Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used a reamer to throat 3 Ruger 32 caliber carbon steel cylinders.

I need to throat a S&W 44 with a stainless steel cylinder. How well does the stainless steel cut as compared with the carbon steel? I am just trying to avoid problems before I start. I know SS is more difficult to machine than carbon steel.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My experience (four SS cylinders) has been that SS reams very easily.

None of the four cylinders that I reamed presented any problem at all.

I would say "Give it a go."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you a Model 29/629 .44, which chamber exits measure smaller than .430-inch? What diameter exits (throats)?
Using a pin gage (I know, not the best), a .429" minus passes tight and a .430" will not even start through any of them. My major concern is that when I slug the bore, the slug will not even begin to pass through any of the cylinders. If it would, I would experiment some.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Lead bullet in the throat should be a snug snap through fit, the bullet should go through
with a little thumb pressure, the bore slugging will determine the bullet size you need for lead bullets. If the bore is .429 you will need a .430/.4305 or even .002 over bore would be fine. Slug the bore and adjust the throats to accommodate the bore.
I would never mess with cylinder throats without knowing the barrel size.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slug the bore
As I mentioned, I have slugged the bore already. Good luck in accurately measuring the 5 land and groove slug without the proper tool. I know my throats are .429" minor diameter and smaller than the groove diameter. I also know a .430" bullet would have to be driven through the throats with a hammer, thumb pressure gets you no where.

My experience has been similar to Iowegan's in the "Lead Bullets and Revolver" paper and slugging "For the most part, this is a fruitless effort that will often yield false information. ... So basically, slugging a bore is usually a waste of time and will likely result in a false reading so it's best to trust the factory's SAAMI spec dimensions."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts