Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first Fobus holster, a "Gen 1" for my P944.

I don't know what the Fobus model number is, but they make what's basically a more basic and cheaper model (Gen 1) and the type with the adjustable retention screw and the slots in the plastic (Gen 2). There's also the Roto holster.

Don't buy a Fobus somewhere like Gander Mt., they'll whack you for $35-40. I saw the EXACT same holster I have for $38 at Gander Mt., I got mine for $20 with free shipping of FleaBay, brand new in box.

I wanted the more basic paddle holster, I thought it looked better.

When I first put the P944 in the Fobus, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get out. I mean, Impossible. I almost tore my pants trying to draw it, when trying to "break it in". This appears to be a common issue.

So, easy fix............jam a 1/4" hex screw into the seam where the trigger guard rides, and run the hottest water that comes out of your tap over it for 3-5 minutes. A hair dryer would probably work better but I don't have one.

Let it sit overnight with the hex screw in.

The next day I actually had a usable Fobus, that still retains the gun but is now easy to draw using the prescribed Fobus method of "combat speed straight up" draw. I can hold the gun upside down in the holster and it won't go anywhere.

You have to wear good pants and a belt with these holsters, otherwise you'll just draw the whole paddle out. In other words you can't use these with sweatpants.

I myself wouldn't put a, how to put it, "real nice" gun in a Fobus, because it retains only at the trigger guard and the gun has some play in the holster. As you move around, the gun will ride up and down maybe a 1/2" in the holster. It's not like Kydex, which relies on a snug fit. The Fobus feels more like a plastic container you snap the gun into. It works, but I wouldn't stick a $2,000 1911 into one. The holster includes some cheap velcro "shims" to tighten the gun up in the holster, but I don't want to add more crap to make the gun harder to draw. If my police trade in 944 gets a few cosmetic rub spots, so be it.

Hopefully this may save someone from needlessly putting a good holster in the "junk holster" bin....which we all have....

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I have the Evolution for our GP100s and it works, fine. Just a matter of getting the tension adjusted, right. Be sure to check the screw that attaches the holster to the paddle for tightness, though. Ask me how I know. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have Fobus holsters for a couple guns I have. I only use plastic holsters for plastic/stainless guns. I feel the "plastic holsters" make better range holsters than concealment holsters because they don't hold the gun close enough to my body like my leather pancake holsters do.

Key

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a few different Fobus Paddle Holsters, and they all work well for me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I removed the rivets, replaced with Chicago screws, placed correct thickness washer as a spacer. Good to go, did this on two of the Fobus.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have several of their paddle holsters and use them primarily on the range. However, with proper clothing I wouldn't hesitate using the for CC. For what they cost, they are pretty good holsters.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use mine under the "shirt jackets" that I wear, I don't think the Fobus will be coming out much in the summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts