Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to keep the stock barrel so it accepts all types of ammo but in the near future I will start the long process of obtaining a suppressor. I would like to get another barrel so I can go back to stock if I want. Does anyone know a gunsmith in the central Texas that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to thread a barrel.

OR... If I choose to thread it myself does someone know what the maximum OD of the muzzle before threading. Right now it is .569 of an inch.

ETA this is my first thread on this forum and I have been researching it but cannot find a good answer.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,423 Posts
Contact the suppressor manufacturer and find out what threads and diameter they use. Not all manufacturers use the same threads/diameters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldnt try that myself. Only reason is because you have to make sure the threads are concentric to the bore. With a 22 a baffle strike wouldnt be as bad as say a 308, but I still wouldnt want to chance it.
I know they arent close to you but dallas shooting supplies can do it, last I heard they were only charging 50 bucks out the door. If you remove the barrel you can send it to them and they can send it right back to you. I think you could probably get it there and back for at the most 30 bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tools from CNC warrior use a Thread alignment tool to ensure correct thread. I will be going with 1/2-28 threads as these are the most popular threads I find on good cans. I work with my hands alot and feel that doing this is not out of my capability range. My only question is can the 1/2-28 die take it strait from .569 to the new threads.

·
16,423 Posts
jacksguns, No, the barrel will need to be turned down to 1/2". A 1/2x28 die may allow for a few thousandths oversized but .069" is way too much.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
This guy threads stock barrels...and re-chambers them for better accuracy as well...

https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/que-barrel-work

You can get a threaded aftermarket barrel with match chambering in a wide variety of materials, lengths, styles, colors including tapered barrels...

The only ammo you won't be able to use with match chambered barrels is CCI Stingers because the cases are longer than normal 22lr... you can still get a variety of other high and hyper velocity ammo that will work just fine in a match chambered barrel...

One barrel you might be interested in the Tactical Solutions SBX barrel...it is a 12" aluminum barrel threaded for a suppressor with a permanent shroud that extends the overall barrel length to 16" making is SBR legal...

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sbx-complete-rifle.jpg

------------------------

·
16,423 Posts
jacksguns, A lathe is your best bet. Files or grinders just aren't accurate enough to get a perfectly round OD. 10/22 barrels are tapered so you have to end up with a very well centered 1/2" end. Most any local machine shop can do this in just a few minutes at a minimal cost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After all, a barrel is nothing but a piece of pipe right? :rolleyes:
Well I'm glad to hear that, i figured the small amount of radioactive material I dropped down the muzzle would damage it. But if water pressure can push a clog out a .22 round should make short work of the glowing obstruction in my barrel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I scratch build muzzle loaders back in the 70s. I learned then that the bore is not concentric to the outer circle of the barrel in all but a few cases. Threading a barrel is hard and knowing Rugers propensity to use hard high quality steel you would probably need to use a lathe with a grinding attachment. That is after you use dial indicators to align your chuck on a bore mandrel. People ask me about doing this a lot, but I try to explain that the threads on the outside of the barrel must be concentric to the bore. This goes over most of their heads but at least shuts them up. Then i laugh and tell them to just fit a 24 ounce pepsi bottle filled with fiberglass insulation or polyester fiberfill. Hey, it ought to be good for a few shots at least. Then I mention of the BATF reg on using such a device without a class III license and how they would probably never be able to own a firearm ever again. Were it me and I had the money, I would first apply for the class III, pay the money and hope my ex-wife wouldn't use such an occasion to get even for putting a few drops of pepper spray into her perfume atomizer. Next, I would buy the suppressor I want from a reputable mfg, following their recommendations as to an after market barrel. I love shooting too much to let a foolish desire for a few minutes fun keep me from owning and shooting the guns I love. Hey, want to know what it is like, take an old pillow out and tie wrap it to the barrel. Kill the curiosity before it hurts you big time. The BATF does not have ANY sense of humor or adventure. It just ain't worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts