Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad just bought a 10/22 Carbine. Fantastic gun, we were out shooting it yesterday, I can't say enough about it.

He's wanted a Henry for quite some time, I was gonna get him a lower end model for Christmas.

So he goes to LGS Friday, buys a 10/22 Carbine AND a Henry Golden Boy .22 mag!

So I'd like to get him an inexpensive scope and a ton of .22LR ammo for Christmas.

Looking at:
Center point 9X32 Mil-dot
Barska Plinker 4X32
Truglo TruShot 3 9X32

Use? 98% target/plinking, 2% ground hog or rat eating bird food.

What's your thought on most bang/$ ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have one of the centerpoint 4-16x40 mildots, and it is not a bad piece of glass it gets a bit washed out and blurry at short range with high magnification, but to this point it is holding a good zero and the adjustments are repeatable and consistent.

I dont have any experience with the other two brands nor the specific CenterPoint you are thinking about, but based on my experience with the CenterPoint I have I would be willing to try another without reservation.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,434 Posts
KillDevilBill, Unless your Golden Boy is different than mine, it is not drilled and tapped for a scope mount. No problem with the 10/22 ... it is D&T and even comes with a Weaver style base.

Before you buy a scope, take a look at the "Scope Dope" article I put in the forum Library. It might give you some insight on what scope to buy. Click on this link: http://rugerforum.net/library/61505-scope-dope.html

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This Leupold 2-7x28mm rimfire parallax with fine duplex reticule is ideal for the gun imo...a 3-9x33 is the biggest I would want...especially on a take down for use as described...anything more than 2x minimum magnification is much better with adjustable objective for the application...

I have a 4-12x40mm scope it is too big and too heavy...

With 4x minimum magnification close up targets need EFR adjustable objective for small targets...

The 2-7x with fine reticule is ideal for me and I do a lot of shooting at 100 meters...

A 3-9x33 with adjustable objective is still on the small/light side of things... 3x with EFR at close range is not too much for the application...and all you will need for the longest effective range of any 22 imo...

Weaver makes a nice 3-9x32mm adjustable objective scope for $250...

The scope in the picture is $220...the rings are Weaver Low...they are $25...the rail is Weaver multi slot for $10...

Those rings allow you to quickly and easily remove the scope with a coin for the tool...

The multi slot rail allows you a lot more flexibility for eye relief placement than the rails with only two slots...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KillDevilBill, Unless your Golden Boy is different than mine, it is not drilled and tapped for a scope mount. No problem with the 10/22 ... it is D&T and even comes with a Weaver style base.

Before you buy a scope, take a look at the "Scope Dope" article I put in the forum Library. It might give you some insight on what scope to buy. Click on this link: http://rugerforum.net/library/61505-scope-dope.html
Correct Sir, looking for a scope for Dad's 10/22 carbine.

Bought a TruGlo 3-9 X 32 for my Mossberg single shot 22. Mainly because the old one STINKS, doing a little "research" for Dad, and Dick's had it in stock. Haven't had it out yet, but other than being made in China I really like it so far.

Thanks SO much for all the great info here! I'll let ya know what's gonna be under Dad's Christmas tree.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Great article Iowegan, thanks for sharing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts