Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the Wrangler was a good idea, a way to compete with the Heritage Rough Rider. However, i personally have not bought one, they are just flat-out ugly to me, because of the ceracote finish. I did buy a Rough Rider, and love it. The finish is mostly paint, but at least it is a shiny paint, and it is holding up really well. I may break down and buy one someday, just because it is a Ruger, but i think i will wait until one is offered in some color/finish that i like!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
To state my position, I just don't like the looks of the Wrangler. So far as I know it is a perfectly good little revolver and exactly meets the criteria for which it was designed. It just doesn't fit my pistol, not meeting my criteria.

I prefer my Single Action revolvers to be case hardened & blue steel. I want my grips to be natural, not plastic. This is my ideal of the Single Action revolver, and toward which I've worked. Your requirements may be different from mine, you may prefer stainless steel, or aluminum alloy, or Zamak with plastic grips, or all carbon fiber. So what I prefer does not reflect on the quality of guns that are outside my realm of preference.

There, I've said it.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I Love my $199 Wrangler ... perfectly timed , fit and finished . Last night I helped The Earp's out at the OK Corral and later helped Matt Dillion in a shoot-out with rustlers .
Best $199 I ever spent on a new six-shooter ... it's worth $199 just for the FUN factor !
Gary

·
Registered
98 Posts
Got mine on sale for $180 + Tax. Looks like a $180 gun, feels like a $180 gun, and shoots like a $180 gun. Here's the thing though - its a $180 gun, and can be treated as such, take the abuse, and if something goes wrong, is backed by Ruger's excellent customer service. While the heritage has better looks, the rough rider is not exactly a heirloom gun either....and I'd take ruger's service any day over a 1 year warranty. The biggest thing that I feel Ruger missed the boat on with the Wrangler is the 22 mag cylinder.

I am a sucker for wood and nicely finished blued or stainless steel, but I certainly wasn't expecting that at this price. Perhaps in the future we may see a wider variety of fit and finish levels in between the current wrangler and single six options. Until then - I'll happily use my wrangler without worrying about the little things.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't know about you.... But is was easy for me. All you have to do is handle one. Then you'll go right back to your
Single-Six. At least that was my experience. Each to their own though :) .
Same here. A dozen or two times opening that stiff loading gate convinced me. Single Six it is for me !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks everyone. Interesting read. In the end it's not for me. The fever passed. 🤒
I'm holding out for a three screw Single Six.
Hang in there, those Single Sixes are out there. I know, I waited almost forty years for one.
My father told me back around 1970 or so that "We're going to get a Single Six someday" after watching some western and I wished for a single action like those cowboys.
Bought a Wrangler and six months later this one appeared.

1967 RSS5X

Both are fun to plink with, both have their place, but when you pull the hammer back on each...
The sound of a non-converted three screw is worth the wait. Just my .02 opinion.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Thanks everyone. Interesting read. In the end it's not for me. The fever passed. 🤒
I'm holding out for a three screw Single Six.
I couldn't wait that long ... at 72 the clocks ticking and a $199 Wrangler right then and there beats a "someday" single six ...seven ways to Sunday . The New single six , sitting next to the Wrangler , was $600.00 ... and didn't look like it was worth that much ... the Wrangler looked like it was worth more than $199 ... So , I got it...
... Not One Regret !
Gary

·
Registered
50 Posts
My need for another hole in the head was like yours ... but I had $180 in Cabela's gift cards that needed spending before going to Cabela's I checked availbility of Wrangler ...out of stock ...good I had no need whatsoever ...
Went all over the store and couldn't find Anything I wanted / needed ...no powder , no primers I could use those ...
I'm headed towards door and see counter man and say ...do you have any Wranglers ...and he Say's ... What Color Do You Want ...a shipment just came in ... I reply do you have Black ... He says yes and the $199 Wrangler goes home with me ... Best danged $199 I ever spent on a gun ... I absolutely Love this shooter, it's just a little sweet heart ! If the loading gat is stiff ... spray some good gun Grease in and work it in a couple times ...the spray grease did wonders .
With my gift cards it only cost me another $20 ... I bought ammo , a holster and thinking about new grips !
Don't fight it ...just go get one !
Gary
If I ever get to the point where I want a cheap piece of junk that I can beat the hell out of, not be concerned if it breaks or if it gets stolen I may look at a Wrangler. In the meantime ai'm going to stick with my nice .22s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ll put my two cents in here.

I’ve had a wrangler for a few months now. When I first got it, the cartridges seemed tight in the cylinder, the cylinder turned hard sometimes also. Now that I’ve shot around 500 rounds through it, all that went away. Bullets slide in and out of the cylinder like butter and it spins easy. It’s a great gun for what I use it for, shooting holes in tin cans and paper targets. I thought about a single six because maybe I’d want to shoot mags at some point. Couldn’t find any anywhere so settled for the wrangler and bought bullets with the money I would have spent on the single six. Couldn’t be happier with my choice.

I don’t need an $800 gun to do what a $200 gun can do almost as good. I don’t have to worry about scratching it or dropping it. Of course, I’ve never had a single six before. I’m not young anymore so it will probably outlast me. If any of my heirs want a single six, they’ll have to get it on their own.

Maybe someday I’ll shoot a snake or something with it, who knows.

Jack

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can't get those inexpensive little #%&#@ out of my mind! Why? I have a Single Six, several S&W 22 revolvers, Colts, High Standard semis and revolvers, some buntlines .... so I need a budget 22 revolver like a hole in the head. But now my local shop has them for $250 Canadian and I can hardly stop myself. Just so curious about them and most reports are good. I have spent more on grips!

Ruger marketing is so good it's almost Evil.
I don’t know about you but they are just fun. That and unless you have a large checkbook easier to find and buy than the Vaquero and Blackhawks and especially the Colts. It looks the part but shoots inexpensive.22. It feels better than the Riugh Rider too. Love both of mine and resisting a third for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wife bought me the bronze colored one and I love it!! Goes on walks with me in the woods, shoots to POA, and just feels good to me! What more could I ask for? Just shot 100 rounds through her yesterday with no issues and made the world safe from all those “Desperados” that were threatening the shooting range!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can't get those inexpensive little #%&#@ out of my mind! Why? I have a Single Six, several S&W 22 revolvers, Colts, High Standard semis and revolvers, some buntlines .... so I need a budget 22 revolver like a hole in the head. But now my local shop has them for $250 Canadian and I can hardly stop myself. Just so curious about them and most reports are good. I have spent more on grips!

Heritage has a good place in the marketplace. Ruger saw and wanted a piece of the action. Their Single Six was more than Sunday plinkers wanted to pay. Plus, good marketing requires good publicity and staying the public's eye. A new gun is one way the gun manufacturers do that in the USA.
IMHO, the Heritage is just as good and less expensive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went that route, bought one, shot 3 cylinder fulls through it then put it in the safe in a MTM pistol case. A month later I pulled it out and the cerakote was flaking off of the hammer and the frame. I sold it for a $25 loss and took the money and put it towards a used but awesome Single Six (not my first just the most "worn" one I've owned) and don't regret it for a minute. I just never could warm up to them. To each their own though.
"A month later I pulled it out and the cerakote was flaking off of the hammer and the frame. "
I call bullshit. The hammer isn't Cerakoted on the Wrangler.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Howdy All :

I haven't commented on the Ruger Wrangler, because until about two months ago, I hadn't had
a chance to actually handle one. Then, at a Gun Show, I had the opportunity to examine three
at three different tables. One was in Bronze, the other two were the Black Version.

I have to say, I was not impressed. The fit and finish were what you would expect from of $ 200
handgun, but I was troubled by the fact that the Cylinder Frame was made from Cast Aluminum.
This is obviously less rugged than an investment cast Steel Cylinder Frame, and explains, in my
opinion, why Ruger does not chamber the Wrangler in 22 WMR. When I went home that evening,
I did some internet surfing, and found out that parts were NOT interchangeable with Single Sixes,
which troubled me even more. Why had Sturm-Ruger in effect 're-invented the wheel ' ? The
answer was obvious: To get a handgun on the market to compete with the Heritage Rough Rider.

And they have done this. However, I feel they, like the character in the second Jurassic Park Movie
put it so cogently, " Didn't make the SAME MISTAKES - they made a whole bunch of NEW ONES ! "

Now, at this time, Heritage has released a Steel Cylinder Frame model of their Rough Rider - and
it is apparently not that much more expensive to produce, as the price is right in line with the rest
of their line of Rough Riders. I feel Ruger could have done followed the same path - made the
Wrangler with a steel Cylinder Frame, Cylinders, barrel, and investment cast Hammers, Triggers,
and internal parts, all interchangeable with the Single Six. The Grip Frame and Ejecter Shroud
could have been made from the Cast Zamac, as that is a non-critical component in terms of strength.
Then, to keep the price competitive with the Rough Rider, simply do less ' fit and finish ' on the
Wrangler- bead blast and blue the steel parts, Ceracote the Grip Frames, and put less expensive
grips on them. Options like Buntline Barrels, Birdshead Grip Frames, and fancy Grips
could have been handled just like Heritage is doing with the Rough Rider - a Wrangler
owner could order custom components to make his gun his own right from the online
website,

Having a Steel Cylinder Frame would have allowed Ruger to add the 22 WMR Cylinder as a catalog
option, like the grip frames. And, by making the Wrangler ' parts interchangeable ' with the Single Six,
it would have served as a better ' entry level ' handgun for young shooters on a budget. ( At the same
gun show, I heard from two Wrangler owners who had to return their relatively new Wranglers to the
factory, to correct reliability issues. I feel this is due to the more maleable nature of Aluminum vs.
Steel in the Cylinder Frame, and the fact Ruger had to add a new part, the Pawl Guide Spring, indicates
that they are aware of this fact.)

Ruger could then have continued to produce the more expensive Single Sixes in Stainless with Target Sights, and shooters who wished to take the ' step up ' to the higher quality
gun would have been able to do so when time and finances allowed. The Wrangler
would have served as the ' Gateway Six Shooter ' to those just getting interested in
Single Action handguns.

All this is just my $ 0.02 worth.

SiGunsmith
It's quite possible that Ruger figures making a less expensive Single Six, and calling it a Wrangler, doesn't fit with their marketing plans.
Doing so would definitely detract from Single Six sales.
Meanwhile, Wrangler sales are doing extremely well. (Evidence the lack of Wranglers for sale in local gun shops, while Rough Riders are seen pretty much everywhere.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
In all probability, Ruger saw the sales figures for the Rough Rider, and wanted some of that.
And they got it. (I notice a lack of Wranglers in LGSs, and several Rough Riders; it seems the Wranglers sell quicker than the Rough Riders do.)
I own a few of each, so I think I can offer a comparison.
The RR costs less, an obvious advantage. It comes in several different configurations (bbl length and number of shots, and a new steel-framed model). There are also several different grips available, either with the gun or in the online store by themselves.
The Wrangler comes in one configuration, but in 12 colors (as of this writing). Since Cerakote can be done in pretty much any color you want, there may well be more added to the catalog. Some don't like the Cerakote finish, and that's OK.
Both are more accurate than I am; both like Aguila Super Extra ammo, with isn't as expensive as a lot of ammo is.
Putting aside the Cerakote vs. blued issue, the Wrangler is definitely a better made firearm. By all I've seen, the Rough Rider needs to rely on the warranty much more than the Wrangler does, which is a shame, because Ruger's customer service is worlds better than Hertiage's (my shooting buddy had an ejector rod on back order from Heritage for over a year. OVER A YEAR!)
I've had absolutely no problems with the Cerakote on my Wranglers. Yes, it wears a little (especially inside the loading gate where shells slide in and out), but what doesn't? Most of my Rough Riders are wearing well, except on where the paint/whatever finish is on the frame; it's chipping off all over. (Obviously a problem at the factory, as it first turned plum, which is usually from a temperature mismatch problem when applying the finish). Otherwise, normal wear is apparent.
The loading gate problem (and it is a problem for many) is easily fixed with a slight adjustment to the loading gate spring.
As far as the grips go, I definitely do not like the plastic grips that come with the Wrangler; I like wood grips, so mine get wood grips. There are a plethora of choices available for both the Wrangler and the RR.
Fit and finish? If you're like me and don't mind the Cerakote, then this goes to the Wrangler. If you just can't quite get to like the Cerakote finish, you'll like the Rough Rider better. Can't reaqlly call it a tross-up, though, because each and every Rough Rider I've handled (including those on the wall at LGSs) has the timing problem where the hammer locks on full cock before the cylinder locks into position; I've never seen this on a Wrangler, but I've heard about it. Personally, I pull the hammer back until it stops, so it doesn't affect my shooting, but it does indicate Heritage has a problem.
Personally, if I had to get rid of one or the other, I'd keep the Wrangler. The RR looks nicer with the shiny polished blue steel and wood grips (if that's how you bought yours), but the deciding factor, for me, is Ruger's customer service. There's just no comparison there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
This has turned into a very interesting thread and I can't believe that in comparing the Wrangler to the Roughrider that no one has mentioned the somewhat unappealing look of that safety lever on the Rough Rider. I can't get past that.

Also, the brand name comfort of Ruger, with its warranty, has to be a vote in its favor too.

·
Registered
357 Posts
"A month later I pulled it out and the cerakote was flaking off of the hammer and the frame. "
I call bullshit. The hammer isn't Cerakoted on the Wrangler.
Since you call bullshit here's your pics, Cerakote or not the finish came off both the hammer and trigger. The gun was shot, then cleaned with Hoppes and wiped with Remoil before being placed in an MTM safe case and put into a safe that is humidity monitored. They're minor but it was enough of a turn off for me that it happened to a brand new gun after one use.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
Air gun Trigger Automotive exterior Material property Gun barrel

·
Registered
59 Posts

First you see them in the store, handle them, have them boxed up and they follow you to your car.
Yep.....

Trigger Air gun Revolver Rectangle Gun barrel

THEN.....

They beg to have new grips...

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

THEN.... (while in the middle of the pandemic ammo shortage)
When you're at the local hang out and ask about the 22 shorts in the case and the guy says "22 shorts? Shorts, HA! Nobody wants those things.... you can buy all you want!"

Shelving Shelf Gas Machine Rectangle

So I did. I bought ALL of them.
Then I went and had fun with my Wrangler.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts