Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Loctite 222 the only thing we should be using on picitinny/wigatinny rail attaching points? I thought I would try my EOTech on a Wigatinny and the PC4 loosened things. I read on another site where the use of finger nail polish was used for years for the same small fastener thread lock. Any words of wisdom gentlemen? Cheers, Griff sends

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Loctite blue or clear nail polish is all I use on small srews if I want to loosen them again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For as many years as I can remember clear nail polish did the trick on screws.
Loctite I have used since it came out and the blue was made to be used for ordinary every day screws and bolts. The red was made to be used for heavy duty stuff and often needed to be loosened with heat. During years of auto shop work I only used the red maybe ten times. I still use the blue on any screws or bolts that have a tendency to loosen.
I Think the blue Loctite is the bad boy you should try first after all it works great on motor cycle bolts and screws.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
+3 on the blue loctice. A mini 14 could not loosen the screws on a scope. Enough said.

·
Registered
17,105 Posts
I always use the purple on guns or anything with small screws.

·
Registered
396 Posts
+1 on Loctite Blue. I've been using it (because it happened to be what I had) for a couple years no problems.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Blue is fine on small stuff as long as it has a hex head (or a nut). The small socket head set screws can strip out the internal hex pretty easily and it doesn't take much to hold a small screw. That's why I recommend the purple for a socket head set screw. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers

Thanks for the information gentlemen. My PC4 gave my EOTech a pretty good ride/beating, nothing I'm sure close to what a Mini would do, in my attempts at bringing the old girl into the black. I think I've found a retail Auto Parts location with Purple in stock. I was finding it very tough to find here in NOVA. Everyone has Blue and Red, the 222 Purple has been pretty allusive. Griff sends

·
Registered
17,105 Posts
I couldn't find the Purple locally either, but got it off ebay with free shipping.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Napa

Found some 222 here at a local NAPA store. The Car Quest next door had Blue and Red and couldn't find Purple in their main catolog. I went next door and the NAPA guy pulled it off a hook for me... $7.38...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blue It Is....

Well, I should have followed your recs for using Blue. I tried the Purple and let the screws set for 24 hours. Went out on Sunday and put several mags through the carbine and noticed my hits were traveling from zero.

The right side screws of my Wiggatinny loosened again...:( The left side stayed tight. Tonight I've applied Blue to the right side screws. We'll see what presents this weekend...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts