Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try and make this short. Just needed some advice on what to do … My neighbor is a single mom who works a lot and she has a 14 year old daughter who is growing up to be a very beautiful young lady and usually stays at home by herself during the day. She's at the age where she's developing and she's a sweet girl but I've been noticing that when she's outside walking the dog or helping her mom with the yard, some of the boys in the neighborhood will start walking by and cat calling her to get her attention. She always retreat back into her home. So I had a small talk with her and her mom a few months ago and basically said that if anyone ever messed with her or if she got a bad feeling about anything to just come get me or my wife and we'd take care of it. I wanted her to know that she could trust us and we would defend her and have her back.

Well the other night I had come back from getting groceries and when I stepped out of the car I saw her on her front porch and as soon as she saw me get out she says, "Hey Mr. Revolverguy." She had a scared look in her eyes and I knew right away something wasn't right. I question, "Madison are you okay?" And she sort of looks down and looks toward the side of the house where I see two teenage boys standing by the bushes. I ask her, "Do you know these guys?" And she responds, "no but they won't leave." It was hard to make out their faces as it was dark but one was smoking a cigarette and they had that thug look. I walk over a little closer and they start taunting me. "Whatcha gonna do old man? Who are you? Her dad? You don't scare us..", that sort of thing. I shouted back and told them in short to "get the F#@* out of here!" I was so loud I'm pretty sure it shocked them and they were not happy. I stood there watching them eye to eye the entire time as they're giving me the finger until they disappeared down the street. I go back to check on Madison who was a little shaken up. She told me they kept saying they wanted to do dirty things to her and she was hoping I would get home soon (my wife worked late that night). I don't have kids. But honestly I feel bad that young girls are dealing with this stuff all the time and without a dad around, it must be hard.

Anyways after that night those two teen thugs have been continuing to show up but instead are congregating across the street from my home and obviously watching me. I know I've upset them. I can sense it. I don't think they live in this neighborhood and I'm pretty sure they're from an apartment complex down the road. I'm just tired of seeing their dumb asses show up every night and I'm hoping this is completely harmless but being they are teenagers should I say something to them, just let it go, or escalate it to the police?

·
Registered
147 Posts
+10, but be prepared. From the sounds of it the don't sound like they scare much. And getting the police involved may get them to retaliate. Don't back down. Be it needs to be on record so that if you HAVE to do something there are prior actions on the thugs part. It is a shame that there are kids like that around. 20 years ago you could have walked over and smacked the stuff out of them and they probably wouldn't have come back, today if ya did that they will either sue ya or stab ya. Good luck, and I praise your good heart and good intentions. I will say a prayer for you and your neighbor for a quick and peaceful resolution, Coogs.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, great advice. In my time if I were to have talked to an adult like that I'd have been smacked upside the head but I know how things are these days... we'd end up on YouTube and on the nightly news. I was carrying a knife on me at the time and was trying to keep my cool. It makes me so angry how a lot of teenagers have no respect.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yep call the cops. They won't do anything but you will be on the record as having complained about the situation. Call every time they show up. That way if you ever have to show them the business end of a revolver well there will be a history of taunts and implied threats.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Would the young lady in question be able to get an injunction because they are stalking her? I don't know much about the way these injunctions work. Will the thugs say the are just walking down the street minding their own business? Does she have to prove they are stalking her?

Due to the much talked about War on Women, I would think that the legal/justice system would take this stalking issue seriously. I'm not trying to be funny here, just saying that if a 14 year old girl is getting harassed and intimidated on the premises of her own home, there should be something that can be done.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Seeing as how you are not sure how old they are, be VERY careful to avoid any physical altercation seeing as how most liberals will slam you with assault on a minor, no matter what the reason. Cops, and be a good witness.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Define "thug look" please.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Seeing as how you are not sure how old they are, be VERY careful to avoid any physical altercation seeing as how most liberals will slam you with assault on a minor, no matter what the reason. Cops, and be a good witness.
+1

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Would the young lady in question be able to get an injunction because they are stalking her? I don't know much about the way these injunctions work. Will the thugs say the are just walking down the street minding their own business? Does she have to prove they are stalking her?

Due to the much talked about War on Women, I would think that the legal/justice system would take this stalking issue seriously. I'm not trying to be funny here, just saying that if a 14 year old girl is getting harassed and intimidated on the premises of her own home, there should be something that can be done.
With her description of what they said I have no doubt she could get a protective order - but it sounds like she doesn't know who they are. Definitely need to get the cops involved and take the lead from them. Most, not all, but most police departments today have finally "got it" on stalking, especially on young girls. But don't ignore that they are a threat to you too.
Make that part of the conversation for sure.

And for the unpopular opinion - we've always had thugs. As the perpetual new kid in school (7 high schools) I was a frequent target as I had no "posse". As long as there's been people there's been sociopaths. They're better armed now though.

Is it a good thing they seem to be fixated on you now? Objectively - yes. But dammit, I really hate to see you being put in this situation because you're trying to do the right thing. Have you talked to the other neighbors? Maybe some other folks would be willing to help with a little informal neighborhood watch to at least keep their eyes and ears open.

Good luck with all this. You're a good man.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
With her description of what they said I have no doubt she could get a protective order - but it sounds like she doesn't know who they are. Definitely need to get the cops involved and take the lead from them. Most, not all, but most police departments today have finally "got it" on stalking, especially on young girls. But don't ignore that they are a threat to you too.
Make that part of the conversation for sure.

And for the unpopular opinion - we've always had thugs. As the perpetual new kid in school (7 high schools) I was a frequent target as I had no "posse". As long as there's been people there's been sociopaths. They're better armed now though.

Is it a good thing they seem to be fixated on you now? Objectively - yes. But dammit, I really hate to see you being put in this situation because you're trying to do the right thing. Have you talked to the other neighbors? Maybe some other folks would be willing to help with a little informal neighborhood watch to at least keep their eyes and ears open.

Good luck with all this. You're a good man.
+1 on this and all previous advice about getting the police involved. Take pics and videos if possible to have as evidence, in case they'd needed in the future.

·
Registered
571 Posts
as already recommended, get pictures (video if possible) of them, make law enforcement aware, let them know you have pictures and if anything jumps off, they will be the first ones the police focus on .... unfortunately, until they do something illegal, they have more rights than your do .... at this point you can set the stage in your favor and hope that if they realize it, they will move on

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,543 Posts
Let your tax dollars work for you and allow the cops to identify those thugs. It shouldn't take more than one visit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Call the police and let the other neighbors know what's going on too. A few more eyes on things can't hurt. Watch your back and good luck. We need more like you

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,246 Posts
Define "thug look" please.
Not sure what is confusing to you about this. It seemed to make sense to me. Once one gets out of the innocence and naïveté of childhood, most humans have the ability to perceive people who are up to no good. It's a combination of body language as well as the common sense ability to discern normal versus abnormal behavior relative to the environment and situation.

If you haven't read it, you should pick up a copy of the book "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker. It's a must-read for anyone interested in personal safety. The author makes the case that humans are born with exceptional ability to "read" a social situation and body language and speech patterns, and know when something is wrong. Unfortunately there is a modern, liberal-wussy-driven trend toward political correctness that can get you hurt or killed if you fail to listen to that instinct. All too often people are victimized because they thought something was wrong, but ignored the warning signs because they didn't want to come across as "harsh" or "judgmental".

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,246 Posts
Revolverguy, very decent of you to be a good neighbor, and a good man who doesn't turn his back when others would say, "it's not my problem". The last thing piece-of-garbage punks want is negative attention and scrutiny. Don't back down. Have the police over to their places every time they are loitering. Were they on your neighbor's private property when they were standing there that night? Keep a camera with you and get a photograph of them trespassing then throw the book. Tiny HD cameras now are less than a hundred bucks; put one on your house and get video of them the next time they trespass when you're away.

Keep us updated!

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
YUP. Start calling the police, and put up camera's, and film them when you can. Sooner or later they will "cross the line". Have ALL the information you can collect. I know its irritating. Ive seen it too. They taunt and cat call, and you just wanna beat the sh#t outta them. When the cops get tired of getting calls, they will start arresting and writing.

Watch your back.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts