Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about the possabilities of seeing the Mini 14 chambered for the Grendel round and if there might be enough interest out there.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I read an artical in a shooting magazine explaining why the US military should switch to the 6.5 Grendal....
My understanding of the 6.5 is that it's more of a long range round. The 6.8 on the other hand was designed in conjunction with special operations personnel for medium to short range combat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is kind of an old post but if you are still interested, I actually own a Mini-30 that was converted to 6.5 Grendel by Accuracy Systems.

The gun shoots really good. The Alex Arms ammo shoots and cycles the best but the Hornady also shoots well.
I have hunted deer with this gun and have been pleased with it's performance but have not had to reach out much farther than 125 yards.
Gun uses 6.8 SPC clips and cycles well with the 5 rounders.

Accuracy systems did a pretty good job with the conversion. I would recommend them. Had a few ejection issues to begin with but they fixed that but otherwise very happy.

·
Registered
370 Posts
From what I've seen on the ammo search's unless your shooting Wolf .33 a round for steel it jumps to .68 a round for brass. I prefer to shoot brass in my mini , but thats pricey

·
"The Real Deal"
9,983 Posts
What does the 6.5 do that the 6.8 can't.
Alot. I own ar's in both calibers. The 6.8 has the same range basically as the 5.56, but at 110 grains is twice the kinetic energy on target. The 6.8 spc was developed for special combat troops for a more effective round on hostiles. It uses a 270 winchester bullet .277 just a lighter weight. The 6.5 uses a .264 bullet and has a better ballistic coefficient than the 6.8, bleeds less energy in trajectory, and is accurate and effective at longer distances than the 6.8 with less energy loss possibly out to 1k yards. Between the 2 the 6.5 has more powder pushing it, te case is fatter but shorter. For me the 6.5 grendel has proven under .5moa at 100 yards, my handloads in my 16" 6.8spc produce .75 at 100. Both are great calibers but if i had to choose just one, it be a 6.5 grendel, then a 6.8spc, then a 5.56.

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
A Mini in 6.5 grendel would be neat. I want one in this:

The Post war Czech 7.62 x 45. Blown out and longer than a 7.62 x39, so less thrust against the bolt, and a few hundred FPS. gain due to more powder. It would fit in a Mini, and give near .308 ballistics. The Russians told the Czechs to stop making them as they did not want mix ups in supply, and wanted all their satellite countries to toe their line.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
IMO these new "wonder rounds" are great, but the average shooter won't buy a 6.5 Grendel Mini.........that stuff seems more geared toward the custom AR crowd.

People want .223 Mini-14's they can buy ammo for at Gander Mt.

The military seems to be struggling to solve issues with stopping power that they caused by going to a mouse gun cartridge to begin with but that's a different topic.....

In effect, we're trying to do what the Russians did with the 7.62x39, which is field a solid "intermediate" range cartridge. Like the 6.8.......The irony is the Russians copied us with the 5.45x45 round......

There is a .300 Blackout Mini-30, which surprised me. This round must be popular enough that Ruger decided it would be a seller, probably in an attempt to get the Mini to appeal to the "tactical" crowd.

I'd be happy with a Mini-30 that ran on steel case 7.62x39.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I love 6.5 Grendel! I have 2..1 AR and 1 bolt. I'm not sure if I'd like it on a mini platform. I'm sure it'd be accurate, but for the price it'd be....I dunno. For the woods, it'd be too fast for deer unless hand loaded (50 yards). Then I think it'd be too nasty of a round for small game. Personally, it'd be a bench shooter if I had one.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I can't help but think the 6.5 is for shooting paper and the 6.8 is for shooting game. I know folks use the 6.5 for hunting. If the Government wants a better round for shooting at people and still keep the AR platform, a simple change to the 6x45 mm would be a good alternative along with a mid length gas system.

I'd be interested in a new Mini if it came in 6.8 because I consider myself to be a hunter before a paper puncher.

kwg

·
Registered
1 Posts
What does the 6.5 do that the 6.8 can't.
The 6.8 SPCs only claim to fame is that the bullet case fit the 5.56/.223 bolt face. Balistically the 6.8 is totally outclassed all the way out to 1000 yds. As a short range hunting round the 6.8 is a good choice but jus compete with 6.5 Grendel. There is something magical about the .264 cal.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,983 Posts
The 6.8 spc is great at what it was designed for, shooting enemy troops at the same distance the 5.56 was being used for, twice the kinetic energy on target with very similiar ballistics. It was born after the blackhawk down incident. Its uses a lightweight .277 bullet same as the .270win. Its a great round.

The 6.5 grendel is a great round too but designed for a different purpose. Its ballistic coefficient is very low, so longer shots are possible than the 6.8. But i believe both have their calling as useful rounds.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Actually the Mini 14 would be a great rifle with a 1-8 twist. Shooting 70 grain bullets with an improved BC. The key to getting them to shoot long distance is the right powder. (velocity) A 20 inch barrel would be real handy but then it looses that carbine feel. The Army spends a lot of time shooting the 77 grain FMJ's out of a 14.5 " barrel both long and short range. Think what it could do in a 16" or an 18.5 inch barrel.

Personally I think the the 6x45 shooting a 70 to 80 grain bullet would be the best of both worlds loaded with the right powder. It apparently was experimented with by the military in the early 60's but the 5.56 won out. If money were no object I have a Mini that could be sent to ASI to find out.

kwg

·
"The Real Deal"
9,983 Posts
Actually the Mini 14 would be a great rifle with a 1-8 twist. Shooting 70 grain bullets with an improved BC. The key to getting them to shoot long distance is the right powder. (velocity) A 20 inch barrel would be real handy but then it looses that carbine feel. The Army spends a lot of time shooting the 77 grain FMJ's out of a 14.5 " barrel both long and short range. Think what it could do in a 16" or an 18.5 inch barrel.

Personally I think the the 6x45 shooting a 70 to 80 grain bullet would be the best of both worlds loaded with the right powder. It apparently was experimented with by the military in the early 60's but the 5.56 won out. If money were no object I have a Mini that could be sent to ASI to find out.

kwg
Have been pondering sending my mini 30 to get the caliber swapped to 6.5 grendel, heavy barrel, all.the custom work. Very seriously considering it.

Reactions: Grays and sandog
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.