Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you own one (a newer one) could you please highlight your good and or less than good experience with it?
I have a nephew I am thinking about getting one for. My sis says he is not ready for center fire yet and I respect her wishes. So the convertable seems like a nice "grow with the kid" platform. Any thoughts welcome

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck finding a new one right now. I would start him with a Wrangler to see if he likes single action revolvers before spending $600 or so on a Single Six.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah he is a shooter and my victim. Sis says I have turned him into a gun nut. I got him one of those urmax single action peacemakers 2 years ago. He is a soda can killer. But if I can't find a convertable my fall back is the wrangler. I just want to give him room to grow. If its feasible.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I only have good things to say about all of mine. I've had 3 of them and loved them all. Very accurate, stout, well built guns that you'll be hard pressed to ever wear out. I'd bet he could hand it down to his grandkids in the future. You and he will more than get your moneys worth out of one. I like the adjustable sights, and you can spice them up to help make can killing a bit easier with Williams Fire Sights, Warren One Holes, or even a red dot rail if he chooses. For my preference I like the 6.5" barrel because the sight radius makes aiming easier, and it seems to balance in my hand well. I don't use the .22 Mag cylinder very often, but it is nice to have the added versatility. Honestly I have no complaints about the Single Six and I doubt you will either. Only downside is that once you get him one you'll likely want one for yourself. I fell into a similar boat, my fiance loved mine so much I had to go out and buy another!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have only one single six in .22LR/.22 Mag. It is a blued New Model Single Six. I bought it used and it is a good shooter. I like revolvers with adjustable sights. I think the single 10 in stainless steel would be a great revolver for a kid to cherish the rest of his life.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah he is a shooter and my victim. .
Yup , a Single Six is an heirloom to be respected. If the kid is going to be a serious shooter bypass the Wrangler and get him adjustable sights on a more robust gun.
Montana09 nails the plus reasons above on post #5.
But,,,,,,, as long as he is your victim.
I would be tempted to buy the gun but not tell him it is his . Let him fondle and shoot it, make him clean it and tell him your THINKING about giving it to him.
He will be tasting it and I swear he will be you slave till you tell him it's his.
Geeese , no wonder nobody likes me.:rolleyes:

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,694 Posts
Another yes vote for a convertible. I have posted many times about my love for my pair of Super Single Six Conv revolvers. The 6.5" old model is one of my all time favorite guns. That barrel length is probably the best all around. My New Model 9.5" is just stupid accurate. I keep the .22WMR cylinder in that one and it is awesome with its speed and hitting power that rivals center fire guns.
Wood Line Fawn Plant Trunk

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
107 Posts
Up until a couple months ago I had four convertible Single Sixes. I sold two new models, but kept a stainless new model and an old model. I'll probably sell the old model as well. I have no complaints about them, but I'm at the point in my life where I still need a shooter, but not so much collecting pieces. I can't see ever being without at least one.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
The boy should decide for himself if he is ready for something bigger. The next step is to try .38 special, he could start with wadcutters. If that is fine, then regular .38 rounds.

His mom is being overly protective. Won't hurt him to try a .38.

If he is fine with it, get him a .357. He can use it for .357 until he is ready to step up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you own one (a newer one) could you please highlight your good and or less than good experience with it?
I have a nephew I am thinking about getting one for. My sis says he is not ready for center fire yet and I respect her wishes. So the convertable seems like a nice "grow with the kid" platform. Any thoughts welcome

Range USA still has one listed on the website. You have several in Ohio. I suspect you have to open an account to have it shipped to a local Range USA. This has been there all week but from my experience, will be gone by the weekend.
I might even buy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own two, both old models unconverted, 5 1/2” barrels, one is 22, the other is a combo. The 22 is a bit rough, just a fun plinker. The combo is about 90-95% on the finish and is particular to Winchester 22 mags. Picked them both up about five years ago, maybe two months apart. I saw four at the last gun show two weeks ago, one combo, ok condition, $550.00. Guess that’s the going rate today. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sure like mine. Bought a new 5.5" for the missus but she thought the barrel seemed too heavy. Found her a Bearcat which she loves, as well as a shorter-barreled Single Six that is perfect for me.

Sending you a PM, @maddmatter1970 .

EDIT:
Well, maybe not--can't figure out how to send a PM. Is it tacky for a newbie to post a link to a classified ad in another forum? I've got a track record there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Both of mine are New Models from the 1970's.
One a 5.5", one a 6.5". The shorter wears the 22LR cylinder, the 6.5" the magnum cylinder.
I carry them quite often around the farm.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts