Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the TC Encore out for a dance last weekend. I have 3 rifle barrels chambered in 7.62x39mm (.308 bore), 7-30 Waters and 30 .06. I had these barrels made by the TC Custom shop back before the fire that ultimately led to the sale of the company.

I brought out the 7.62x39mm barrel. A generic handload out of the Sierra book of 24.5 grs of IMR4198 under a Sierra 125 gr PSP. Bullet was seated to recommended manual depth. I had the scope on my 7-30 Waters barrel so a rezero was needed. I got on the paper low right and walked my shots up close to the bull. 100 yards off of a sandbag. Once I was in the ball park I fired a 5 shot string. Just a hair low left. One last adjustment up and right and the final shot is center red.

I know us single shot TC guys are a shrinking breed. These guns are accurate and provide a great day of shooting at the range.
Regards

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I've got the Contender in 30-30, .223, .22LR, and .410 in the long guns. I'm also a hand loader and can attest to the accuracy of the Thompson Contender, as well as the Encore. Great shooting BTW.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I started with the Contender back in the 1980s and got the Encore a few years after it came out. Since then, I've gotten pistol and rifle length barrels for the Contender, but I've stuck to rifle length in the Encore. My most recent Encore barrel is a custom barrel by E.A.Brown in .22 K-Hornet, with a 1:9 twist. I got it as a substitute for .22 LR when shooting ground squirrels and it is a serious tack-driver. I reload with 50 - 55 grain bullets, which is why I went with a non-standard twist rate.

The Encore platform itself is very accurate; I have barrels in .223 Remington and .308 Winchester, as well, and they all shoot better than I can aim. I've mounted scopes on all of them, so it's a quick matter to change calibers in the field without having to re-zero.

Jim

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started with the Contender back in the 1980s and got the Encore a few years after it came out. Since then, I've gotten pistol and rifle length barrels for the Contender, but I've stuck to rifle length in the Encore. My most recent Encore barrel is a custom barrel by E.A.Brown in .22 K-Hornet, with a 1:9 twist. I got it as a substitute for .22 LR when shooting ground squirrels and it is a serious tack-driver. I reload with 50 - 55 grain bullets, which is why I went with a non-standard twist rate.

The Encore platform itself is very accurate; I have barrels in .223 Remington and .308 Winchester, as well, and they all shoot better than I can aim. I've mounted scopes on all of them, so it's a quick matter to change calibers in the field without having to re-zero.

Jim
I did purchase another Leupold identical to the one pictured. I have to get some rings and I'll mount it on the 7-30 Waters barrel. Then leave the one pictured on the 7.62x39mm. Too much trouble to rezero with every change.

I have 3 pistol length barrels from Bullberry Barrels. I'm going to order up a .223 heavy barrel for the carbine in a week or two.
Regards

Here is the frame set up in pistol configuration with a Bullberry 10" .44 Mag heavy barrel.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Man, that .44 Mag looks like a real beast! But I'll bet all that weight helps tame recoil, though.

Jim

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Very nice shooting! Hope I can do as well. I'm new to Thompson Center so I must be a replacement guy to that shrinking breed. I purchased this Encore Pro Hunter with a .223 Remington barrel the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet and have still to purchase a scope for it. Looking forward to shooting it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice shooting! Hope I can do as well. I'm new to Thompson Center so I must be a replacement guy to that shrinking breed. I purchased this Encore Pro Hunter with a .223 Remington barrel the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet and have still to purchase a scope for it. Looking forward to shooting it.

Kenny,
Congrats on your new Pro Hunter. Curious as to how it is going to shoot. I found that for some reason the long barrels on the T/C frames don't shoot extremely well do to barrel harmonics. (at least mine didn't) The flutes on yours may stiffen it up. Keep us filled in when you get it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts