Ruger Forum banner

Those pesky Wranglers. Why?

9K views 64 replies 44 participants last post by  yavapaisam 
#1 ·
I can't get those inexpensive little #%&#@ out of my mind! Why? I have a Single Six, several S&W 22 revolvers, Colts, High Standard semis and revolvers, some buntlines .... so I need a budget 22 revolver like a hole in the head. But now my local shop has them for $250 Canadian and I can hardly stop myself. Just so curious about them and most reports are good. I have spent more on grips!

Ruger marketing is so good it's almost Evil.

#3 ·
I had a silver and a Bronze Wrangler. Shot well but just prefer adjustable sights so traded them for a Single Six Buntline. Both Single sixes and New Frontier Bunline are 22 cal with both cylinders and am happy with them that way.

#4 ·
I can't get those inexpensive little #%&#@ out of my mind! Why? I
I don't know about you.... But is was easy for me. All you have to do is handle one. Then you'll go right back to your
Single-Six. At least that was my experience. Each to their own though :) .

#5 ·
I went that route, bought one, shot 3 cylinder fulls through it then put it in the safe in a MTM pistol case. A month later I pulled it out and the cerakote was flaking off of the hammer and the frame. I sold it for a $25 loss and took the money and put it towards a used but awesome Single Six (not my first just the most "worn" one I've owned) and don't regret it for a minute. I just never could warm up to them. To each their own though.

#6 · (Edited)
Howdy All :

I haven't commented on the Ruger Wrangler, because until about two months ago, I hadn't had
a chance to actually handle one. Then, at a Gun Show, I had the opportunity to examine three
at three different tables. One was in Bronze, the other two were the Black Version.

I have to say, I was not impressed. The fit and finish were what you would expect from of $ 200
handgun, but I was troubled by the fact that the Cylinder Frame was made from Cast Aluminum.
This is obviously less rugged than an investment cast Steel Cylinder Frame, and explains, in my
opinion, why Ruger does not chamber the Wrangler in 22 WMR. When I went home that evening,
I did some internet surfing, and found out that parts were NOT interchangeable with Single Sixes,
which troubled me even more. Why had Sturm-Ruger in effect 're-invented the wheel ' ? The
answer was obvious: To get a handgun on the market to compete with the Heritage Rough Rider.

And they have done this. However, I feel they, like the character in the second Jurassic Park Movie
put it so cogently, " Didn't make the SAME MISTAKES - they made a whole bunch of NEW ONES ! "

Now, at this time, Heritage has released a Steel Cylinder Frame model of their Rough Rider - and
it is apparently not that much more expensive to produce, as the price is right in line with the rest
of their line of Rough Riders. I feel Ruger could have done followed the same path - made the
Wrangler with a steel Cylinder Frame, Cylinders, barrel, and investment cast Hammers, Triggers,
and internal parts, all interchangeable with the Single Six. The Grip Frame and Ejecter Shroud
could have been made from the Cast Zamac, as that is a non-critical component in terms of strength.
Then, to keep the price competitive with the Rough Rider, simply do less ' fit and finish ' on the
Wrangler- bead blast and blue the steel parts, Ceracote the Grip Frames, and put less expensive
grips on them. Options like Buntline Barrels, Birdshead Grip Frames, and fancy Grips
could have been handled just like Heritage is doing with the Rough Rider - a Wrangler
owner could order custom components to make his gun his own right from the online
website,

Having a Steel Cylinder Frame would have allowed Ruger to add the 22 WMR Cylinder as a catalog
option, like the grip frames. And, by making the Wrangler ' parts interchangeable ' with the Single Six,
it would have served as a better ' entry level ' handgun for young shooters on a budget. ( At the same
gun show, I heard from two Wrangler owners who had to return their relatively new Wranglers to the
factory, to correct reliability issues. I feel this is due to the more maleable nature of Aluminum vs.
Steel in the Cylinder Frame, and the fact Ruger had to add a new part, the Pawl Guide Spring, indicates
that they are aware of this fact.)

Ruger could then have continued to produce the more expensive Single Sixes in Stainless with Target Sights, and shooters who wished to take the ' step up ' to the higher quality
gun would have been able to do so when time and finances allowed. The Wrangler
would have served as the ' Gateway Six Shooter ' to those just getting interested in
Single Action handguns.

All this is just my $ 0.02 worth.

SiGunsmith

#36 ·
Howdy All :

I haven't commented on the Ruger Wrangler, because until about two months ago, I hadn't had
a chance to actually handle one. Then, at a Gun Show, I had the opportunity to examine three
at three different tables. One was in Bronze, the other two were the Black Version.

I have to say, I was not impressed. The fit and finish were what you would expect from of $ 200
handgun, but I was troubled by the fact that the Cylinder Frame was made from Cast Aluminum.
This is obviously less rugged than an investment cast Steel Cylinder Frame, and explains, in my
opinion, why Ruger does not chamber the Wrangler in 22 WMR. When I went home that evening,
I did some internet surfing, and found out that parts were NOT interchangeable with Single Sixes,
which troubled me even more. Why had Sturm-Ruger in effect 're-invented the wheel ' ? The
answer was obvious: To get a handgun on the market to compete with the Heritage Rough Rider.

And they have done this. However, I feel they, like the character in the second Jurassic Park Movie
put it so cogently, " Didn't make the SAME MISTAKES - they made a whole bunch of NEW ONES ! "

Now, at this time, Heritage has released a Steel Cylinder Frame model of their Rough Rider - and
it is apparently not that much more expensive to produce, as the price is right in line with the rest
of their line of Rough Riders. I feel Ruger could have done followed the same path - made the
Wrangler with a steel Cylinder Frame, Cylinders, barrel, and investment cast Hammers, Triggers,
and internal parts, all interchangeable with the Single Six. The Grip Frame and Ejecter Shroud
could have been made from the Cast Zamac, as that is a non-critical component in terms of strength.
Then, to keep the price competitive with the Rough Rider, simply do less ' fit and finish ' on the
Wrangler- bead blast and blue the steel parts, Ceracote the Grip Frames, and put less expensive
grips on them. Options like Buntline Barrels, Birdshead Grip Frames, and fancy Grips
could have been handled just like Heritage is doing with the Rough Rider - a Wrangler
owner could order custom components to make his gun his own right from the online
website,

Having a Steel Cylinder Frame would have allowed Ruger to add the 22 WMR Cylinder as a catalog
option, like the grip frames. And, by making the Wrangler ' parts interchangeable ' with the Single Six,
it would have served as a better ' entry level ' handgun for young shooters on a budget. ( At the same
gun show, I heard from two Wrangler owners who had to return their relatively new Wranglers to the
factory, to correct reliability issues. I feel this is due to the more maleable nature of Aluminum vs.
Steel in the Cylinder Frame, and the fact Ruger had to add a new part, the Pawl Guide Spring, indicates
that they are aware of this fact.)

Ruger could then have continued to produce the more expensive Single Sixes in Stainless with Target Sights, and shooters who wished to take the ' step up ' to the higher quality
gun would have been able to do so when time and finances allowed. The Wrangler
would have served as the ' Gateway Six Shooter ' to those just getting interested in
Single Action handguns.

All this is just my $ 0.02 worth.

SiGunsmith
It's quite possible that Ruger figures making a less expensive Single Six, and calling it a Wrangler, doesn't fit with their marketing plans.
Doing so would definitely detract from Single Six sales.
Meanwhile, Wrangler sales are doing extremely well. (Evidence the lack of Wranglers for sale in local gun shops, while Rough Riders are seen pretty much everywhere.)

#7 ·
I can't get those inexpensive little #%&#@ out of my mind! Why? I have a Single Six, several S&W 22 revolvers, Colts, High Standard semis and revolvers, some buntlines .... so I need a budget 22 revolver like a hole in the head. But now my local shop has them for $250 Canadian and I can hardly stop myself. Just so curious about them and most reports are good. I have spent more on grips!

bought one and haven't looked back ...

#8 · (Edited)
To add as both are priced about the same, Wrangler and Heritage. The biggest difference I see are the ability of the Heritage to shoot both 22 LR and 22 Mag. Wished the Wrangler could as I do like having ability to do both out of same gun. Also the Wrangler gate is very stiff and can be very hard for some people to operate.

#9 ·
My need for another hole in the head was like yours ... but I had $180 in Cabela's gift cards that needed spending before going to Cabela's I checked availbility of Wrangler ...out of stock ...good I had no need whatsoever ...
Went all over the store and couldn't find Anything I wanted / needed ...no powder , no primers I could use those ...
I'm headed towards door and see counter man and say ...do you have any Wranglers ...and he Say's ... What Color Do You Want ...a shipment just came in ... I reply do you have Black ... He says yes and the $199 Wrangler goes home with me ... Best danged $199 I ever spent on a gun ... I absolutely Love this shooter, it's just a little sweet heart ! If the loading gat is stiff ... spray some good gun Grease in and work it in a couple times ...the spray grease did wonders .
With my gift cards it only cost me another $20 ... I bought ammo , a holster and thinking about new grips !
Don't fight it ...just go get one !
Gary

#10 · (Edited)
I'm not needing one for a shooter at all , got plenty of those.
But I am waiting for them to "age" properly and have cheap , used , ugly , flakey paint ones be available.
You know , Bubba project guns.
I'm seein a 2" barrel slab sided ,dovetail front sight , no ejector rod or housing , polished cylinder frame and a standard aluminum alloy gripframe slightly roundbutted .
Fun little lightweight sheriff style pocket packin pistola ,,,,, Bubba style.
Ruger finished them like a BUBBA gun ,,,,,, Why can't I ?

#13 ·
I have a Wrangler, a Single Six, and a Rough Rider. It's not fair to compare a Wrangler to a Single Six, it's like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. Different class of revolvers. The Wrangler vs. Rough Rider is a good comparison, and I enjoy having both. As has been mentioned the RR can shoot .22 WMR's. For the quality, I prefer the Wrangler, though. My Rough Rider has broken springs twice, and it's only warranted for 1 year. The Wrangler follows the usual, outstanding, Ruger Customer Service pledge.

#14 ·
We've had two in the house. Kept one as a "beater" gun and sold the other.

The one we kept had to go back to Ruger because the cylinder drug on the frame quite badly. And also because it had the Wrangler problem (well documented in various threads here) of the sear locking the hammer back before the cylinder locks into place, potentially allowing it to fire without the cylinder locked and without the chamber aligned with the barrel.

They are an OK gun and I recommend that everyone own one, for the same reason everyone should own one of those clunker $125 single-shot shotguns. Nice to have a beater, "disposable" gun for certain situations like carrying around on an ATV or snowmobile, or behind a pickup seat.

The Wrangler can be a bit rough around the edges, but still better than a Heritage by a long shot.

If you have no need for a beater gun, then get a Single Six.

#15 ·
Guess i shouldn't have an opinion since i have never even handled one.But,the idea of a gun with aluminum and a painted (cerekoted) finish just instantly turns me off.I guess i am old fashioned (probably cause i'm old) but my idea of any gun is blued steel and walnut.Would you want a Parker Bros. 410 double with a cerekote finish?Yeah,Me too.

#17 ·
I have no regrets, bought two of them one black and one silver. Several hundred rounds through both with not one single problem. Sorry but the bronze color just doesn't cream my Twinkie. Both are kept in my locked shop (24/7-365) out behind the house in a locked Craftsman tool box. One loaded with .22 HP for aggressive stray dogs or coyotes and the other with snake/bird shot for creepy crawly things. For the at the time sale price of $180 ea. why leave one of my Single Sixes or Bearcats out there?
Motor vehicle Wood Tool Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

#18 ·
People buy the Wrangler for different reasons. Some do because of limited available funds and its an option to start shooting. Others do it because they have the available funds and its a fun addition to their collection. I fall into the category of I have my Single-six and am happy with it and don't need or want the Wrangler, but that in no way means that it was a bad idea for Ruger to offer it.

#19 ·
Now if only Ruger would build a .22LR small Vaquero on the Single-Six frame like they did with the .32 H&R Magnum baby Vaquero which I have.... Then I would be right down ordering one up. I know they did once I believe, but haven't run onto one yet, people must be hanging onto them! To make it sweeter yet if they'd case color it... but blued would be acceptable. Of course it would have to come in at least a 5 1/2" barrel length.... It should be offered as a convertible with option to shoot the .22 mag, for those that are inclined that way.

#20 ·
Howdy Mr. Rclark :

Well, there is one of exactly what you are looking for on GunBroker right now, it is on a Stainless
Grip Frame, and is very pricey. There are also several 50th anniversary Vaquero Single Sixes,
but all have a 4 5/8 barrel. Finally, there are a BOATLOAD of three screw Single Sixes in Blue,
if you want to go in that direction - I think Ruger will still do the conversion for you at cost.

I love to surf GunBroker, even when I'm not in the market, as you never know what will show up,
and it gives you some idea of how the prices are going on guns.

SiGunsmith

#21 ·
I think the Wrangler was a good idea, a way to compete with the Heritage Rough Rider. However, i personally have not bought one, they are just flat-out ugly to me, because of the ceracote finish. I did buy a Rough Rider, and love it. The finish is mostly paint, but at least it is a shiny paint, and it is holding up really well. I may break down and buy one someday, just because it is a Ruger, but i think i will wait until one is offered in some color/finish that i like!

#22 ·
To state my position, I just don't like the looks of the Wrangler. So far as I know it is a perfectly good little revolver and exactly meets the criteria for which it was designed. It just doesn't fit my pistol, not meeting my criteria.

I prefer my Single Action revolvers to be case hardened & blue steel. I want my grips to be natural, not plastic. This is my ideal of the Single Action revolver, and toward which I've worked. Your requirements may be different from mine, you may prefer stainless steel, or aluminum alloy, or Zamak with plastic grips, or all carbon fiber. So what I prefer does not reflect on the quality of guns that are outside my realm of preference.

There, I've said it.

Bob Wright

#24 ·
Got mine on sale for $180 + Tax. Looks like a $180 gun, feels like a $180 gun, and shoots like a $180 gun. Here's the thing though - its a $180 gun, and can be treated as such, take the abuse, and if something goes wrong, is backed by Ruger's excellent customer service. While the heritage has better looks, the rough rider is not exactly a heirloom gun either....and I'd take ruger's service any day over a 1 year warranty. The biggest thing that I feel Ruger missed the boat on with the Wrangler is the 22 mag cylinder.

I am a sucker for wood and nicely finished blued or stainless steel, but I certainly wasn't expecting that at this price. Perhaps in the future we may see a wider variety of fit and finish levels in between the current wrangler and single six options. Until then - I'll happily use my wrangler without worrying about the little things.

#27 ·
Hang in there, those Single Sixes are out there. I know, I waited almost forty years for one.
My father told me back around 1970 or so that "We're going to get a Single Six someday" after watching some western and I wished for a single action like those cowboys.
Bought a Wrangler and six months later this one appeared.

1967 RSS5X

Both are fun to plink with, both have their place, but when you pull the hammer back on each...
The sound of a non-converted three screw is worth the wait. Just my .02 opinion.

#31 ·
I’ll put my two cents in here.

I’ve had a wrangler for a few months now. When I first got it, the cartridges seemed tight in the cylinder, the cylinder turned hard sometimes also. Now that I’ve shot around 500 rounds through it, all that went away. Bullets slide in and out of the cylinder like butter and it spins easy. It’s a great gun for what I use it for, shooting holes in tin cans and paper targets. I thought about a single six because maybe I’d want to shoot mags at some point. Couldn’t find any anywhere so settled for the wrangler and bought bullets with the money I would have spent on the single six. Couldn’t be happier with my choice.

I don’t need an $800 gun to do what a $200 gun can do almost as good. I don’t have to worry about scratching it or dropping it. Of course, I’ve never had a single six before. I’m not young anymore so it will probably outlast me. If any of my heirs want a single six, they’ll have to get it on their own.

Maybe someday I’ll shoot a snake or something with it, who knows.

Jack

#32 ·

I don’t know about you but they are just fun. That and unless you have a large checkbook easier to find and buy than the Vaquero and Blackhawks and especially the Colts. It looks the part but shoots inexpensive.22. It feels better than the Riugh Rider too. Love both of mine and resisting a third for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.