Ruger Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Every major firearm manufacturer has discovered a marketplace for lower cost entry class handguns.

This happened in each of the lines. The M1911a1 .22LR line, the PPK .22LR, the Single Action .22LR, the military pattern rifle .22LR and the polymer carry firearms in .380ACP and 9mm.

Most of these are made from injection molded metal or polymer and involver very little hand fitting. They are cost reduced firearms with lower precision and little hand fitting or workmanship. Anyone that recognizes the quality firearms made by these companies will also recognize that putting the same brand on these cost reduced products is "brand pollution".

Ruger wisely applies a sub-brand "Wrangler" to these products in their single action offerings. That way you can easily tell that they are the low cost offerings. Others use codes like "Sigma" or "SD" in Smith and Wesson offerings, and others don't bother at all.

I personally don't buy these because I like precision well made firearms, but I'm also willing to pay for them. Many people don't know and can't tell the difference; will shoot them once or twice and stick them in the drawer. For some, a low cost gun is all they want or need.

At least Ruger offers good customer service on their products. Not all the companies offering these cost reduced products bothers to do that...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I've realized that one difference living in Canada is that we can only take our handguns in a locked case straight to a range to shoot them and bring them back - so we have no need for a workaday gun that I would have in the truck or wear when I was walking the dog or riding the horse in the bush.( in case I run into coyotes)
If we had legal carry I think one of these would be perfect for my saddle gun, with no worry for wearing the blue off, or chipping the grips if I got tossed. Sadly we can't do that and our gun ownership rights are currently under attack by our government.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wanted a .22 revolver, or pistol, & 109 for a Heritage won over 199 for a Wrangler. Except for not quite as good of machining on the frame, the Heritage actually looks better, & shoots just fine. If you are gonna put hundreds of rds weekly through one, the Wrangler may be the way to go, but not in my case. I'm sure Ruger has to cater to the younger crowd, but to be honest, If the Wrangler beside the Heritage in the case I was lookin at, had been a shiny blue finish, I prob would have paid the extra 100 bucks for it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was so close to buying one, until a friend sold me his VG condition Single-six at a Wrangler price. He knew what he could get but wanted the money quick. The wrangler is nice but the S-S is just so much more refined. I laugh he bought the gun for his wife but she didnt like it much. I see him a few months later and ask what he bought her….A stainess Single-ten. I guess after trying a few things she just went back to where she started with greater capacity and triple the price! I couldn’t be happier though. Except one for the other hand would be nice. To add though I keep thinking of a Wrangler too but need to try one out first.

Reactions: Brassmonkey

·
Registered
335 Posts
think i have posted before...most of the all the guts from a SS6 swap into a Wrangler, no not cylinder, but yes hammers, triggers, springs, grip frames, etc.. Wranglers fun to tinker with, conversions to bisleys, birdheads, dragoons, hunters...an messing around with them gave me knowledge and confidence to tackle the blackhawks i wanted to convert.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I bought a new one, learned it was a badly fitted POS. It was difficult to open the loading gate, difficult to cock and rotate the cylinder. Found out it needed cleaning and breaking in the moving parts... it wasn't even as good as a Heritage. Fortunately I have real Ruger Single Sixes already. If you need a Wrangler because you can't find or afford a better Ruger Single six, that's fine but Dang! use it then lose it!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I feel bad for those that are disappointed with the Wrangler. I waited a year before I could locate a 2nd one. I have taken them out and just had a ball with them. I am very familiar with the workings of the Ruger single actions and took them both apart and did an action jobs on them just to say that I did. Now they are as smooth as any one of my Vaqueros, New Vaqueros, or Single Sixes. I have more 22 handguns than anyone would need, but those 2 Wranglers are the ones that get out the most.
By the way, I shoot Gunfighter in SASS, hence the need for 2. Paired up with my Henry Golden Boy, that has been smoothed and short stroked, it makes for a fun outing.

WR

·
Registered
26 Posts
Howdy Everybody :

And a Happy Thanksgiving to All !

Earlier in this topic, I wrote:

Having a Steel Cylinder Frame would have allowed Ruger to add the 22 WMR Cylinder
as a catalog option, like the grip frames. And, by making the Wrangler ' parts interchangeable '
with the Single Six, it would have served as a better ' entry level ' handgun for young shooters
on a budget. ( At the same gun show, I heard from two Wrangler owners who had to return
their relatively new Wranglers to the factory, to correct reliability issues. I feel this is due to
the more maleable nature of Aluminum vs. Steel in the Cylinder Frame, and the fact Ruger
had to add a new part, the Pawl Guide Spring, indicates that they are aware of this fact.)

Ruger could then have continued to produce the more expensive Single Sixes in Stainless
with Target Sights, and shooters who wished to take the ' step up ' to the higher quality
gun would have been able to do so when time and finances allowed. The Wrangler
would have served as the ' Gateway Six Shooter ' to those just getting interested in
Single Action handguns.

Since I made my comments, we have seen an example of a Wrangler that appears to have suffered
premature wear on a section of the Cylinder Frame where the Aluminum Cylinder Frame can come
in contact with the Cylinder Ratchet. Ruger took the gun back, and, from the appearance of the
photos provided by Mr. RFBellCSI in the topic " A Stray followed me home ", what Ruger did
was to re-coat the Ceracote in the affected area. If you look at the photos he posted, in the ' after '
photos, you can still see signs of the damage caused by the Ratchet under the new Ceracote.

In the past few years, I have seen a number of manufacturers attempt to make 22 caliber pistols,
such as 1911 clones, and others, using Aluminum and Zamac - all of these firearms have, over the
years, gotten a reputation for developing cracked slides and frames, rendering the guns useless.

Such guns as the Sig Sauer Mosquito, and several 1911-22 clones, have all suffered from this
problem. This has led me to the conclusion that Zamac and Aluminum do NOT belong on handguns
in locations where they are exposed to wear due to moving parts, or excessive loads from firing.
Quite simply, asking Zamac or Aluminum to take the place of steel is like asking a boy to do a man's
job - not a formula for success.

As we all know, there is now a huge, widespread market for guns of the Glock type, with polymer
lower frames in which steel stiffeners have been added to the plastic. I recently was able to
convince a close friend of mine to trade his Glock in for a Steel framed Sig Sauer, simply by referring
him to a Google search with the words ' Glock Kaboom ', and having him look at the pictures. He
went with me to the next local GunShow, and traded his Glock in for the Sig -

While I do NOT feel that a Wrangler could suffer a catastrophic failure that could cause injury, I have
heard too many stories of excessive wear (and Wranglers having to go back to the Factory for service)
to make me happy. In over 40 years of owning steel framed Blackhawks, Vaqueros, and Single Sixes,
both Blue and Stainless, only ONE of more than thirty Steel Framed Rugers that I have owned had to
be sent in for service, and this was due to an accident that damaged the Cylinder. ( I called Ruger,
and they stated they would not sell me a cylinder, but would fit it just for the cost of parts - so off it
went to the Factory )

I again reiterate - Ruger would have been better advised to have made the Wrangler with an Metal
Injected Molded STEEL frame, and made it interchangeable with the Single Six. but with the Vaquero
style top strap and front sight, and done the fit and finish on it just like they are doing with the Wrangler right now - they could have assembled the Barrel to the Cylinder Frame, and then given them a light media blasting, followed by either the Ceracote finish or a less exacting version of a blued finish. The Wranglers could have been made as Blued Steel guns, and the Single Six reserved tor the Stainless Steel materials.

The Grip Frame and Ejector Rod Housing could have been made from Aluminum or Zamac, and, had this been done, it could have been extended to the entire line of Ruger Single Actions - You would have had Steel frame Vaquero Style guns at a budget price, that would have been interchangeable in terms of parts and accessories with the Blackhawks and Vaqueros, for a price several hundred dollars less, that would have opened up a huge market for Ruger that is currently blocked by the high entry price of the existing high-end Blackhawk product.

Years ago, the late Jerry Garcia, guitarist for the Grateful Dead, was speaking in an interview about another Rock and Roll Band that had disintegrated due to internal problems. He said,
" They did a lot of things Wrong - and I don't understand that, because it's really very easy to Do Things Right ! "

SiGUNSMITH

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Took my Single Six to the range, friend had his Wrangler. He never shot a Single Six before and I never a Wangler. After he shot my Single Six he said time to save some money and trade in his Wrangler for a Single Six. Grips by Cary Chapman
Trigger Wood Air gun Revolver Gun barrel

·
Registered
83 Posts
I much prefer the Single Six as well, but I was just reading a similar thread on a similar forum and everyone is talking about how much they prefer the Wrangle to the Single Six. I don't get it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
JUST because we have an affinity for Wranglers does not mean we do not love our SS6s, I think they get along well together. Anyone can do a little kitchen-table gun smith job to make them pretty sweet, yet cheap little revolvers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own both and I worked selling them also. I was able to handle a lot of both of them.
first I bought a RR before the Wrangler was introduced. I bought the RR because we price matched a competition price and I got a employee discount. Everyone would cry over the price I paid for the RR. Shot A few hundred rounds in both LR and Magnum and had fun.
Then the Wrangler was introduced. I wanted a Black but all we would get was Silver, ended up with one.
I was able to take them both to the range and compare side by side and shot for shot.
Both are the 4.62, 41/2 inch size so about the same. The Wrangler was POA at 15 ft the RR was left about 2 inches shooting from a rested position.
The fit and finish of the Wrangler was superior. Yes it was “tight” but you could feel it smoothing out with additional shots. Both are budget plinkers, you do get a little better quality with the Wrangler and the recognized brand. The RR has the magnum cylinder and wood grips.
I did buy a Black Wrangler a few months ago and will probably get more colors.
I will also invest in a RR Barkeep because it just looks fun. And the option of putting a birds head grip frame sounds fun.
I like my big bore guns but prices and availability make the budget .22’s appealing.
As long as you remember that these are budget guns enjoy them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I already have the silver Wrangler. But I keep wanting the black cherry Wrangler. Oh, well. Either the feeling will pass, or I'll come across a cheap one someday.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Been seeing many of them at the range and love it. If it fits you go for it. I still love mine and it is always in the bag.
*We watched a group of youngsters with Wranglers and other brands last week shooting at the range. Good to see that!
*My granddaughter is getting to know hers and that to me is PRICELESS!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts