helped to seal them up and restore the shine.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Wood

Font Metal Fashion accessory Carmine Pattern

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I wouldn't do anything to that firearm other than clean and oil it. Some folks just don't understand just how much character an firearm like that has when it is properly cared for. Put touch up, cold blue, return to S&W for reblue, etc.,out of your mind. Once it is properly cleaned and oiled you will see what I mean. Treasure it, use it, care for it.
Umm, the picture above that shows the cleaning rod was taken after cleaning and oiling but before any touchup. The other photos are AFTER a little bit of touch up work was done. The 586 will certainly be treasured, used, and cared for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts