Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
I am new to the Ruger Forum but have been on the Colt Forum for many years and I keep finding myself reading the Ruger threads so I figured I'd join. I have several Ruger firearms but as deer season in Ohio approaches I thought I would show everyone my new (old) Ruger 44 Carbine.
I would like to take it deer hunting this year as the laws have changed here and they allow hunters to use of straight wall pistol calibers like the 44 Remington Magnum. There are very few semi auto rifle models that can shoot straight wall cartridges but the Ruger 44 does and seems to do it well.
My carbine was made in 1969. I believe they made the original tubular magazine model from 1961 to 1985 and they made several stock configurations. The one I have below is a "Sporter Model" or sometimes called a "finger groove stock model". They also made a Mannlicher stock type and a more common model that had a barrel band similar to a Ruger 10/22.
I bought the gun in "near new" condition off Gun Broker a few weeks ago. I found a set of vintage all steel Redfield SR scope mounts on Ebay and mounted a modern Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 scope on top of it.
These guns were quite popular with deer hunters in the 1960's through the 1980's.
Ruger re-introduced a "new" rotary magazine 44 Magnum carbine called the Deerfield a few years ago. These were made from 2000 to 2006 and resemble a Mini 14 rifle.
I have already put a few hand loads through this gun with good success using W296 powder and Hornady 240 gr. XTP HP's. The gun seems to cycle well and have decent accuracy. I must confess I have not taken it beyond the 25 yard confines of my local indoor range yet. The gun seems light and easy to manage. I can't wait to try it at longer ranges and some Ohio whitetails.
If anyone would like to comment on this firearm (good and bad) I would love to hear what you have to say about its accuracy and reliability.
Best Regards, Doug

Attachments

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Very nice...........I've been looking for one! And, welcome from Texas! I was born in Elyria!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very nice pal. have not come across one with the sporter stock like yours. Very handy light rifle for brush country hunting. If you can find one out my way they usually run $500 or more in decent shape. Congradulations on a fine rifle.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I am old enough to remember when they were very popular with white tail deer hunters. Everything I heard about them was good on bringing down deer at 100 yards or less. Sometimes further if good shot placement was done.
Some did have a tendency to crack the stock at the round corners of the rear receiver, so watch that. Nothing to worry about that a good glass bed job could cure.

·
Dr. Frankenruger
11,748 Posts
Nice and handy carbine. I stumbled into one back in the spring - did a few hours work on a guy's boat and took an old 44 Carbine as payment. Shot it recently and everything functioned well and had some fun with it. It's easier on recoil than my 77/44 but toward the end of a box of ammo my shoulder was wishing it had something more than that metal butt plate.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do you remember when Ruger used to always advertise a .44 carbine with a picture of guy who shot a Upland Gorilla with it. Times sure have changed.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
dkay62, first of all welcome to the Ruger Forum, I've had one since about '92, and just love it. I went and placed a Williams peep sight on it shortly after buying it used but in fairly good shape, required some bluing, and I re-finished the stock. It is very accurate out to 100 yards 1.5-2.0" groups, using WW-296, or H110 and 240 grain JHP. In 1995, I took it out to UP Michigan for a deer hunt (whitetail) and happened to get a nice fork horn at approximately 60 or so yards. He went down like a ton of bricks just hit him. His estimated live weight was right at 125#s give or take 10#s.

Sounds to me like you got a pretty good deal, I paid right at $250.00 for mine and have been offered $600.00 for it here recently. I seriously doubt I would ever let it go for any price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all

My first post, I was looking for info on my .44 and here it is.
Mine is a 100- series, late 60's-early 70's.
1.5/4.5 scope and I would get under 5 inch groups at 100 yards.
Took four whitetails with it in northern Wisconsin about 75 yards. It's my only deer rifle.
Quit deer hunting late 70's. Took it to the range last time 15 years ago and it shot true out of the hard case. I haven't shot it since.
My friend wants it to go along with his .44 pistol and I'm into sporting clays these days.
I'll hunt birds but will never shoot big game again and my son has no interest.
Don't want to thread Jack but I want to sell it and get a 5.56!
Great deer rifle for brush, you will not be disappointed with this rifle!

Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow, new guys hitting the forum with fantastic rifles, good on all of you! Ruger has a 44 carbine up on gun broker right now, going for close to $1700 (!) No idea why they ended production of this great rifle. They need to bring it back to the line-up. Congratulations to all of you that have one, if I had the money to buy one from gun broker I would have it tomorrow. Even better if they had factory production prices. Thanks for the photos everyone, reminds of ONE MORE GUN that I need to get. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
331 Posts
>>I seriously doubt I would ever let it go for any price.<<

Heck, I'd let mine go for the right price! :)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Very nice, and virtually identical to the one I acquired about a month ago.

Congrats on a real looker!

I'll be posting pix of mine in just a few minutes......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sporter 44 peep

I have a Sporter 44 finger groove with factory peep sight. Serial #123xxx. Any idea what year it was made? Bought it in the early 80's have not shot it since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts