Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully neither she nor the other communist will win, but I'm looking into hypothetical scenarios if some form of AWB or high-cap mag ban passes. Ok, maybe I just have new-gun fever. :eek: Such a law is unlikely to affect my Ruger 10/22, but it's not inconceivable. I'll assume the 10/22 will be legal. I would still like a centerfire rifle for maintaining skills, so I have some choices.

To be prepared at a reasonable cost, I'd like to have a ban-proof rifle and sufficient ammo (1k-2k rounds, no I don't shoot rifles that much, and I don't reload) to weather another ammo drought or price spike. And buying a rifle now beats the next "gun saleswoman of the century" demand curve. :rolleyes:

I already have a .308 bolt rifle, but it's set up for long distance shooting and I don't have a lot of ammo for it.

I have plenty of 5.56 and 7.62x39 ammo, but if I have to lose my AR in a tragic boating accident, there are a few choices in bolt rifles for those calibers. I have no gun chambered in 7.62x39.

Option 1 is to buy ammo for the .308, option 2 is to buy a bolt rifle in 5.56 or 7.62. Ruger's American Ranch comes in 5.56, and I like the CZ 527 in 7.62. Either of those rifles would cost less than 1500 rounds of .308 ammo (again, I don't reload).

For SHTF, .308 is a great caliber, 7.62 ain't bad, 5.56 is ok. But if SHTF, I'll dredge the AR out of the lake and dry it out, AWB be damned. :cool:

Maybe I should get the CZ, shoot all my 7.62 ammo, then sell it later.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
I'm guessing the best things to load up on are handguns and "assault weapons". Bolt, pump and lever action guns are less likely to be heavily regulated so you can probably buy them more easily.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was seriously thinking of getting a lever action rifle in .357, but the ammo costs more than 5.56 so it doesn't make economic sense. Even .38 Special is about the same cost as 5.56/.223.

For a pistol caliber rifle, 9mm makes economic sense but those are all semi-auto.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
It would be nice to have a crystal ball to see what the future holds. When push comes to shove, I don't think people are going to give up our Constitutional Rights as easy as they think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ammo and mags. Then cross your fingers that what you own gets grandfathered in. When I lived in Colorado, before the high capacity ban, and it basically came down to this: Do what you want with your mags before July 1st 2013. After that date, it is illegal to buy, sell, or trade high capacity magazines within the state. If you still had some after that date, you can keep the mag legally and the only way to get rid of it would be turn it in to your local police, sell it to someone outside the state (a little grey area there), or destroy it.

With the political power we hold in the firearms community, it should be impossible for the government to do an all out gun grab, so I wouldn't worry about that. They can however regulate the manufacturers out of business though and reinstate an AWB of sorts.

I know I kinda went a little off topic so I'll get back to yours! I own a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56x45mm. I love that rifle. Super lightweight, ammo availability is great (at least in my area) and with it's 1-8" twist, it will shoot just about everything I put through it with pretty high accuracy out to 300yds. I also have a SCAR 17s which is my go-to for SHTF but a little suppressed RA Ranch with some subsonic 77grs is an easy second pick.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Primers and bullets are my main focus.

I was really worried about loading up on powder, but now I probably have near a lifetime supply (which is good). I've found that primers are the main thing that I could not obtain very easily if things go on short supply. My local source went out of business so I'm forced to get primers on line which raises prices because of the HazMat.

I've seriously considered casting, but have not gotten around to getting that project going. I need to at least have the components.

I was one that tried to consolidate my ammo into one or two calibers, but have since thought about that some more and decided to branch out a bit. I have 38/357/9mm/380/12 gauge/45-70/223.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Stock-up on as much ammo as you possibly can, between now and November. Unless Over-the-Hillary gets indicted, IF the FBI does an honest investigation and deems her suitable for an Orange jumpsuit and tossed in prison....we are going to be in deep doo-doo. They'll go for the "Assault" weapons along with handguns first.
Then they'll put a tax on ammo so high you can't afford it. Just watch what happens if the Democrats win the Presidency......so long 2nd Amendment.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Even if she were to be elected, she will not be a dictator...I doubt she could get many of her stupid ideas through congress, even if she controls both houses...a lot of Democrats would be too afraid of the backlash at the polls.

And too, I have a feeling that many state government are going to tell the Feds to take a hike and stay away...that could be interesting..

·
Registered
283 Posts
I started preparing for the loss of 2nd amendment rights 4 years ago. Since it is way easier for the government to prevent something from being sold than it is for them to come take things from you, I went with the assumption that some things will be banned from sale but will be grandfathered in if you already own it. I bought 2 AR15's and have only shot 1 of them. The other is still in its box. I also bought about a dozen more 30rd magazines than I figured I would ever need. I made sure I had a High capacity capable handgun (SR9c). I also made sure I have plenty of spare magazines for everything. I spent practically every spare dollar after paying bills to get stocked up on ammo, and then 2 years ago I got into reloading. I have components available to build way more ammo than I could afford to buy.
In case a ban on semi auto's would also involve confiscation I bought a couple of revolvers. I already had a pump shotgun, a lever action 30-30 and a Henry lever action 22. I am still buying reloading components and AR magazines. Hopefully I have done enough to enable me to enjoy shooting and defend myself and my family no matter what may come.

·
Registered
673 Posts
In there wisdom, the founders of our nation installed something called separation of powers into our Constitution. Last time I looked, Republicans controlled both houses of Congress. Some of you may not be aware that the president is not dictator. For the past 8 years, Congress has pretty much shot down everything the President tried to do except Obama Care which is actually just a license for the insurance industry to print money, poorly disguised as a benifit to the poor.

So chill out. Really!

·
Righteous Dude
21,698 Posts
Grab a few bolt actions if you fancy. Nothing wrong with having a different platform that shares the same cailber.

I plan to just keep buying ammo, mags, and reloading supplies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.