Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I really hate to be a downer and all but I just don't see the challenge in shooting an animal that walks right up to you. If it had got any closer he could have killed it with a stick.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by David the Gnome

I really hate to be a downer and all but I just don't see the challenge in shooting an animal that walks right up to you. If it had got any closer he could have killed it with a stick.
The great thing about it, David, is the fact that you are able to hide yourself from the animal. Well enough in fact, that he will walk that close. To me, and you rifle hunters don't take this wrong, bowhunting for deer or anything else is so much more of a challenge than using a firearm. When hunting with a gun, and often making a 100 to 300 or more yard shot is a challenge. The difficulty of a long range shot, or one that has to be just right through tree branches or rocks or other objects that may be in the way is very satisfying. When I hunted with a bow, & a 40 yard shot was a long ways, I got the same satisfaction. The name of the game in bow hunting is concealment. The fact that you were able to get the deer so close that you could reach out & touch him is a feather in your hunting cap. It means that you are doing a very good job and have earned the title of "Bow Hunter"!
Congraluations Therald. You are a "Bow Hunter"! [^]

·
Registered
145 Posts
quote:Originally posted by David the Gnome

Dave--
You also gotta remember that that Bull walked up on him itself-- It didn't see the man-- he had no real shot until it got that close due to the trees and foliage--and the biggest plus of all-- that guy has brass cajones because that bull coulda stomped and gored him into a greasy spot instead of hauling it outta there after he was shot. That kinda shot would have never happened again in a thousand lifetimes...:D;)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave if you have never gotten that close to a wild elk or deer, then I don't know if you will ever understand. We bowhunters get camo'd up, descented and try to become one with the woods and our surroundings. During the rut, we use calls to sucker the bull elk in, making him think there is another bull looking for his bunch of cows etc... It is a total RUSH man.

You really can not use a tree stand when hunting elk simply because they roam where ever they want.

Now check out Cody on his hunt as this bull came within 21 yards and spooked.

http://www.mccreaoutdoors.com/Cody.wmv

·
Registered
304 Posts
I guess my problem with bow hunting is the vast number of deer we have found dead on our property with arrows in them that no one ever tracked down. We also find chewed up arrows all over the woods during bow season. Too many people, at least in my area of the country, are too lazy to hunt down the deer after their poor shot fails to kill it.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I would find it hard to believe that there are vast numbers of arrowed deer left unharvested as bowhunters among hunters of all types seem to be the most concerned about hunter ethics.
There may be one or two individuals posing as bowhunters in your local area and that indeed is a shame. Bowhunters will take days to retrieve an animal if necessary and band together and bring in the dogs if required. Rarely is an arrowed deer left unharvested. The same ethics that go into deciding to bowhunt would leave one a very unhappy camper if one were to take a shot, with all that it takes to get to that point, and then not harvest the animal.
Enjoyed both clips. the 5x6 was indeed seriously close for elk hunting. That was one worked up bull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts