Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perspective!

“Imagine you were born in 1900. On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war.
Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million.
On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33.
The country nearly collapses along with the world economy.
When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war.
At 50, the Korean War starts. 5 million perish.
At 55 the Vietnam War begins and doesn’t end for 20 years. 4 million people perish in that conflict.
On your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, should have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening.
When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends.
Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that?
When you were a kid in 1985 and didn’t think your 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. And how mean that kid in your class was. Yet they survived through everything listed above.
Perspective is an amazing art, refined as time goes on, and enlightening like you wouldn’t believe. Let’s try and keep things in perspective."

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I just ran onto it. I can relate to that. My Dad was born in 1905. He lived through all those things. He saw the progression of farming with horses, the Model T Ford, to men on the moon. I doubt that any generation has seen so much hardship and change. Thanks for this post!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I didn't see this the first go around. Glad you posted.

My grandparents were infants or not born during WW1. They still grew up in the depression and dust bowl, fought in WWII, came home to rebuild their farms and help rebuild this country, raised kids in the cold war and saw them fight in Vietnam. That generation was fire tested which made them rock solid. I've often thought how lucky I was to have known them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So I'm in the supermarket yesterday and the line is spaced out quite a bit. I'm like 6-8 feet from the counter and this old guy just walks up to the counter cutting in front of me without a clue the rest of the line is behind me. But I saw Korea on his hat from the side so I don't say anything. I'm not going to tell anyone with a Vietnam/Korea/WWII hat anything, never mind tell them to get to the back of the line. A couple people are grumbling behind me and one guy is working himself up to cause a scene. I think it was around 1030 yesterday... not even like it is lunch time or some rush hour. lol In the parking lot he had a Korea Prisoner of War license plate.

I would have helped him cut in front of me if I would have done anything. lol

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't see this the first go around. Glad you posted.

My grandparents were infants or not born during WW1. They still grew up in the depression and dust bowl, fought in WWII, came home to rebuild their farms and help rebuild this country, raised kids in the cold war and saw them fight in Vietnam. That generation was fire tested which made them rock solid. I've often thought how lucky I was to have known them.
Sorry, my bad.

I originally posted it in the Minefield. Didn't know what the topic might stir up with some of the trolls on here, I know the Moderators already have their hands full and thought it "could" end up there, so that's why it started out over there and was getting passed by.

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
They didn't give out participation trophies back then either..................

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts