Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the LCP but I'm also considering the LC9. Is the recoil like a normal 9mm or is it more like the LCP?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I haven't shot the LCP, so I can't compare the two. I would call the recoil on the LC9 somewhat sharp, but manageable. I put a Pachmayr tactical grip glove on mine and find that it helps noticeably.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The recoil of the LC9 is between the LCP, and a full size service 9mm. Its snappy, but managable. My wife doesnt like shooting the LC9, but does like the P series pistols, P95

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the LCP but I'm also considering the LC9. Is the recoil like a normal 9mm or is it more like the LCP?
As others have stated, the LCP is not the most pleasant 9mm around to shoot. It is a great pistol for what it was intended.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As said, the recoil is a little snappy but, you can change the recoil spring to the 20lb from Gallaway and tame it down a bunch.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
As said, the recoil is a little snappy but, you can change the recoil spring to the 20lb from Gallaway and tame it down a bunch.
I have one of those ordered. Will report if I think it makes a difference.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Recoil of any 9mm depends on the size and weight of the gun. The LC9 is not too bad but more than other 9mm. I just got my Sig P938 which is similar in size to the LC9 but heaver because they use more metal. Have not fired it yet but will compare to the LC9 when I do go to the range. My Sig is now my primary carry gun. I like Ruger but they can not compare to Sig just like a Chevy can no compare to a Mercedes.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I have an LCP, LC9 and LCR.

The LCP's recoil is much harsher and jumpier than the LC9. The LC9 has some recoil too it but I find it very manageable.

The LCP and LCR take more practice for me to master than the LC9, which though it has a long trigger pull didn't present me much of a learning curve.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't fire my LCP that often..every once in awhile. We also have the P95, the SR9 and I have a P345. I don't mind the recoil on the 9's at all. The P345 isn't too bad but still has quite a kick. I'm looking for a pocket size 9mm to carry. My husband just got the M&P Shield, so I'll use that when he's not carrying it. We haven't fired it yet.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I just got my Sig P938 which is similar in size to the LC9 but heaver because they use more metal. Have not fired it yet but will compare to the LC9 when I do go to the range. My Sig is now my primary carry gun.
So... what you are saying is you are carrying a gun you have never fired? NEVER? Protecting your life, and possibly your family, with a gun you have never fired? Wow !

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I like Ruger but they can not compare to Sig just like a Chevy can no compare to a Mercedes.
I do NOT agree with that. Sig in a good gun but Ruger can keep up round for round. I have a friend that also has p938 nightmare, he and I both can shoot better with my LC9. Also the Ruger is a much nicer looking gun and I think the LC9 had less recoil.
Sorry I also wouldn't carry a gun I have not shot a least a hundred rounds through.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do NOT agree with that. Sig in a good gun but Ruger can keep up round for round. I have a friend that also has p938 nightmare, he and I both can shoot better with my LC9. Also the Ruger is a much nicer looking gun and I think the LC9 had less recoil.
Sorry I also wouldn't carry a gun I have not shot a least a hundred rounds through.
Wel I have both a Sig P 938 and an LC9. My Sig is the extreme edition that came with two magazines. I only use the 7 rounder. The snap of the Sig is far less then the snap of the LC9. As far as accuracy, my sig is far more accurate then my LC9 could ever hope to be. Not to mention that my sig is far more reliable as far as going Bang each and every time then my LC9 is.

But the LC9 does have a little snap to it. It is noticable but doesn't bother me at all. I can comfortably shoot 100 plus rounds through it and still not feel any discomfort. But being more of a defense weapon rather then a range type weapon it would nto make that much of a difference for most people since they won't be firing it constantly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my first post on these forums. I just bought a LC9 yesterday and put 40 round through it. I am no expert, but I really like it. I shot at 5, 7 and 15 yards and scored 93%... I was pretty trilled considering, I have not shot a hand gun in many years, and then it was a revolver. This is my first pistol.

With that said I was taking my time, getting a shot off every second at the fastest, towards the end of my short familiarization range session. Due to the longer trigger than some other guns (does not bother me) and acquiring the target after a shot and the small recoil. I tried a few double taps, but it will take a lot more practice to get up speed.

Bottom line recoil is very reasonable.... but then again I don't have a lot to compare to. .

I was going to get a LCR or similar revolver, just because I did not want to deal with magazine, racking and so on. However the little time I had on the range and home practice loading and unloading, I am glad I got the LC9. The LCP is smaller and lighter, but I like the cheaper 9mm Luger ammo. I am not a caliber snob... a .22 would do, if the gun is right. However the 9mm is a little better round than the 380 APC... but again a gun you actually carry, practice with and are comfortable is more important than caliber.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can not comment about the sig 938 but can tell you my lc9 fires every time. Recoil is sharp but not unreal. Remember you have trade offs when you go to any compact pistol. I can keep 8 rounds middle of a man size target rapid fire. What more can you ask. I like a 92fs or 1911 but those were never intended for ccw.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have an LCP, LC9 and LCR.

The LCP's recoil is much harsher and jumpier than the LC9. The LC9 has some recoil too it but I find it very manageable.

The LCP and LCR take more practice for me to master than the LC9, which though it has a long trigger pull didn't present me much of a learning curve.
I agree with rammerjammer's assessment. (Besides, being a Bama fan, I like to say, "rammerjammer.")

I admit to being somewhat recoil sensitive with small, lightweight handguns, but I find the LC9 more pleasant to shoot than the LCP, and much more pleasant than the LCR. I put 200 rounds through my LC9 the first session after I bought it with no soreness...probably could have shot 200 if I'd had them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't fired a LCP, but I have shot my fiance's Bodyguard 380. My LC9 has less felt recoil and is far easier for BOTH of us to shoot accurately.

Personally, with the cost of ammo and with the high quality 9mm's available, I'll never buy another 380.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My wife found the recoil on the LC9 as too harsh. I put in the 20lb spring and stainless rail from Gall away and she said it made a significant improvement. It is still way more recoil than the SR9C.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts