Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've bought a box of these at mallwart, but haven't tried them at the range. i'm relatively confident that my P95 will eat them pretty well, but i've also heard they're dirty dirty dirty.

any thoughts out there about them? advice? cautionary tales?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I bought a couple boxes for my LC9...very dirty.....very dirty. I had a couple failure to fire and feed in 100 rounds. But, given the fact that it is an LC9.....it could have been the gun. Have not bought any since.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I've never used any personally, but the Walmart nearest the gun range I frequent has a sign on their ammo cabinet that says something to the effect, "Attention ammo purchasers: If you're planning to use the range at Top Gun, they do not allow the use of Tula ammo." That should tell us something.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never used any personally, but the Walmart nearest the gun range I frequent has a sign on their ammo cabinet that says something to the effect, "Attention ammo purchasers: If you're planning to use the range at Top Gun, they do not allow the use of Tula ammo." That should tell us something.
wow! that's a little scary.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Tula Ammo

I've thought of Tula ammo, but never tried it. So I guess I don't need to waste the time or money!:eek:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My P-95 loved them

the range I go to has now put up the no tula sign, IDK for sure why

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
As far as ranges not allowing Tula ammo... Would Tula's use of Berdan primers on most of their ammo have anything to do with it? I'm not a reloader, but as I understand it Berdan primed cases are much harder to reprime?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've shot plenty of Tula through my Beretta 92A1 and some through my LC9. I had one FTF out of the 1000 rounds I used. The primer went off but the powder didn't ignite. It was pretty dirty in the gun after a couple of hundred rounds.

I switched to American Eagle 9mm mainly because I wanted 124gr instead of 115. The Tula worked, I just wanted different bullets.

The ranges may not like them because they are steel cases. Hard for them to steal your brass without brass. :D

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I tried one box of it one time and didn't like how dirty it was. One box through my clean gun and it looked as though it hadn't been cleaned for the last thousand rounds.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had one box in a case that had some hard primers. They all fired the second time. I have not had any problems with the 223 or the 30 carbine ammo. I have some in 45 but have not shot any of it yet.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Nothing wrong with Tula....just that some ranges don't allow steel core ammo which is what almost all Russian ammo is. Many ranges don't allow steel core rifle ammo to be used also.
I have used Tula in all my 9MMs including LC9 and SR9c, never had a problem, no jams, or failures to fire, but your firearm may be different.
Slightly more dirty to shoot but I clean after each firing session which I do no matter what ammo I use.
Tula has been very accurate in my Glock 26 and as good as CCI and Federal in my other 9MMs. Big benefit is the price which is lower than other brands of 9MM which allows much more practice time at the range. I usually can buy Tula
9MM for less than $10.00 per box. It is steel cased so I don't spend time looking for empty brass at the end of shooting session which is nice if shooting in grass.
I have used 9mm 115 grain Tula in:
Glock 26
Browning HiPower
Ruger SR9C
Ruger LC9
Sig 229

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Nothing wrong with Tula....just that some ranges don't allow steel core ammo which is what almost all Russian ammo is. Many ranges don't allow steel core rifle ammo to be used also.

Steel core has been known to spark when it strikes the steel backstops that are common in indoors ranges, so insurers think it's a fire hazard, or so the story goes.

Since most ranges sell off the brass they collect in bulk they don't want to have to separate out the steel cases. Easier just to ban the ammo.

It will shoot fine, is pretty accurate and while it may leave a little more GSR than some others a little Hoppes and a bore brush will do wonders for that.

·
Reloader
4,138 Posts
Very dirty? I have shot over 3000 rds out my AK and SKS. If you clean your gun, you shouldn't have a problem. Most ranges don't allow because of steel casings. JMHO...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I haven't tried 9mm but I had been using it in my 30 carbine no problem Then I started reading on forums that its not good so I bought some 223&7.62x39& tried them still no problems

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i took the tula 9mm out to the desert this afternoon, and it seemed to work just fine. still makes me slightly nervous, but no negative results, so i imagine some more sessions with it will lessen my concerns..

·
Registered
629 Posts
i took the tula 9mm out to the desert this afternoon, and it seemed to work just fine. still makes me slightly nervous, but no negative results, so i imagine some more sessions with it will lessen my concerns..
Like I said in a previous post I have had as good and sometimes better reliability and accuracy with Tula 9mm than some US manufactured ammo. With its cheaper price its great for plinking and practice.
Trying some Tula in their rifle calibers, same result, no problems, just cheaper to shoot and very accurate in a CZ bolt action model 527.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I cleaned mine every two to three hundred rounds. More so because I was also shooting some experimental cast lead reloads at the time also.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have over 500 rounds of it through my SR9C. Only one dented primer and no bang. Clean my gun after each day of shooting so can't really tell if it is that much dirtier and only go through 50 rounds each time.

Happy shooting.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts