Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Exchequer
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my eye on an H&R 929 22lr with a 6-inch barrel. It appears to be in good shape but I'm not familiar with the quality of the H&R brand nor with the availability of parts if it does need some work. The listing says it has not been test fired but that the cylinder rotates and the hammer drops as it should.

Does anyone here have experience with H&R revolvers and/or that model in particular? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts.
The asking price is $199 and with shipping and fees, it'll probably run me about $250 total. I know I can get a new Heritage or Ruger Wrangler for a bit less than that, but I'm not interested in SA.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,585 Posts
I have always enjoyed shooting those. A couple of friends owned them. Good quality and accurate revolvers. I cannot advise you on price or parts availability.

·
Registered
127 Posts
H&R makes a quality gun and the 929 does have a vintage charm, $199 is a good price one that is in good shape. Lots of parts out there for them, 5 pages. Search | Numrich Gun Parts

·
Exchequer
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight. I appreciate all you enablers more than you know. ;)

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,730 Posts
I know I can get a new Heritage or Ruger Wrangler for a bit less than that, but I'm not interested in SA.
Heh. Lucky me. I'll be out tomorrow with your former Blackhawk adjusting the sights and shooting some .38 wadcutters plus a few .357s. I like the 929, by the way. What a great plinker that would be!

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
715 Posts
I have my dad's 922, which, I believe is very similar to the 929. A very nice, accurate revolver.

Dad's has a custom "HBAR" option he added. He added about a half pound of melted wheel weights under the muzzle to make it hold better. Found a photo:

Aqualung

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine is the H&R 9 49'r, have alwsys thought it to be fine craftmanship and will not part with it.
I would like to have a 929 to go with it myself! there are a few in our family.

Uncertain about parts. Though I do see both guns consistently over the years here locally.

·
Exchequer
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. I'm really on the fence about this one. But the siren keeps calling to me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Look at it this way What would it cost to get anything else comparable. More. Much more. It would be hard to turn that down if I needed a dependable 22 revolver. But like you said it needs parts. I'd wager you'll spend at least $100 getting it up to speed. Still worth it? Probably. How much of a grail gun is for you is the question.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah. I'm really on the fence about this one. But the siren keeps calling to me.
HIG, mine is a double action but loads like a single action and very smooth mechanically. Unusual gun compared to my usual and a bit strange looking though machining is very very nice on the steel gun - probably why I like it yet not everyone likes these things.

Accuracy has not been high end so far but a great plinker though haven't experimented alot, that is, have not tried alot of different ammo yet it has a nice thick barrel and the tight tolerances. Mine seems like it has potential for accuracy but could be wrong.

Uncertain if I would buy unless could hold it in hand as it could end up being a significant project, just have to decide if really interested. Why? ... My 949 has a sharp blade on hammer instead of Firing Pin so if thats damaged it probably would not be a worthwhile project for me personally, I dont remember the FP setup on 929.

Ended up getting an H&R close to mint condition here.

Finally, 'so far' my favorite .22s are still single action Ruger Bisley's regardless.

·
Exchequer
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have concerns about not being able to touch, hold, feel and inspect this decades-old revolver. If I don't get it now, I'm sure there'll be other opportunities down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts