Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,210 Posts
tinhorn, It might not be a bad idea to review the frum rules. Here's a link: The Forum Rules of Decorum | Ruger Forum

Madmatter1970, Of all the products Ruger makes, Single-Sixes have to be my favorites. Besides some collectable Old Models, I have several New Models. These are high quality revolvers capable of excellent accuracy. About half of my Single-Sixes are Convertibles but I seldom use the magnum cylinders. My favorite changes from day to day so today, it's my Bisley 22 LR with a 6 1/2" barrel.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,210 Posts
Yesterday, the Bisley Single-Six was my favorite but today, I favor my "Brassie" Single-Six Convertible (NR-5). It's my most used range gun and with the extra weight from the brass grip frame, it balances perfect. I bought it new in 1974 (without the brass grip frame). I carried this gun in a holster for many hiking and hunting trips. The bluing was almost worn off so I hot blued it and fitted a brass grip frame to make it look new again I wish I could remember how many bricks of 22 LRs it has consumed. After 48 years of hard use, it still runs like a new gun .... probably even better.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
No complaints here. We'll maybe one. It is unfinished (stainless) but that is about it ;) . I've had mine tuned, so runs really well. One of my kids will probably end up with it. Don't think I've ever fired any .22 Magnum in it. Only .22LR. And lots of it. I did find it likes plated bullets a lot more than the wax lead bullets. Can't go wrong with a Single Six not withstanding the occasional lemon which crop up now and then. Much better than a Wrangler in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can’t go wrong with the single-six, that’s for sure! I love mine.
Photograph White Light Air gun Revolver

Oh, and the .22 rimfire is for everyone not just for kids or the young. While i have all kinds of center fire rifles and handguns, I own and shoot more .22s than any other caliber. When friends and family go shooting, it invariably boils down to everyone blasting away with the .22s, with the auto pistols and 10/22s being the favorites. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Can’t go wrong with the single-six, that’s for sure! I love mine.

Oh, and the .22 rimfire is for everyone not just for kids or the young. While i have all kinds of center fire rifles and handguns, I own and shoot more .22s than any other caliber. When friends and family go shooting, it invariably boils down to everyone blasting away with the .22s, with the auto pistols and 10/22s being the favorites. :)
Yes I did not mean to insinuate it was only for kids. In my world, a youth starts on .177 copper bbs and works up to .22 lr/.410 birdshot then on to traditional centfire/shotgun/whatever. My nephews mom and dad decide his readiness. I just follow their rules

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have the means, do step up and find him a single six. Since the prices are soo close, I would also recommend you find a stainless one. I got my first in 77 or 78 and the list has grown to include several more of them over the years. With a young guy these days it also wouldn't hurt to stipulate that it is never to be sold or pawned without giving you first rights to it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thank you all! Seems there is a general high regard for the single six. A fire arm I am oddly not familiar with. But you have made my mission clear. Now to find a sleeper single six for him.
In between looking for a lever .357 for his uncle..... his birthday is in November, so I am starting this quest early, but I think I will need the time....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Single Six that I received for my 16th birthday in 1975, I didn't know that you could outgrow one, somebody forgot to tell me
The day after my 21st birthday in 1961 I went to my local sporting goods store and bought a convertible Single-Six. Several years later some piece of low life scum broke into my apartment and stole it. I next went thru a few High Standards, Colt clones, and others. Then I started doing the gun shows locally and stumbled on a convertible Single-Six in like new condition and it became mine. I later acquired another so I have two, both made in 1961. I wouldn't consider a Wrangler at any price because the original OMs are just so available, so tough, and so reliable without the garbage transfer bars and thrre paragraphs of "warnings" stamped all over them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As of this moment, guns[dot]com has a stainless Single Six convertible for sale.
As far as I can determine, Ruger is not making any single action revolvers except Wranglers at the moment, so any new ones you see are new-old stock (and I've seen a few lately).
Lots of used Single Sixes available on many sites.
Prices are not what they were three years ago. My convertible 6.5" blued Single Six was under five bills back then; add two bills to that if you find one now, at least.
My convertibles are real fun at the range. (Luckily, I stocked up on .22Mag several years ago, so I have some to burn.) The stainless is a bear to clean, though (I like to keep the front of the cylinder clean).

A thought: If the Single Six is just too hard to find, a Heritage Rough Rider (I know: SACRILEGE!!) is much less expensive, and there's a .22Mag cylinder available (sometimes, the gun comes with). I have a few myself; they are as fun to shoot as the Single Sixes (if not quite as accurate, in my experience, but close).

·
Registered
379 Posts
I love my SS single six. The only problems I had was when I first got it some chambers in both cylinders had very sticky extraction... as in get a piece of wood and bash them out! I could have sent it back but I wanted it done now and done perfectly, so I polished the sticky chambers until they all extracted normally, did a bit of polishing on the trigger works while I was at it and haven't had a bit of trouble with either cylinder or the pistol since. Unlike most, I keep the magnum cylinder in it most of the time although it's shot a lot more LR's than mags... and it's shot a lot of mags! Both cylinders are very accurate with several types of ammo, including a couple of cheapies so I can't complain at all. I did put some faux ivory grips on it but it's my go-to if I want a bit more power than the LR's have. I also have an old 9 shot H&R pistol that covers the LR stuff but I usually reach for the Ruger first. Neat pistol and highly recommended! It's a great second gun for an older kid that's ready for a pistol (the first, pistol or rifle, should be a single shot). The SA makes them aim instead of just blasting away as I do with the autos but hey, when start buying their own ammo, they can get a Mk whatever and blast away all they can afford!
Cheers,
crkckr

21 - 40 of 52 Posts