Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts

I've done it and prefer a straight 2x to keep things simple and compact and 2x is plenty for the range of a 357 revolver for deer hunting, namely 50 yards or less. If you plan to shoot past 50, I'd opt for a 44 mag or similar.

On my GPs with premium hunting ammo or good hand loads, I can usually get down to 2" and even less for 5 shots at 50 yards from a rest. Takes plenty of practice, of course, even more so if you'll be shooting without a rest and that's more typically the way I shoot.

By the way, I can come so close to that kind of accuracy with a good red dot out to 50 yards that it's questionable if the slightly smaller groups with the scope are worth the hassle and, make no mistake, shooting a scope on a pistol takes some getting used to. A red dot is definitely faster and easier to use out in the woods, even compared to a 2x scope.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Is that a 4" with the red dot? I like that. Wonder if it would work on a 3". (Just kidding. I know it wouldn't - not well anyway )

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Wow,
After seeing those on the revolver for the first time I may invest in one of those for my TALO. That will give me a GP with scope mount and one without.
It will look close to my S&W 686 Competitor, thanks for posting the pictures.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have a red dot equipped S&W 686 6 inch. The optics make it able to do some really great shooting and amazing distance. The downside is I did this for hunting and for me I never carry the thing as it is just very cumbersome even in a holster made for it. I have thought of putting mine on the to go list but when I think about it I recall how good it shoots and decide not to. So it rests in the safe which does no good either.

If you don't mind the portability issues the optics will impress you with the results.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
103, that is one gorgeous 686. Wow! I do like the option of being able to keep the iron sights on the gun when using a red dot or a scope. Be nice if Ruger made a Hunter version of the GP. :)

You've been reading my mind, too. Put a 2x Leupold on our Talo last night and hope to get to the range with it, soon. May give it a go with a red dot, too.

There are some Uncle Mikes shoulder rigs that will work with a scoped pistol. Have used them for scoped SRHs and TC Contenders for hunting. As mentioned, no one ever accused a scoped pistol of being an easy thing to carry. Not something I would want to do all day, but for hunting, a good shoulder rig is doable. Still a heck of a lot easier than lugging a rifle around in the thick stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This weekend I was shooting a friends ruger 22/45 with a scope and I was surprised at the groups I was getting (fist sized groups at 50 yds ). I am going to take you guys advise 2x or red dot . The portability of my gp is great on the hilly terrain I hunt . You guys have some fine looking irons !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts